Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Ballistik 50 Caliber

Hey guys, over the next few months, I will be reviewing the Ballistik 50 Caliber stick. First off, I would like to thank Ballistik for providing the sticks for everyone to use. Second, I would also like to thank the Moderators here for giving me the opportunity.

Specs:

Ballistik 50 Caliber

80 Flex

TC Curve (Sakic) Right Handed

440 Grams

Intangibles: When I opened the package, I was impressed on how visually appealing it looked. The stick itself looks immaculate. It is very clean looking with minimal decals and is not gaudy in the slightest bit. The shaft shape reminds me of a cross between the Stealth CNT and the Easton SyNergy SE. I really like it a LOT as I prefer square sticks. Decals look they were put on with care (the important ones at least). I have heard of other members having issues with decals peeling, but I have no such issues. It may be because this stick is higher end, I really don't know.

Balance/Flex: When I picked this stick up I was VERY impressed. Ballistik figured out how to make an extremely balanced stick (while some of the bigger brands still can't). The stick is listed at 440g which blew my mind. The balance makes it feel a lot lighter than that. The Ballistik beats out every other top brand stick I have used in the balance department. As for flex, I received an 80. Id say the flex is on par, maybe a hair stiffer than listed. I cut it about an inch and a half and it feels like an 85. It is a little stiff for my tastes, but nothing I can't get used to.

Performance/Feel: The stick shoots rockets. My first game with it was a very positive experience. Though it was a bit stiff for me as I stated, I still got fantastic kick out of the stick. Very quick release, but nothing different compared to the other high end sticks I've used. Had problems getting used to the puck feel. It felt a little numb tonight. Maybe I have to get used to it, we shall see. The blade is also very stiff. Had issues catching passes with it. But as I stated before, it was my first time ever using the stick so it needs for time for sure. I also kept the stick longer than usual, so I could be getting used to that as well. I know Ponty was having issues with the stiffness, so I'm not the only one.

Durability: The stick still looks new after one time on the rink. Everything is intact (including all decals). Zero paint chips, and the blade hasn't lost any stiffness. Not much to add here yet, as it's only been one game.

Overall, I was EXTREMELY impressed with the stick. I will be sticking with this twig for a while, and not just because I am reviewing it. :)

Had another game last week and went to pickup as well. Stick still shoots rockets.Besides a couple (literally) chips in the paint on the hosel and some paint from other sticks, the stick still looks new. Blade is still super stiff. I am still having a lot of trouble getting used to the blade. It seems VERY lively and I am still having some trouble catching passes. It may just be me and super stiff blades, I really dont' know. I normally use two horizontal strips of tape on the forehand and backhand, so I am going to try a full tape job and see if I can get a little more cushion.

I have games Monday and Tues of this week, so I'll add more after those games.

Did a full tape job (cut the bottom off) and it helped tremendously. Stick is easy to catch passes with now. It is developing a chip/crack on the underside slope of where the heel starts though. I will post a pic when I get home as I am not sure if it is cosmetic or not.

The time has come for the weekly update. Stick is still holding up great. Obviously paint is starting to chip now (from continued slashes and such), but the blade is still as stiff as day one. The chip I mentioned before on the underside of the blade hasn't spread, so all is good. Blade is not really wearing on the bottom either, which is a total plus (I play roller with no tape on the bottom of the blade). Shooting is still great, and I have zero complaints about the stick. I'll give another update in a week or so.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me.

Sorry I haven't posted a review lately. I havent been playing in any games, just practicing for the college roller season in our crappy wooden floor gym. Stick still shoots nicely, no complaints. I did however have a chunk of heel resin/paint chip off of the bottom of the blade about a month ago. It has not spread at all and has not affected anything. I still however, do not like the blade. I still have a lot of problems catching passes with it. I also have gotten a few iffy slashes in practice and the stick only has a few paint chips. I am pretty amazed. I would give the paint a 8.5/10. The blade is still super stiff as well. I would rate that a 9/10. Will update after our tournament, but I may use my new one95 over it.

Update after my tournament. Had a goal with the stick (my only goal too). Blade is starting to split at the bottom, but I would account that more to the wooden floor than to the sticks actual durability. I am still using it and will see how long it lasts. The crack is minor, so it should be a while. Shaft still looks fantasic after taking slash after slash though. Graphics/Decals are top notch for sure.