Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Goalieboy#1

Problem

I have a problem when i B-fly. When i go down my pads close up the 5 hole nice and all, but last weekend some of the dads showed me after a game that when i go down, theres a 1.5-2" gap between my pads and the ice. Its plenty big for a puck to fit through. How do i fix it???

Sorry... wrong one.... was supposed to be in the goalie one.

Are you talking overrotation, the butterfly seam, what?

Boxy pads are made so they intersect with full closure, traditional pads have a contour that leaves holes.

I'm no goalie expert, but aren't you supposed to support the 5-hole with your stick to complete coverage, not relying on the stiffness of the thigh rise to keep the seal? If you've got a paddle and know where a hole is that isn't a technique/equipment mishap, plug the hole?

What model pad is it.

It could be the way your positioning your legs in the butterfly position. Definitely get a picture.

Yes, he is suppose to have his stick in front of the five hole. But if a player jabs at it on a rebound. he can give up a cheap goal for sure.

I bet my life they are hybrid style pads.

I will get a picture in a few minutes. But they are rbk 8k's.

Are you talking overrotation, the butterfly seam, what?

Boxy pads are made so they intersect with full closure, traditional pads have a contour that leaves holes.

I'm no goalie expert, but aren't you supposed to support the 5-hole with your stick to complete coverage, not relying on the stiffness of the thigh rise to keep the seal? If you've got a paddle and know where a hole is that isn't a technique/equipment mishap, plug the hole?

Yes the stick is supposed to be there... But we all know that doesn't always happen.

Yeah, I think its your form. Put your knees down on the inside pad keep your body up and weight little more forward .... it looks like your sitting back, keep the arms in front of your body. They are butterfly pads and they are built to not have the gap that maybe your style created it. I am a goalie coach for a number of years. No expert but that is what I see.

Does look a little weird though....can you tighten the knee cradle. so you can put your knees down. It looks like your far back in the pad. Are your knees in the cradle of the pad or are they too big? Maybe your wearing pads that are too big for you. Looks like your on the back part of a see saw.

....Thats a tough one.

That looks like overrotation to me.

The easiest way to fix rotation problems is by playing with strapping. Set the pads on the floor by themselves, and they'll naurally balance in the butterfly position. Kneel down into the pads, with your kneecaps sitting on the centre of the knee-block, then do the straps up around your legs. Start with the knee-lock, then the toe-ties, then the boot-straps, then the top two straps, then the calf-straps.

The only other possibility - though it's really hard to tell from the picture - is that as Brooklyn said, your weight is too far back. It could be that you're 'sitting down' a bit in the butterfly, lowering your butt and centre of gravity.

If you have very slender legs, another fix could be a pair of knee-pads.

His weight is not in the proper part of the pad. Which it is the size of the pad your wearing/brand.

You can still have the same size pad length, if thats comfortable and you want to be bigger. just make sure its custom fit for you. Measure correctly.

If its a money situation, dont settle just because you like a certain brand, find a retail model that your knee properly fits in the knee lock. Custom pads are expensive. For this exact reason is why they are made.

Find the money and go custom....You need to buy from a person who knows goalie gear and will make sure your getting the proper equipment. I tell parents of the kids I coach all the time, most of the time they listen.

His weight is not in the proper part of the pad. Which it is the size of the pad your wearing/brand.

You can still have the same size pad length, if thats comfortable and you want to be bigger. just make sure its custom fit for you. Measure correctly.

If its a money situation, dont settle just because you like a certain brand, find a retail model that your knee properly fits in the knee lock. Custom pads are expensive. For this exact reason is why they are made.

Find the money and go custom....You need to buy from a person who knows goalie gear and will make sure your getting the proper equipment. I tell parents of the kids I coach all the time, most of the time they listen.

Cant get custom pads. #1 im 14 and paying for a car... cant afford new pads. #2 I dont know if im done growing, it kinda defeats the purpose if im going to outgrow them in 5 months.

RBK's need to be very loose for proper rotation. That includes the boot strap. Be sure your boot strap is through the rear hole of your skate and loose, but not so loose it drags on the ice. My I ask what your previous pads were?

Oh jeez. Well, last pads were 2 sets of xpulse 6.0's. And before that was some itech 7.8 vamps. I had 4 sets of pads in a matter of a year, (growth spurt, breaking pads).

Wow! I bet your parents liked that! X-Pulse is a more of a hybrid pad than your current RBK's. I only asked because 100% of my students that go from a more "traditional" pad to RBK 6,8k don't know that snug straps imped the pad from working properly. It was this every reason why I ditched RBK pads.( I had custom P1's) I hated my leg being so detached from the pad.

Cool. Try those strap adjustments. It took me a little bit before I found just the right balance so you may have to try a few different settings before you nail it. That should solve your problem right up. If you need any further help with your pads or other gear feel free to PM me.