Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jrphantom042

Goalie sticks

The biggest problem with composite goalie sticks is durability. The blades and paddles in particular get chipped up very, very quickly; paddles can be caved in by hard shots at the right angle, or have chunks knocked out of the edges. Sure, you get a little more pop on your shots and stick-saves, but it's not worth it unless you're not paying for your sticks or price is no object.

The only composite goalie sticks I've seen that don't exhibit these problems are the Montreal (now Warrior) sticks, and they're amazingly expensive.

The most durable goalie sticks are high-quality solid wood with a composite (usually fibreglass & kevlar) covering on the edges of the paddle and blade; maintain good tape jobs and a wax coat on those, and they'll last for ages.

My little brother has gone from a CCM Vector 6, to a Pro Stock SOP, to a Bouche Pro Stock Montreal, to a Composite SWD RM5, to a Warrior Fortress, to a Nike Bauer one95, and now he's using a Pro Stock Nabokov Torspo. He says the Torspo is by far the best stick he has ever used. The only thing is the Torspo is not retail so if he breaks it then he can't get another one.

I've just ordered the Harrow 300 stick for my Buddy with the G39 pattern. Similar to Hasek TPS...

I'll keep you guys posted with his impressions when he gets a chance to use the stick.

A small update to my previous post:

I can now add a second composite goalie stick to my Approved List. The Combat (formerly Ballistik) .52 Calibre has continued to take a beating with no signs of giving up the fight. It's a True Temper stick, so that level of durability should come as no surprise, but I'm still stunned that someone figured out how to make a true one-piece composite goalie stick that's as durable as wood. I'm seriously impressed.

Long-term review will be updated shortly, but I just wanted to chime in here.

I have used the Montreal goalie sticks exclusively for the past 2.5 years. I swear by them. Uber durable and with the longer shaft, gives me more leverage to shoot the puck off the glass.

Now that Warrior is involved with Montreal, I hope they don't cheapen the sticks in anyways by switching materials...etc.

I second that. Love the Montreals. A bit soft when you start taking it out on the pipes :-). Otherwise nearly perfect.