Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thefelixculpa

Hilo to Humm'r transition

Today my NBH Accel Lites became officially useless. My boot had been flexing a lot recently and today it finally crumbled. My LHS has the Cobalt 9.9s for $340 and I was wondering how long I should expect it to take me to get used to the Humm'r frame after skating hi-lo the past 14 years.

This weekend is regional playoffs for NCRHA and I am wondering if I am going to step on the floor and look like an idiot. What would be the best thing to do to try and get accustomed to the humm'r between now and then without any rink access?

I switched to Tours 2 years ago after skating on Missions for 8 years. It took me all of 10 minutes to get used to them. It felt a little weird the first time I skated on the Humm'r but after warmups I felt fine and didn't really notice any difference during the game.

Today my NBH Accel Lites became officially useless. My boot had been flexing a lot recently and today it finally crumbled. My LHS has the Cobalt 9.9s for $340 and I was wondering how long I should expect it to take me to get used to the Humm'r frame after skating hi-lo the past 14 years.

This weekend is regional playoffs for NCRHA and I am wondering if I am going to step on the floor and look like an idiot. What would be the best thing to do to try and get accustomed to the humm'r between now and then without any rink access?

Hi-Lo for 14 years, huh? I remember being among the first to get get Hi-Lo chassis back in '97 before NARCh finals. So, Im not sure what you were skating on 3 years prior, but that's a long time no less.

Anyway, I was skating on them from '97 until the beginning of this year and I can say that I was skeptical to change, but after wearing my brother's Code Carbons, I bought my Code-1s and will say that whatever added benefit you got from the Hi-Lo you will not lose, nor miss IMO.

Im not sure how you will be able to get used to them without rink access, but its not all that difficult at all. The thing I noticed and from others I talked to, they will kill your feet after wearing them the first time. I played 3 hours the first day I got my skates and after the skate I literally had skin peeling off my foot - I do skate barefoot though.

It took me a whole lot longer than 10 minutes to make the transition. Had to be 2 or 3 practices to finally start feeling comfortable on them.

Sure you can hop right on them and skate, but i would wait 'til after NCRHA to make the switch.

Hi-Lo for 14 years, huh? I remember being among the first to get get Hi-Lo chassis back in '97 before NARCh finals. So, Im not sure what you were skating on 3 years prior, but that's a long time no less.

You caught me...I wasn't thinking when I wrote that. I've been skating in Bauers for 14 years...I can remember some weird chassis that made the two middle wheels contact the floor and the back and front wheel not. I hated that thing.

You caught me...I wasn't thinking when I wrote that. I've been skating in Bauers for 14 years...I can remember some weird chassis that made the two middle wheels contact the floor and the back and front wheel not. I hated that thing.

Thats referred to as rockered

yeah i've been skating on hi-lo's for quite some time now, and have switched to hum'ers 2 seasons ago, i didn't really find a big transition period. It felt like i was accelerating slower, and a wider turning radius, which would make sense because of the larger wheels. But in terms of getting used to them, i didn't really have that big of a transition period. However, it took my friend a little bit longer to get used to with his beemers. I think it all depends on your skating style that will affect your transition. I find myself using my heels more than my toes, so that might be a factor?

I went through 6 pairs of mission hi-lo skates, got some tours with the hummers and it took me 15 minutes to get used to them.

just to be safe I would definately try to get on the rink before regionals just in case they take a little longer.

and good luck at regionals cya there

I just switched from an old pair of VSI's with the hi-lo to a new pair of Code Carbons. I wore the skates around the house for an hour or so a few times before skating in them. Definitely different at first, but I think it took me all of fifteen minutes to get used to them. I only really noticed a difference when standing still (the pitch being different I suppose). I'm loving the straight 80's now and would not switch back.

Just bought the 9.9s. If I end up not liking the humm'r, could I put a vanguard on the boot w/o any modification?

I went through 6 pairs of mission hi-lo skates, got some tours with the hummers and it took me 15 minutes to get used to them.

just to be safe I would definately try to get on the rink before regionals just in case they take a little longer.

and good luck at regionals cya there

thanks, same to you. I totally wasn't expecting to be playing this weekend so it's a nice little second life we've been given. Thought we blew it after losing to Bing.

maybe its because I have been skating in low-to-mid end bauers my entire life, but these cobalt 9.9s feel incredible just wearing them around the house. They feel almost as light on my feet as regular sneakers. I can hardly contain my excitement to try em out.

I figured I would post this here rather than make a new topic.

I just bought CCM V08's and had the hummer chassis mounted on them. The guy that mounted them at the store put a piece of fiberglass or plastic between the boot and the chassis to fit the 80's since they don't have a groove. I am switching from old Mission Protos with the hi-lo set up (what i learned to skate on 6 months ago) , so I'm of course noticing a much different pitch which has been difficult to get used to. These make me skate much more on my heels which i hear is normal (?) but I tend to lose my balance backwards every now and then. I've only skated in them for about a week total and though I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with them, I want to be sure that they are actually working as they should.

So my questions are:

1. does this set up look okay or should i have another piece of plastic put in the back to pitch them forward a bit?
  2. I did a search through here on hummers and saw that some people were dremmeling the bottom of the boot instead of raising the chassis with plastic... is it okay to have it done the way i have it?

I don't know much about skates yet but some guy at PIAS told me that the pitch was wrong. (????) of course that will make anyone who just spent $400 on new skates nervous.

Anyway, i could really use some suggestions or jsut affirmation that they're okay. Thanks!

Size 6D CCM V08 with (a small?) Hummer chassis 80d

December-2008024.jpg

I would ditch the plastic pieces and just dremmel it out. The guy must not of know what to do. How much did that whole set up run you, if I may ask.

I would ditch the plastic pieces and just dremmel it out. The guy must not of know what to do. How much did that whole set up run you, if I may ask.

$400. which is why i want them to be perfect. Problem is, I have to pay $30 to get the chassis taken off, $30 to get it put back on and i'm sure no one there can dremel it if they didn't just do it that way to start. I have a dremel but I wouldn't trust myself to not f- it up......

I'm pretty annoyed that I'm finding out this guy didn't know what he was doing and i had to pay him $30 and a week of my time to do it.

if i do dremmel it, how do i get the chassis on/off for cheaper than that???

thanks!

get rid of the shims and dremmel it out.

Its not that hard to dremmel, you're only taking out a small piece so that 80mm has enough room to spin. Either that or ask around your rink about who is good at mounting chassis and knows what they are doing.

get rid of the shims and dremmel it out.

Its not that hard to dremmel, you're only taking out a small piece so that 80mm has enough room to spin. Either that or ask around your rink about who is good at mounting chassis and knows what they are doing.

thanks, i'll do that.

$400. which is why i want them to be perfect. Problem is, I have to pay $30 to get the chassis taken off, $30 to get it put back on and i'm sure no one there can dremel it if they didn't just do it that way to start. I have a dremel but I wouldn't trust myself to not f- it up......

I'm pretty annoyed that I'm finding out this guy didn't know what he was doing and i had to pay him $30 and a week of my time to do it.

if i do dremmel it, how do i get the chassis on/off for cheaper than that???

thanks!

If the "spacers" the LHS guy installed are on both the front & rear mounts of the the chassis, & of the same thickness your pitch will be fine, the only difference will be that you will be the thickness of the spacer material further off the floor. If this is the case, I'd just go skate & not worry about it. You can always take them apart & dremmel your boots later if there is an issue...

Yeah i actually just took them to a local shop to see what they had to say and I was told the guy did a really good job and that the pitch should be perfect. so i'm relieved about that. It also doesn't look like the bottom of the skate is even thick enough to dremel. so the plastic's probably the only way it could have been done. And looking at them more, I agree, the plastic shouldn't make a difference except for the minute height increase.

I'll take a close up photo tonight and post it.