Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moose

Fix skates that are a bit loose

After blowing out my old Vapor XX's I purchased new Vapor XXV's based on the advice of my LHS that they were somewhat similar in fit and feel. I tried on three sizes (.5 size below what I bought and .5 size above so I could be sure I had the right fit). One was too big, another too small, so I got the pair that fit.

I've noticed now a bit more movement of my foot in the skates now that I've worn them for coaching for a full season and trying them at open hockey for the first time last week. I've noticed after playing a game or two in them that my heel comes up a bit. Does anyone have any ideas for a fix for me? Should I rebake them to see if I can get them molded better to my foot? Thanks.

I got a good deal on a used skate that happened to be a about a half size too big. I had my LHS glue in a little padding on the achilles to push my foot forward and to help lock the heel down. I skated on them last week and it was a huge improvement. I want a little more padding so I left them at the LHS after my game. This time I asked them to go from ankle to ankle just to be sure my foot gets locked down. Nothing is better than a skate that fits properly, but this trick seems to work for me. If your toes are already where they should be, I think padding on the sides only might make more sense.

Not to mention that it is very hard (if not near impossible) to make skates smaller or slimmer. All the practices used by LHSs are for making the boot bigger. Best of luck though!

I had the same problem with vapor XXXXs this year. I had them baked and they felt great in the shop but after a little use my heel was slipping around like crazy. My shop took them back and I now have a credit there so I will look at the 60's or some one 75's. It seems the vapor line is made for wide heels. Great skate if they fit right though.

Yeah... I've thought about getting in touch with the place I got them, but I bought them in October and only did minimal skating as a coach. I played shinny for the first time last week and noticed how much of a hinderance it really was. I'll see what they can help me with.

I'll try relacing them up. I usually tie them as tight as possible too. I wish I could go back and just find a pair of my Vapor XX's online and bought the exact ones.... they were great.

EDIT: Called my LHS and they said something to the effect that there's a possibility that they are not broken in all the way yet (which makes sense as I've skated on them lightly so far) and the ankle lock isn't set in yet. So we'll see- but the lacing might be good.

Just to add a bit about lacing. You might want to check to see if your heel slips or feels sloppy right after you tighten them up? If not then its an issue that lacing can fix but if your heels are all over right after tightening them up then its more likely a boot issue. A lacing method that I would recommend you also look into is backlacing. There are a bunch of threads on here about it but if you can't find them or have any questions about backlacing lmk. I started using it pretty recently and the main advantage of it is that it stays tight and doesn't loosen very much, if at all, after you start skating on them.

I took a mix of two people's suggestions- backlacing and doing the lock on the top two eyelids. Really great- first time since I got these skates that they felt just right. Being from Philly.... I could only feel like Peter Foresberg with the "waaa my skates aren't right" but I'm glad that's done with.