Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

houk

Close call- thank god for cages

One of our very safety minded defensemen cleared the puck right into our bench a few games ago. I took it right in the visor. I was looking the other way and must say it scared the hell outta me.

i wear a half visor, always remember a few years ago only at training was marking a man in the slot he tripped fell and his stick blade went up between my nose and the inside of my visor. The blade edge cut the bridge of my nose from the corner of my eye to the corner of my eye! not nice eyes filling with blood!

but i never learnt still wear it now hehe

Last week my first ice time out i wore a visor and then my second ice time wore a cage. I found that with wearing a visor i could see the ice better, make better passes etc. because the next night i wore a cage and it just didnt seem like everything was going right.

Decided to go back to cage after rocking a half shield for about 6 games or so. I play more intensely with the cage, probably because I have no fear of losing teeth. I'm sticking with the cage for a while.

whenever i wear a cage, I always get high sticked. Usually people following through being careless with their sticks. Probably would have loss some tooth if i hadnt worn my cage. Every time i wear my visor, nothing ever happens. People seem to be more aware when they play against opposing players with an exposed face. Sort of a respect thing i guess.

i hate cages for the simple fact that kids are more careless when they have them on. case and point. there is no major damage from a high stick. so they don't really care if they high stick other players.

i hate cages for the simple fact that kids are more careless when they have them on. case and point. there is no major damage from a high stick. so they don't really care if they high stick other players.

well also throw in the fact that adult league players are overall chippy players. I will never wear a visor/nothing in the adult league I play in. There too unpredictable with their high sticking and aimless bad skating.

Putting my cage back on. There was this one guy that was stick checking like he was Tiger Woods. Held the stick with his two hands real close and was hacking away at everyone. Got his stick under my visor and cut me 1/2" away from my right eye.

And I get a penalty for calling him a fucking, reckless idiot. :rolleyes:

Putting my cage back on. There was this one guy that was stick checking like he was Tiger Woods. Held the stick with his two hands real close and was hacking away at everyone. Got his stick under my visor and cut me 1/2" away from my right eye.

And I get a penalty for calling him a fucking, reckless idiot. :blink:

I like dudes like that. Gives me an excuse to teach them a lesson.

I had to content myself with setting up a next goal after coming out of the box. This guy was much bigger than me (3 inches and 40 lbs more) so I don't think tangling with him would've worked to my advantage.

I had to content myself with setting up a next goal after coming out of the box. This guy was much bigger than me (3 inches and 40 lbs more) so I don't think tangling with him would've worked to my advantage.

Understood. I have a special file in my memory bank for especially chippy dudes.

Story time: Gordie Howe got elbowed by some dude, I think causing some missing chiclets. The dude figured Gordie would pop him back that game...but nothing. Still nothing the next game. And the next. I think a season or two passed before Gordie finally popped him and said it was for the incident a few seasons ago. :)

At least one or more of a friend's teeth were broken this morning at our friendly work pick-up game by a stick deflecting off the post during a shot and getting him in the face, he was just wearing a visor and has no dental insurance as he's at school.

Poor guy.

I have never gotten hit without my cage on, however when I put it on I seem to get the day I put it on. It has happened a few times now.

I only wear it because my mother said I would have to pay for and medical expenses to my face due to hockey.

not really sure how you guys havent figured this out yet,but if your tired of getting facial injuries due to your visor/halfy, try out a fishbowl. If it still feels different to you, try a cage for a couple of weeks, and then switch to the fishbowl. It'll seem like a major upgrade

I took a puck to the side of the head couple days ago, very close to hitting my face and I was only wearing a half visor. it also Knocked out and broke my 00 ear tunnels, of course the only time I forget to take them out...

I recently switched back to a cage. I dunno. I have had teeth knocked out, and had eye injuries before. They arent much fun. The tough guys on here are funny though. I mean, i play hockey for fun. Im not a pro, im just a guy. I dont need emergency room trips and 4 hour dentist visits. I have to work the day after a game. Sadly most people these days seem to have no control on their sticks, and in some cases their shots. Id rather protect myself from that. Plus, i can play balls out down low in the corners and not worry about getting hit.

I get paid nothing to play, so losing teeth or eye injuries just aren't going to go. I really like my Itech Concept 2, doesn't cut down on visability that much. I put the first one I had on after taking a deflected puck to the chin. It was a pretty good cut, but nothing serious. About a week after putting the Concept 2 on I took an out of control shot to what would have been my nose.

I do think coming up playing with cages affected my stick control. Everyone figured that the cage would save the other guy so we might as well go after it.