Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

The Hockey Project

I received this from the Director Of Sales at Warrior Hockey today and I think it would be a good idea to announce it here on MSH. We do have quite a few members in the Boston area, however this can be done on a global scale. The link to the site is http://www.thehockeyproject.org .

Hello to my various hockey contacts that I have made over the past. I have a good friend that I met some 25 years ago who has started something special which you can see more about below and by going to his website www.thehockeyproject.org. This is not about getting more people to play hockey which is always nice. But more important about teaching some values to young boys and girls and building character. The fact they will be playing hockey is the added bonus.

Donnie is looking for some equipment for these kids...as they will be starting in about a month. They will range from all ages so though he does not need a lot of x- large stuff…youth, jr and small senior sizes will be accepted. If you have a spare shoulder pad, gloves (even rolls of tape) or something sitting in your back room or equipment room. Or just send them a $5 dollar bill. I am writing to coaches, stores, vendors, parents. All of your donations would be tax deductible.

Feel free to send a similar note to your hockey friends.

Equipment can be sent to The Hockey Project c/o of Don Moorhouse, 19 Mallard Lane, Westfield, MA 01085.

I am writing to introduce you to The Hockey Project and ask that as “hockey people” you might consider being an ambassador for our program.

How do we define “hockey people?” If your Sunday was anything like mine…7 a.m. Mite game, 11 a.m. cancelled Squirt game-turned-practice, catch a period of the Bruins, shovel off the backyard rink…then you qualify.

Many of you have been aware of this program since inception and we have several news items to share. For those of you who are new to this, we hope to get you on board.

The Hockey Project takes at risk kids and puts them on the ice. We believe the game is a great tool for establishing lifelong relationships, teaching

life skills, and promoting academic achievement. The organization provides equipment, ice time, and certified training to kids in our community. We

also hope to offer scholarships for local youth leagues and summer hockey camps.

What if we take a troubled kid out of his or her environment and put them on the ice? A 2005 study shows kids who play sports are 57% less likely to

drop out of school, 49% less likely to take drugs, and 37% less likely to become teen parents. I’m sure many of you, like me, first heard the word

“character” when it was used in reference to a hockey player.

The Hockey Project will run one 10-week introductory program this season, a second 10 week introductory program next season, and a concurrent 20 week program next season for returning players. We will also engage in summer outreach programs to introduce kids to the game of hockey.

In the past few months The Hockey Project has accomplished the following goals;

• Become a registered 501© (3) Organization in Massachusetts

• Received Tax Exempt status from the Internal Revenue Service

• Received a $4,000 grant from the Boston Bruins Foundation via the Mike Cheever “Grow Hockey” grant program

• Entered into a partnership with Entercom Radio (WEEI) to promote our cause

Now we need your help. We would certainly appreciate a donation through our website at www.thehockeyproject.org . Just as important, we hope you would share this email with the “hockey people” in your network and help us spread the word about The Hockey Project. Donors will be listed on a special section of our site and receive the monthly newsletter. Those interested in Corporate Sponsorships can contact me via email.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Donnie Moorhouse

Director of The Hockey Project

This is a great idea and I strongly urge anyone with equipment in the appropriate sizes to participate as much as you are able. I will be going through my gear closet and seeing what I can send their way.

As I said to JR on the phone earlier, manufacturers need to be supporting programs like this instead of blowing the items out on the internet for pennies on the dollar.

Terrific idea. I can't commend them enough for their work getting this off the ground; it's hellishly difficult to get this kind of thing rolling, and they're well on their way.

I've got tons of old goalie stuff I cannot get rid of, mostly brand new. Have to shoot an email, see if i can drive it over...