Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Ballistik 50 Caliber

To my delight, i cam home from work today to find a new stick sitting in my room, waiting to be unwrapped. My initial impressions of the Ballistik 50 Cal are very good, the stick is very light, and nicely balanced. It definitely feels lighter than the listed 440 grams, and much lighter compared to my NB One90 and shaft/wood blade combo. Like EBondo and Greech have both stated, the stick is a tad stiffer than the 90 it clocks in as, after I cut about 2.5 inches off it feels more like a 95ish, which is perfect for me.

I was lucky enough to use it last night. I got a a bunch of shots off in warm-ups, and was pleased right away. It has a ton of pop, and was loading real well on all of my shots. It took me a little while to get used to the feel, but that is just a product of me using a shaft and wood blade combo for awhile. But aside from that I liked it enough to use it all game, which i was not planning on doing. The only thing I noticed is that there seems to be some slight chipping on the heel of the blade, and ill update how that turns out as I use it more. All in all I really enjoyed using it, and look forward to using it more later this week.

So I had another game a few days ago, and the Ballistik 50 Cal is still impressing me.

Using it a second time around and knowing a little more about what to expect, I really am beginning to appreciate how well balanced this stick really is. My shots were hard and accurate, and I noticed very little, if at all, torquing while shooting. I'm still getting used to the feel a little bit as I have been miss-handling a few passes here and there.

It also took a TON of abuse this past game, and is still looks almost brand new. The chipping in the heel has not gotten any worse, and had someone step on the back of the blade while poke checking, and it is still stiff as the day I received it.

I had another game last night. I am finally starting to get used to the feel of the blade, and it is just making me enjoy using this stick that much more. I again was shooting rockets, had a goal from between the blue line and top of the circles, and was probably one of the hardest shots I have taken in months. I still have not noticed any torquing... despite a few misfires on one timers (my technique was terrible on all of them lol).

The stick is also holding up like a champ. The paint is starting to chip here and there, but it is all cosmetic and that does not bother me. The refs have really been letting alot go the past couple of weeks, so slashing is abundant. A kid slashed me so hard in the taper zone i thought the stick was gonna snap, but there was nary a mark on it.

I let a couple of guys give it a go, and they both enjoyed using it as well. Both were amazed at how balanced the stick was...and even more amazed when I told them this wasn't even Ballistik's top of the line stick.

I am skating tomorrow morning and have playoffs coming up...so more updates on the way.

I had an Alumni Tourney this weekend...so i put the stick through its paces, 4 games in two days.

...nothing new to report, and that's a good thing. The stick is still performing really well. No loss of stiffness, no torquing. Still has just as much kick/pop as the first time I used it. The cracking in the heel still has yet to get worse. There are more signs of wear and tear...but its all cosmetic. It is holding up very well for the abuse it is receiving.

Had my first winter session game tonight.

Playing around in warm-ups, the stick felt a little different, a little off. But that just ended up being a product of me not skating for 3 weeks. After my first couple of shifts I felt great. I'm going on about a month and a half of heavy usage, and the Ballistik .50 Cal still feels like I just got it. Physically, it is really beat up, but that's all cosmetic. No structural damage to the shaft, and the heel still has not gotten any worse. I cant remember the last time that I was this confident with not having to worry about a stick blowing up on a one timer or slap shot. Because of this I'm starting to let the stick do a little more of the work for me, its doing the job well. I'm really starting to love this thing.

Another game tonight, and the 50 Cal is still performing really well. I am noticing a little loss of stiffness in the blade. We'll see how that progresses...I skate again Thursday so I can see if it gets any worse or not.

Unfortunately, my run with the Ballistik 50 Cal has come to an end. The previous loss of stiffness in the blade was due to a small crack from someone stepping on it that previous game, and it finally gave way the other night.

It's too bad, as it had a ton of life left in it otherwise...ill be cutting and/or yanking the blade to turn it into a tapered shaft. I will post pics of the break, and what the stick looks like after the 3-4 months I have used it. Just need to find my damn camera.

All in all, I really enjoyed using this stick, and am really considering getting another. Only thing that is stopping me is all the other new sticks coming out that I wanna try :lol:

I wanna say thanks to JR, Modsquad and Ballistik for giving me a chance to use and demo the stick. Keep it up Ballistik, you guys have some quality stuff on your hands.

Any questions lemme know!