Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
JR Boucicaut

Nike/Bauer Vapor XXXX Pro

Beer Leaguer, 6', 230lbs, Long Fingers, Past favorite gloves: Louisville HG1, TPS HGT, Mission M-1 Pro, NBH 4-Roll

I should note two things- these XXXX Pro's were custom and are not nylon, they also do not have the retail palm (based off of the catalog pics)

Fit

These gloves are a tighter fit, but they do not seem as tight as the xxx's. The padding through the fingers and back of the hand is not as soft as the 4 Rolls, but is sufficiently comfortable. The fingers seemed short for me at first, and I really didnt like the gloves because of that, to be honest. I've broken them in now and none of my previous complaints are an issue- it's a really flexible, mobile, and comfortable glove. In the past I have always preferred a loose, classic fit, with the 4rolls being the most comfortable gloves I have ever worn. I would say the loose fit and "luxurious" (to quote DarkStar) interior padding of the 4rolls give them an edge in comfort, but the fit after break in of these 40's is really amazing. The gloves do not in any way impede my hand movements. I find I can vary the way I hold my stick with much more control- really putting the stick in my fingertips for dangling and such. The thumb mobility is excellent- better than anything I've worn.

Protection

I have not taken any pucks or hard slashes as of yet, but the regular beer league and pickup hand contact has not been noticeable. I'll update if I take a hard slash or puck.

Weight

These things are LIGHT. Very, very light. Even when they are wet after a game they are still really freaking light.

Durability

So far after a dozen or so skates there are a few scuffs on the exterior, but no cuts or tears. I noticed when they were new that some of the embroidery around the logo on the cuff had torn/pulled the exterior material a little along the edge of the stitching. Made in China gloves- reminds me of the fit and finish of my made in Thailand skates. In the right index finger the foam padding along the top of the finger seems to have separated already- this bugs me, my M-1 Pros did this too and it annoyed the hell out of me. I hope it doesnt get worse. I am about to bust through the palm on my upper hand already, but again, I dont think this is the retail palm.

Intangibles

I dont notice the gloves on the ice most of the time, but when I do this is what I find: The ease in retrieving a lost stick, the gained dexterity of the fingers, and the feeling of having really light gloves on.

Conclusion

I wont be back in my 4-Rolls until repalming time. That about sums it up- I really like these gloves, even though my initial thoughts were not so great. We'll see how long they last, I am a little worried about the area I mentioned on the cuff coming apart- I'll update if I have an issue. I'm hoping the issue in the index finger does not follow suit among the other fingers- that could drive me out of the gloves. As far as mobility goes these things are great- I really like them, and coming from a guy who in the past never really got along with tighter fitting gloves that is really saying something.

Just an update- I've taken some pretty nasty slashes recently- and I felt them.

I wasn't injured or bruised- but at least once I had to shake it off.

Just be aware if you are a grinder- there is a trade off for the lightness and mobility- these arent bullet proof like the 4 Rolls.

Previous gloves: Mission M-1 Pro, MissionHE750, Easton Z-Air custom, NBH Supreme ONE90

Fit

The latest incarnation of the Vapor line, this glove is a bit more streamlined than past Vapors, and falls in a nice spot between last year's Vapor and the ONE90. The split fingers and segmented padding has been a nice touch. Goes on the hand easy and very flexible. I was not a fan of the XXX because of the roominess of the glove, and while I was a fan of the ONE90 due to the fit, this one falls right in between.

10/10

Protection

Although the glove does have plastic inserts, I think this is the only negative aspect of the glove. It doesn't seem to disperse impact well - I can feel punches to the top of the glove, let alone a slash. The regular XXXX do a better job, so if protection is your concern, you'd be better off looking at those.

5/10

Weight

Ridiculously light. The fact that it is a bit more streamlined allows for lesser weight.

10/10

Durability

The nylon has held up very well - no rips or seams. I normally blow through palms really easily, the nash palm is actually a bit thicker than other "pro" palms. It has gotten a bit crusty however. Will most likely change palms as soon as it goes, whenever that is. But for now, they have done the job.

9/10

Conclusion

I like the fact that it makes your hands feel small. It definitely cuts down on bulk - you don't even know you have them on. Definitely not a grinder's glove and a great value for those looking a high-performance glove without breaking the proverbial bank.

8.5/10

I have the Bauer XXXX Pro 14” Gloves.

FIT (10/10):

I had no idea how a hockey glove should fit my hand until I tried these bad boys. They are very comfortable right from the gate. The supple feel and easy maneuverability made for an easy transition from my previous gloves. I enjoy the easy wrist movement the xxxx pros have to offer and the taper fit/feel. It is without any difficult when moving the fingers independently from one another.

PROTECTION (7/10):

I do not endure many slashes or dirty tactics, but when the puck hits my glove I FEEL IT! Otherwise any board play or rub-outs near it, the gloves seem to be adequate in protection.

WEIGHT (9/10):

The glove is very light-weight and seems unnoticeable when on the ice. The nylon material coupled with the tapered design helps reduce the weight and any bulk of the glove.

DURABILITY (8.5/10):

The nylon exterior of the glove and the embroidery on it are holding up very well. It is only the screened on areas of the glove that seem mostly susceptible to cosmetic damage either from the puck or a stick hitting the area. In regards to the palms, I find that any palm I’ve used there will be a slight piling up the upper hand no matter what, same is true with this glove.

CONCLUSION:

I love this glove so much I have been looking for other xxxx pro gloves. I find it to be that great of a quality glove. I do not see myself switching to another type of glove in the near future. This is not the type of a glove for a grinder or those who are in “chippy” situations, but for those who see themselves in the open ice and one on one situations.

5'10" 180 lbs

Beer League

Play 3-4 days a week

Medium Sized Hands

Vapor XXXX SE other gloves used Bauer 4-Roll and CCM 4-Roll

13"

FIT: 10/10

The one thing I really like about the glove is that it fits my hand right out of the box, no break in period.

Protection 8/10

Although Bauer put in a honest effort to make the glove as protective as possible with out sacrificing weight, it is not bombproof took some hard slashes to the hand which left my hand trembling after the game, what I do like, is the floating wrist protectors they give you solid protection from that once in a blue moon cheap shot on the wrist

Weight 10/10

Extremely light, probably the lightest gloves for that price point and protection.... feels like your not wearing anything at all.

Durability 7/10

After only three months of use the glove is starting to unstring in the index finger and thumb, not really a big deal but still when your paying 100 dollars for a glove you expect it to last at least season

Intangibles

This glove is LIGHT and the pro style ultra thin palm really gives you a great feel for the stick

Conclusion 8.5/10

I am usually a classic look hockey player, but I got bit by vapor bug with this glove, the Vapor XXXX's might not be as durable as my 4-rolls but the XXXX's have to be my new players pick and plan on getting another pair

Edited by hampshirepuck