Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tdjb

Adults using intermediate shafts/sticks?

its all about personal preference... Some of the kids I know can get a decent shot off with the 100 flex, and some of the adults use an intermediate shaft. I myself used a 75 flex for about 3 years before going back to a 85 flex... I'm 6ft tall, 190lbs on a full stomach.

almost everyone I lend my sticks to (87 flex with an extension that puts them around 80 flex) is positively surprised about how well they like the lower flex. At the skill level I play at (beer league) almost nobody is able to shoot well using slapshots and wristers tend to benefit from the lower flex so they notice an improvement in feel and puck handling right away.

I cant count how many players in our league would benefit from a lower flex if they tried it. But what is really irritating me is walking through the LHS and seeing a massive amount of sticks with 100 flex rating. I am tall and I put about 2.5" extensions in my sticks because I like em long playing D, but some of the players buy the 100 flex twig and then cut it down and make it even stiffer because they are smaller an thats what is available. Intermediate? Thats for beginners and women!

Last time I was at a LHS I saw a 130flex (XXX-Stiff) 7k shaft for sale and I was thinking who the blip is going to buy that? Why would shops even stock that thing?

The world needs more 75-77 flex senior sticks.

I try to explain all of the above at my training but no one listens.

Im 5"10' and weight 145pounds and anything above 75 flex is pretty much useless to me as im not very strong. I have to cut my stick down by about an inch so im losing a little flex. I use a Warrior MD Grip and with the low flex my slaps are a lot better than they were with my 102 flex.

I just bought a m-2 off Ebay that I thought was a 90 flex but actually is a 60 flex (long story). I did take a few shots with it but really didn't like it that much, I might have to put it back on eBay or something.

Sorry if I missed this, but is the Mission 60 flex shaft a senior? If it's even whippier than a 70 Flex Synergy II/Synergy Elite, than it's just what I'm trying to find for a teammate -- an intermediate flex shaft with regular senior dimensions.

Also, how does the TPS whip flex (listed as 70) measure up next to the Syn II 70 flex? Whippier or stiffer?

Anyone?

I believe there are 60 flex Aldila-made Mission senior shafts - I have eight in 65 flex sitting in my closet right now, though mine are apparently pro-stocks. I'd say the 65's are just a hair whippier than a 70 flex Easton: they take a little less energy to load, but don't feel quite as soft. They're pretty thick-walled shafts, actually. I sent one of them to kovalchuk71, and he wasn't in love with the feel, so you might be able to hit him up for more info or to buy it off him. Personally, they're fantastic for shooting hundreds of pucks in goalie coaching. I don't play anything other than crap shinny and the odd low-level league game, so I really can't comment on generla usability.

I just bought a m-2 off Ebay that I thought was a 90 flex but actually is a 60 flex (long story). I did take a few shots with it but really didn't like it that much, I might have to put it back on eBay or something.

Sorry if I missed this, but is the Mission 60 flex shaft a senior? If it's even whippier than a 70 Flex Synergy II/Synergy Elite, than it's just what I'm trying to find for a teammate -- an intermediate flex shaft with regular senior dimensions.

Also, how does the TPS whip flex (listed as 70) measure up next to the Syn II 70 flex? Whippier or stiffer?

Anyone?

Also, anyone know what the shaft dimensions of the One95 Intermediate shaft are? Closer to a senior or still skinny intermediate? It needs to be larger than the Cyclone shaft, for example, for it to work for my teammate.

If the One95 intermediate shaft is like the OPS, it's closer to intermediate dimensions. I can't comment on whether it's bigger than a Cyclone or not, as I haven't used one. Since you were asking about the Synergy II, have you looked into one of those for your teammate? I have two of them in 70 flex and really like them. If I remember right, the Mission intermediates I looked into were not senior dimensions, and some of them only took intermediate blades. That was why I ended up with the Synergy II, it was one of the few sub-75 flex shafts in senior dimensions and length. I didn't want to have to put a 2"-3" plug in an intermediate and end up with a 55 flex.

Its all personal. If you are not strong or do not have much of a slapper get the intermediate. I try to pick up my shafts at the STL blues pro shop for 45 bucks. Cant beat it, they are used but usually only have one scuff or something on them.

is their pro shop located in the Mills Mall with their practice facility or are you talking about the one at Scottrade?

Anyone?

Also, anyone know what the shaft dimensions of the One95 Intermediate shaft are? Closer to a senior or still skinny intermediate? It needs to be larger than the Cyclone shaft, for example, for it to work for my teammate.

If the One95 intermediate shaft is like the OPS, it's closer to intermediate dimensions. I can't comment on whether it's bigger than a Cyclone or not, as I haven't used one. Since you were asking about the Synergy II, have you looked into one of those for your teammate? I have two of them in 70 flex and really like them. If I remember right, the Mission intermediates I looked into were not senior dimensions, and some of them only took intermediate blades. That was why I ended up with the Synergy II, it was one of the few sub-75 flex shafts in senior dimensions and length. I didn't want to have to put a 2"-3" plug in an intermediate and end up with a 55 flex.

Well I am more confused and frustrated by the moment. 2 retailers told me the NBH intermediate shaft dimensions are the same as the senior on the One95 and X:60. One retailer didn't know and suggested I call Bauer. I called Bauer and talked with 2 different customer service reps and neither of them knew :huh: They told me all the other reps were at a global sales meeting and wouldn't be back until early next week.

So can anyone tell me definitely: Are the shaft dimensions of the One95 intermediate shaft the same as the senior model before I tell my friend to order it.

Thanks for the help so far. Hopefully I can figure this out. Never thought it would be so hard :o

Anyone?

Well I am more confused and frustrated by the moment. 2 retailers told me the NBH intermediate shaft dimensions are the same as the senior on the One95 and X:60. One retailer didn't know and suggested I call Bauer. I called Bauer and talked with 2 different customer service reps and neither of them knew :angry: They told me all the other reps were at a global sales meeting and wouldn't be back until early next week.

So can anyone tell me definitely: Are the shaft dimensions of the One95 intermediate shaft the same as the senior model before I tell my friend to order it.

Thanks for the help so far. Hopefully I can figure this out. Never thought it would be so hard :o

assuming you're talking about the 2-piece and not the ops, i can say for sure that the dimensions on the int. one95 shafts are smaller than the sr. size not in length, but girth as well. not a huge difference in girth, imo, but nonetheless, the int. shaft is smaller. (i've handled both at a lhs and ended up going with the int.).

That's increadible. The guys at both inlinewarehouse.com and totalhockey.com told me they were exactly the same. And as I said Bauer themselves couldn't give me an answer. This should not be so difficult.

So it sounds like my teammate's best option is to go for the Synergy II 70 flex shaft. The problem is that she wants wood blades and finding tapered wood blades is a pain in the ass. Easton doesn't make them anymore, and I can't locate the NBH Vapor XXXX in the pattern she wants (Modano/PM9) at a decent price. That is why I thought the One95 standard would be a good way to go. ARRRRGGGGGHHHHH!

If your size will allow you to use intermediate shafts and its the proper flex, by all means go for it. I'm one of the guys who has likely been using too stiff of a stick for the past handful of years. Started in my teens using 80 and 85 flexes at 135 lbs, but put on 40 lbs of muscle in the past 5 years and went up to 95 and 100 flexes. They work just fine but i'm now discovering the lost art of using a stick in a proper flex for me. Currently using a One95 shaft in 77 flex, but cut down 4 inches to around a 90 flex. I absolutely love it in combination with the great feel of the Bauer shaft. Been strictly an Easton guy for 10 years until I felt this shaft. Now I want to try an 80-85 flex (maybe an ST shaft?) but wish I could match the feel of the One95 shaft in another brand.

Have you thought about trying the TPS "Pro Radius" Whip Flex shaft. It's a senior length, 70 flex shaft that has a smaller radius then the normal Whip shaft. I have a OPS and a 2 piece like this and love them.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/tps-hockey-sha...ius-std-sr.html

which one do you prefer? the r8 ops or the 2-piece standard?

Actually the two-piece, tapered shaft. They are close, but I like the ability to change out the blade and try some new ones. The OPS is a little blade heavy.

I want a whippier stick, but I don't think there's anything I can use. I'm a 5'8' female, and I already use an intermediate stick (currently an XVI shaft uncut, which is a 67 flex), but I wish I could find something flexier. Too bad junior sticks are too short for me, lots of my teammates can use them but I'm too tall :(

I want a whippier stick, but I don't think there's anything I can use. I'm a 5'8' female, and I already use an intermediate stick (currently an XVI shaft uncut, which is a 67 flex), but I wish I could find something flexier. Too bad junior sticks are too short for me, lots of my teammates can use them but I'm too tall :(

try using an oggie grip, it helps increase your flex a lil

Personal Opinion, I hated the Oggie Grip. But part of that may have been the trouble I had getting the grip to fit the shaft I was using.

Try a Supreme series Intermediate. I found the flex felt a little more whippier than the Vapor line. You can get an intermediate One95 for around $65. The TPS Intermediate is a 60 flex as well. That might work for you.

Personal Opinion, I hated the Oggie Grip. But part of that may have been the trouble I had getting the grip to fit the shaft I was using.

Try a Supreme series Intermediate. I found the flex felt a little more whippier than the Vapor line. You can get an intermediate One95 for around $65. The TPS Intermediate is a 60 flex as well. That might work for you.

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that TPS intermediates were 60, I'll have to give that a try.

DevilsFan, I'm 5'9'' and use a junior stick I just put a wood plug into it. It's now my backup stick, switched to a Kovalchuk 10k stick. You should be able to use a jr stick with a wood plug just fine.

I use an intermediate stick too. 24 years old, 5'6 125 pounds. haha I do get ragged on by my teammates saying "67 flex?" haha I just laugh it off and show them what i could do hahaha.

oh yeah just scored on some bauer one95 inter shafts. :D

You can get X60's or One95's in INT length and 60 flex through My Bauer on their website.

If I didn't have both the X60 and One95 retail sticks, I'd spring for one in a heartbeat. Or just tell myself I need a whippier version of both :D

One of these could work too

60 flex R8

You can get X60's or One95's in INT length and 60 flex through My Bauer on their website.

If I didn't have both the X60 and One95 retail sticks, I'd spring for one in a heartbeat. Or just tell myself I need a whippier version of both :D

One of these could work too

60 flex R8

haha credit card!!

anybody using an intermediate Dolomite want to comment on how the radius feels compared to a regular senior stick? is the difference noticeable?

and is the shaft rounded or square?

To me, INT sticks in general feel a bit smaller than SR, not so much that it makes a significant difference, but the difference is noticeable. Compared with Bauer & CCM, my INT Dolo shaft felt the smallest. It is fairly thin with slightly rounded corners and maybe a bit concaved (haven't picked it up in a long time). TPS is fairly thin as well.