Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jrphantom042

Goalie sticks

IM in the market for new goalie sticks. I wanted to know ones other goalies use? and wat would be the best for me? I like to play the puck alot. i am butterfly and like a 25 1/5 Inch paddle to a 26 1/2" paddle. and ideas of suggestions? thank you very much for chya time.

I love the TPS Omega/Response (non composite) stick. I can't use such a light stick in goal; I prefer to have a little weight. Anywho, I love the stick and get the Hasek/Lundqvist paddle cut. Not sure if there would be a paddle length that would match you. The rbk pro sticks are also good sticks, and you would just have to find a pattern and color you liked.

TPS Omegas (now called 'Response Aircraft Core or something loopy like that) are fantastic sticks, especially if you can find ones with a Kevlar wrap over the toe of the blade. The first one from my pro-return 6-pack lasted fifteen months of three to four sessions a week, and I'm really, really active with my stick. I actually gave the stick to a buddy in order to try a new one from the pack and didn't notice a difference. He gave the stick back to me three months later, and it's still in decent shape.

I personally have a couple RBK X-Pulse 10s. They have held up fantastic and I have taken a lot of hard shots to the paddle and the the stick. It is very lightweight for being a wood and graphite stick.

I have just recently started playing nets again after a 10-15 year break or so. I started back in July of last year. So far I have only used Sherwoods and one TPS Response. Three of the Sherwoods were wood and my present one is OPS. The TPS response was a OPS. I have used a Sherwood 530, 5530, 9950 and now the RM9. I must say that of all the Sherwood I like my RM9 best. The TPS I had was an order from Cyclone Taylor. They had it on sale for 99$ plus taxes and Shipping down from 235$. A great deal although the color did not match my equipment at all. I called them up to find out what sizes they had as they did not show it on the website and was told that it was a 26.5 inches Paddle. Being used to a 27 inch paddle on the Sherwood I thought half an inch wouldn't make much of a difference and ordered the stick. Ends up that .5 inches shorter was really actually 2 inches shorter. The TPS was a 25 and not a 26.5 by Sherwoods Standard anyway. Why do I mention that? As I found out, no two goalie sticks are measured the same. I went to my local shop and tried a 28 inch TPS respsonse and it was still shorter than a 27 inch Sherwood... Lesson learned I must say. I don't know what you play with right now but my suggestion would be to make sure you measure your sticks side by side with what you are used to play with in order to make sure that you get the appropriate size paddle.

That being said, I like my RM9 very much. Very stiff, fairly light and seems pretty solid so far.

Hope that helps

I've been using the Sherwood 5030 for a couple years now and love it. Very light weight and you can get it in different paddle sizes, I have always used the 26".

have been switching back and forth this year from montreal and sherwood 9950. have to give the edge to the montreal on this one. little bit better feel and balance. same pattern on both sticks, but i seem to be able to shoot better with the montreal. but damn the lime green color is ugly. haha

I always loved the khabibulin model, whether it be from NBH or from Reebok... both are exactly the same and both do wonders for handling the puck.

I have used the Montreal goalie sticks exclusively for the past 2.5 years. I swear by them. Uber durable and with the longer shaft, gives me more leverage to shoot the puck off the glass.

Now that Warrior is involved with Montreal, I hope they don't cheapen the sticks in anyways by switching materials...etc.

I have used the Montreal goalie sticks exclusively for the past 2.5 years. I swear by them. Uber durable and with the longer shaft, gives me more leverage to shoot the puck off the glass.

Now that Warrior is involved with Montreal, I hope they don't cheapen the sticks in anyways by switching materials...etc.

I'd be willing to bet that Warrior won't change anything about the sticks besides the graphics

I'd be willing to bet that Warrior won't change anything about the sticks besides the graphics

Just like they did, or didn't do, with Inno

Just like they did, or didn't do, with Inno

exactly

Marc here, new member, though I have been on Goaliestore for awhile. I used to use Heaton 10 (Brodeur) but was practically given a Sherwood 9950 (Lalime) both 26' and I notice a big difference. If only goalie gear wasn't so expensive in Texas ..

The Brodeur H10 was legendary... great stick.

Had a brodeur H6 and i loved it, was a sad day when the shaft split. Used Sher-wood 7000's since and on average they last a year of 2-3 sessions a week of rec level hockey with the occassional tourney.Very light and durable feel for a wood stick and reasonably priced too. I'm down to my last one now and can't find the theodore pattern(25inch paddle) I had been using anywhere so settled on 25in Lalime 5030sc's from hockeyoverstock.com .For $50 a stick if they perform like the 7000's i'll be extremely happy :) Oh and for the record steer clear of RBK 2K (or so i believe, it was black anyhow) sticks, tried the other goalie on our team's one and it sucked! Really heavy and clunky feel even for a wood stick plus it's about the same price as the superior IMO Sher-wood.

Someone mentioned the subtle differences in lengths. I have been using Sher-Woods for a number of years now but price is secondary for me. Get what feels good.

I'm one of those budget goalies. I mean I don't use duct tape or anything like that but I choose to be frugal towards gear. I obviously have too much tape on one stick but I think it is the Sher Wood 5030 SC Thibault from a few years ago which has a bit longer handle and barell compared to the 5030 SC Lalime but generally the difference in price can be something to think about. I quickly got use to a somewhat shorter stick when sometimes the difference in price was $20. But that is based on old data and the short memory of a breathing puck depository.

Incidentally, I recently aquired a Reebok composite senior, Luongo branded 7K stick for an absolute smoking price but I wonder what I can expect from it. I am down to only playing roller hockey four hours a week so wood sticks can last me a year or better. What do I need to watch for if I play with composite sticks such as this Rbk 7K? Never used anything but wood before.

If there is a previous thread discussing the composite sticks, feel free to linkie me here.

since I don't have any experience with composite goal sticks, I would assume the same problems exist as with player sticks when comparing wood to composite - less feel on the puck, increased vibration on contact with the puck, possible weight balance issues, and the fact that the puck is more likely to bounce further off the blade than a wood stick which has more give.