Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Karly14

border fees

i remember on corebeam a lot of you guys had ways to minimize border fees, im about to trade with lurch. i got a tsick through ups before and cost me like 75 dollars once, any tips would help us

what i do is when i ship to Canada, I select the "gift" option on the slip and put desired amount of pacage belongings......KC83 showed me this and he's had no problems with border fees....

UPS has the big brown trucks, USPS is the United States Postal Service. USPS is delivered by Canada Post up there.

I've never had a problem with USPS being slow. Just the other week I ordered a blade from New England that got here in a week. I only paid $3 shipping, including insurance.

Like Kosydar, I ship everything USPS and i hear back from people that got it in like 2-3 days....If your shipping to someone thats not on the other side of the US from you, its really quick

Shipping across the border always takes a little longer and shipping to BC always seems to take longer. The post offices in BC are terrible. I know that items have been there for over a week before being delivered.

Shipping across the border always takes a little longer and shipping to BC always seems to take longer. The post offices in BC are terrible. I know that items have been there for over a week before being delivered.

I can attest to this. They'll knock 2 days then finally give you a pick up slip the third and usually the package won't be there when you go to the PO.

Ugh tell me about it.. I bought a shaft from a buddy in Vancouver (mind you I live in BC as well, just up north..) and Canada Post ended up losing the package in their warehouse but didn't realize it for at least two weeks (that's when my buddy went there and asked them). They apologized for losing it and said they'd ship it the next day by priority. Bullshit. They ended up shipping it the cheapest route you could go and it got here a week later.

does selecting the gift option elininate ALL border fees?

no, the gift option is tax exempt for the first $60 CDN. Anything after that you are liable for 15 % tax plus $5 for handling fees.

think about it, if there was no limit fo tax exemptions. Many people/businesses would probably try to get someone/friend in the states to try and ship it as a gift.

Imagine if you bought 10 Easton Stealths and had your buddy ship it from the Sates to Canada as a "gift", the government would lose a big chunk of tax revenue from you on that transaction.

That's true fastmiele, but on the other hand some little old lady in the states buys her grandson in Canada a $200 discman and now the little guy has to pay to get his present?

Its really a shit sandwhich.

You end up paying quite a bit for anything that is marked as gift when the price starts getting into the multiple hundreds.

I had to pay 25 bucks in customs fees to get my S500's, which were clearly marked as a gift.

is it stupid to lie and just say the stick cost 20 bucks or something

Just hope it doesn't break because you can't insure it for more than the declared value.

yea i guess eh, the value of the product probably doenst make much of a cost difference int he shipping price anyhow, thanks alot for everyones input, i owe you all beers

Ship one over to me :lol:

Btw, the $5 handling fee and taxes cannot be avoided. You won't have to pay any extra tariffs if it's marked as a gift but those 2 fees cannot be avoided whether you use UPS, FedEx, or USPS. I had to pay the handling fee for something even as small as a synthesis blade.

is it stupid to lie and just say the stick cost 20 bucks or something

Just hope it doesn't break because you can't insure it for more than the declared value.

that's right, what if you send an brand new Inno True 1 and it breaks. All you would get back is $20 :(

I guess when you are sending used stuff, the value of insurance is not critical.

Regarding lying, that could be a good ideal but be weary of getting some anal customs officer. They might not be so easy going and could make some trouble for you. Imagine if they knew what the true value of your hockey stick ? You and your partner could be subjected to a charge of "fraud". For us mere civilians who get a stick here and there I don't really see a problem, but those people who do business shipping and receiving on multiple packages every week they could be more prone for an "amber" light. I know some friends who were buying/selling quite a lot of stuff on ebay and I don't think could were getting away too much with the "gift" option.

If it was made in Canada you can list it as "Canadian goods being returned" that should prevent any additional duties.