Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Penguinsfanatic

This was sent to me in an email

There are 7 girls in a bus

Each girl has 7 backpacks

In each backpack, there are 7 big cats. For every big cat there are 7 little cats

Question: How many legs are there in the bus?

i think i am just retarded but i cant figure it out can someone help me? It has just been eating at me since i got the email lol

14 legs for the girls

7 big cats = 7x4 = 28 legs

7 big cats x 7 little cats = 49 little cats = 49x4=196 legs

total legs = 196+28+14=238 legs total

unless im overlooking something lol

i guess it could also be 14 since it only says the girls are in the bus, but doesn't specify where the bags are.

haha....man is my math bad lol i kept getting a number just a little bit larger than yours pantherfan but it opened up in an email with excel and broke it down in with what everything was but the password was the correct number of legs in the bus, after you gave it to me i worked my math out backwards lol....my dad sent it to me so he got it from a buddy at work, they must not have anything better to do at work all day lol

anyways pantherfan was right sorry pisani34

14 legs for the girls

7 big cats = 7x4 = 28 legs

7 big cats x 7 little cats = 49 little cats = 49x4=196 legs

total legs = 196+28+14=238 legs total

unless im overlooking something lol

i guess it could also be 14 since it only says the girls are in the bus, but doesn't specify where the bags are.

Your forgetting the backpacks

It doesn't say how many people the bus holds, and if there are any boys on the bus as well?

<_<

But EACH girl has 7 bp's with 7 big cats in each....so it's actually 49 big cats X 7 little cats X 4 legs each.

It doesn't say how many people the bus holds, and if there are any boys on the bus as well?

<_<

But EACH girl has 7 bp's with 7 big cats in each....so it's actually 49 big cats X 7 little cats X 4 legs each.

7 girls x 7 backpacks/girl x 7 big cats/backpack = 343 big cats.

EDIT: ah... you said each.

7 small cats x 7 big cats x 7 backpacks x 7 girls = 2401 Cats...x 4 = 9604 legs + 14 legs of girls totals 9618 total legs.

7 small cats x 7 big cats x 7 backpacks x 7 girls = 2401 Cats...x 4 = 9604 legs + 14 legs of girls totals 9618 total legs.

You're forgetting the big cats legs.

You're forgetting the big cats legs.

That covers that

edited to correct answer.

7x7x7, does that not equal 343...and for each of them, are 7 small cats.. so ergo, I am correct.

Ok, let me try this a different way.

big cats:

7 girls * 7 backpacks/girl * 7 big cats/backpack = 343 big cats

small cats:

343 big cats * 7 small cats/big cats = 2401 small cats

So....

343 big cats * 4 legs/big cat = 1372 legs

2401 small cats * 4 legs/small cat = 9604 legs

7 girls * 2 legs/girl = 14 legs

1372 + 9604 + 14 = 10990 legs

Before you go any further, make sure you have the wording of the email correct. I had someone ask me this same thing not to long ago, but part of it was worded differently. IN, and ON can make a world of difference.