Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cams

Laura Stamm powerskating clinic

Hi all.... does anyone have experience with the Laura Stamm powerskating camp? They are holding a 3 day (2 hr/day) camp in town in 2 weeks (Jul 3-5), and my 10yr old daughter wants to do a powerskating clinic. It's $179CDN. Is this a good clinic? She is also registered in a week long (40 mins off-ice and 2 hrs on ice/day) camp with the Windsor Spitfires the first week of Aug.

I was just looking for feedback/opionions about the Laura Stamm clinic.

Also posted this at HF too...

Superb camp, superb instructors.

I think I recall her book on power skating being helpful too (I'm 98% sure it was her). It was a long time ago.

I did her clinic about 5 years ago, when they were being run by a guy named Steve Mclennan at Skate4Power in either Burlington or Oakville. As far as I know, they have since moved to the East Coast, but if they're the ones running this camp, it will be awesome. I couldn't believe how fast I was going by the end of the third day.

Stamm clinics are very good. I'd recommend a fresh sharpening before hitting the camp. Your daughter will need good edges because she is going to be using them quite a bit.

I'm liking what I'm hearing! She is a really good skater at houseleague level, and she is back playing with the boys this year (after one disasterous year in girls hockey (politcally/emotionally, not-hockey wise) that's a whole different topic in itself). I think it's better competition.... She is also super motivated to improve this year and beyond - her best friend made travel, she wants that too, plus she says she wants to play for the Windsor Spitfires when she is old enough (won't happen - no girls in the OHL), and be the next Taylor Hall, or play college/university hockey/Team Canada.

I think this will really boost her confidence and her skills too. My wife and I are letting her play by her own will, and she wants to do the clinic and the camp later on in August.

Best $150 I have ever spend to improve my game. I recommend reading the book before hand to get a jump start mentally on technique and theory.

I'm liking what I'm hearing! She is a really good skater at houseleague level, and she is back playing with the boys this year (after one disasterous year in girls hockey (politcally/emotionally, not-hockey wise) that's a whole different topic in itself). I think it's better competition.... She is also super motivated to improve this year and beyond - her best friend made travel, she wants that too, plus she says she wants to play for the Windsor Spitfires when she is old enough (won't happen - no girls in the OHL), and be the next Taylor Hall, or play college/university hockey/Team Canada.

I think this will really boost her confidence and her skills too. My wife and I are letting her play by her own will, and she wants to do the clinic and the camp later on in August.

Don't be too sure about that... a friend of mine who played for Harvard's women's team used to train with her local OHL team when she was a teenager. They may not let her join the league, but she can certainly be a part of that community if she wants to - and go on to bigger and better things than the O.

Best $150 I have ever spend to improve my game. I recommend reading the book before hand to get a jump start mentally on technique and theory.

I really want to do the class near Milwaukee. Unfortunately it's the same weekend our summer league playoffs will be happening. Doubt I could skate for several hours then go play a game a couple later.

I really want to do the class near Milwaukee. Unfortunately it's the same weekend our summer league playoffs will be happening. Doubt I could skate for several hours then go play a game a couple later.

The classes are not rigorous on your body, but are on your technique. I don't know what your level of skating is now, but for me it would only improve the way I skated later for the game.

The classes are not rigorous on your body, but are on your technique. I don't know what your level of skating is now, but for me it would only improve the way I skated later for the game.

I don't know about anyone else, but after I finished the 3rd session, a bunch of us went out for drinks, and more than a few of us could barely walk across the street.