Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pantherfan

Mouth Guards

I use a Shock Doctor pro for martial arts sparring (hate wearing it for puck) and it's also a good idea to grab a case for transport and storage.

I just throw my mouthguard in my bag..let it sit with my gear for a few days and pop it back into my mouth when I go back on the ice.. is that wrong?

I just don't like gunk and dirt on my mouthguard but that's just me. $5 for a case can remedy that.

I'm fairly certain custom mouth guards come with a case

Added benifit to custom mouthguards: custom colours :lol:

I always get an orange-ish colour to go with my orange jersy :)

Significantly more durable than boil and bite. I have a bad habit of chewing on my mouthguard between shifts and my custom has held up fine over about 6 months, whereas boil and bites usually shred on me completely after 2-3 games.

I use a Gladiator custom mouthguard. It's just like the one from the dentist, but they mail you an impression kit and you send back the impression.

Link: Gladiator custom mouthguards

I used to use the boil-and-bite variety. The custom mouthguard is ten times better. The big problem I had with boil-and-bite mouthguards is that I could never get them to form correctly. The adult size was too big and the youth size wasn't quite right. Guess that's why I got a custom mouthguard!

Sorry to drift, but does anyone wear a mouthguard in addition to a full cage? I'm just starting ice hockey, in a nonchecking league, but want to protect my winning smile. :D I have a full cage, but don't wear a mouthguard. I'm thinking I should be fine, but would like to hear opinions. Thanks!

My philosophy is that I always wear a mouthguard for games. I don't wear a mouthguard for practice because I want to speak more clearly to my friends and coach. I trust that my teammates aren't going to drill me during a practice scrimmage.

I use a Gladiator custom mouthguard. It's just like the one from the dentist, but they mail you an impression kit and you send back the impression.

Link: Gladiator custom mouthguards

I used to use the boil-and-bite variety. The custom mouthguard is ten times better. The big problem I had with boil-and-bite mouthguards is that I could never get them to form correctly. The adult size was too big and the youth size wasn't quite right. Guess that's why I got a custom mouthguard!

My philosophy is that I always wear a mouthguard for games. I don't wear a mouthguard for practice because I want to speak more clearly to my friends and coach. I trust that my teammates aren't going to drill me during a practice scrimmage.

I second the Gladiator Pro which is only $50 - in fact, I'm on my second one with them and they're great. My dentist quoted me $300 for a custom one (crappy insurance I guess) which would be the same basic one as what you get from these guys (customguards.com).

I use a Shock Doctor pro for martial arts sparring (hate wearing it for puck) and it's also a good idea to grab a case for transport and storage.

I just throw my mouthguard in my bag..let it sit with my gear for a few days and pop it back into my mouth when I go back on the ice.. is that wrong?

I just don't like gunk and dirt on my mouthguard but that's just me. $5 for a case can remedy that.

I soak mine in Canadian Club

For the Pro-Tekt mouthguards, between the the Bioguard and Safeguard, since the Safeguard is cheaper, can I assume it is more of a low-profile(thinner) design compared to the Bioguard? I will be wearing a fullcage so was wondering if the Safeguard is sufficient.

All they way up through high school, we had to wear mouthguards for concussion prevention, etc. I had a cheap boil-and-bite, and I couldn't stand to have the thing in my mouth- it felt like I couldn't talk or breathe at all. I recently went with the Safeguard from Pro-Tekt as I moved on to my non-contact days, and it 1) feels stronger and sturdier than a boil-and-bite and 2) fits so well I barely notice it.

Try gladiator mouthguards for $50 you get the highest quality mouthguard available plus they customize with your team logo and your name or number on the side. They advertise in USA Hockey Magazine, thats how I found them.

yeah, or you can look at post #30/#31 ;)

for any of you guys using gladiator, have you ever used a dentist mouthguard? i was wondering if anyone had a direct comparison of the two. i didnt know if anyone had used them both and had a favorite. i'm thinking heavily about going the custom mouthguard route as i really want to get away from the 99 cent mouthguards i have been using for a few seasons now. i never keep them in my mouth cause they dont fit. any info would be greatly appreciated.

for any of you guys using gladiator, have you ever used a dentist mouthguard? i was wondering if anyone had a direct comparison of the two. i didnt know if anyone had used them both and had a favorite. i'm thinking heavily about going the custom mouthguard route as i really want to get away from the 99 cent mouthguards i have been using for a few seasons now. i never keep them in my mouth cause they dont fit. any info would be greatly appreciated.

The Gladiator, Prot Tekt, etc. are all dentist made mouthguards, the only difference is by doing it online you are taking the impressions via a home kit instead of going to the dentist office to make the impressions.

Does Pro Tekt reply to emails?

I emailed them about a week ago and no replies yet.

Not very good customer support.

I don't think I've ever emailed them, however when I purchased from them I received my impression kit in about 4 days and then received the finished product about 10 days after I sent back the finished impression.

The Gladiator, Prot Tekt, etc. are all dentist made mouthguards, the only difference is by doing it online you are taking the impressions via a home kit instead of going to the dentist office to make the impressions.

so are they made of similar materials, thicknesses, ect? same ball of wax, basically its just cheaper via online because there is no "labor" to pay the dentist? or am i way off?

so are they made of similar materials, thicknesses, ect? same ball of wax, basically its just cheaper via online because there is no "labor" to pay the dentist? or am i way off?

Yes they are made of similar materials, the Gladiator is made of EVA and the Pro-Tekt is made of Polyshock. If you go to a dentist you will end up with a guard made of one of those two materials. You are also correct about online being cheaper because you don't have to pay the dentist (and his rent, staffing, electricity, etc.).

Does Pro Tekt reply to emails?

I emailed them about a week ago and no replies yet.

Not very good customer support.

I don't think I've ever emailed them, however when I purchased from them I received my impression kit in about 4 days and then received the finished product about 10 days after I sent back the finished impression.

I called Pro-Tekt when I ordered mine, they were really helpful over the phone. I know they do a lot of NCAA teams, so I used them when I needed a new one after college.

okay so i got a quote for a custom mouthguard from my dentist today and he said it would only be $31. that seems too cheap. am i asking for the right thing? they said they would make impressions so i think its what im looking for but the price kinda threw me off guard. not that im complaining ;)