Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Ballistik 52 Caliber

First off I'd like to thank MSH for this opportunity, and for letting me use the 52 Calibre. The rep swung by my house yesterday (his wife is friends with my mom) and was pretty curious as to how I managed to snag a stick he hadn't even gotten his hands on yet. 

Specs:

Ballistik 52 Caliber

90 Flex

TC Curve (Sakic) Left Handed

415 Grams

Intangibles: Never got to open the package as the rep wanted to see it so he opened it with my brother lol. Am very impressed with the looks - all black with large silver "Ballistik" down the side and "52" near the bottom (similar to Easton S17). Stick isn't quite as matte as the one95, but not as shiny as an SE, partially due to the area where the blade is fused. Some stickers could be have been applied with a little more care, but nothing that is noticeable unless given a thorough inspection.

Balance/Flex: At first I thought this stick was going to float away on me. Similar to first picking up an original Stealth, the 52 has an amazingly light feel to it, yet feels comfortable in your hand and makes the weightlessness a positive experience. Feels like a 90 flex, and upon a standstill flex test gives a nice just above the middle arc in the shaft.  

Performance/Feel: Brother had a session at Puckmasters so while he was on the bike I took some time to play with my new twig on the ice. Puck control is nice. Blade is light and allows your hands quick movement from side to side, back to front. Wasn't able to receive and passes so that will come, but I will admit that game feel and play around feel can be quite different, so take this as it is for now.

Shooting is an interesting one. At first the stick performed like I had hoped, puck left the stick with a nice, low kickpoint feel - no different from an S17. I use a one95 102 flex prostock regularly and this felt like it could compete with it for full time usage in a game, but I could easily go back and forth. As I began to shoot more (and subsequently put on gloves as my hands were starting to slip a bit) I began noticing that this stick wasn't torquing quite as much as I thought it was, and was actually giving off a very nice, accurate kick. I wouldn't say rockets were flying from the blade, but picking off posts from 70 feet was a breeze, usually missing by mere inches if I didn't strike metal. Definitely will use it to start my next game. 

Durability: Shot maybe 100 pucks and no wear yet (not that there really should be). Will try and do about 500 this weekend; blade feels stiff and really hoping that will last. 

Overall, I was EXTREMELY impressed with the stick (sorry, had to steal that from Kovalchuk71, along with the template, thanks!). Coming from and SE16, One95, S17, etc, I definitely had my reservations about using this stick, and how well it would perform. It is a definite eye catcher as it had the owner and coach at Puckmasters coming over to see it, and feel it. I'm quite excited to use it and even though we have a semi final game this friday, and I'm sitting on 5 points in 2 games with my One95, I think this stick will earn a starting spot.

Quick update, started my game with it last night but found it a little short so switched back to one95 after three shifts. Will try and get a plug in for tonight.

Did pick off a wicked hard pass and found the puck literally stuck to the blade. Was a nice feeling.

Got a plug in too add a couple inches and used the stick in a couple pick up games of the past week.

Performance/Feel: Shoots hard and accurate. Quick snap and a nice low kickpoint make for a decent release on a snap shot. Found it quick favorable to take a quick shot while moving, not much has to go into the shot to get a lot of return. Puck control and passing was spot on, couldn't be happier with the feel. For a light stick it feels very solid in my hands and responds to quick hand movements, doesn't feel soft like my one95. Saucer passes are an absolute breeze, but that could partly be the curve.

Durability: So far nothing yet. While the games were pickup and a little slack there wasn't really any whacks on the shaft so accordingly there aren't any nicks on it either. No stickers have peeled, which allows the all black stick to retain its eye catching aspect. Haven't removed the tape from the blade yet, but it still feels the same as when it came out of the package.

Have a practice tonight and hoping to take some slapshots and maybe work on some puck control/passing a bit more. So far I am very pleased though and am promoting this stick to the number one spot, something I never thought would happen.

Update:

Sniped on a breakaway last night, maintaining a point per game average. Really enjoying using this stick. Flex has remained constant and blade feel is great. Really keeps the puck calm on my stick, and passes are sharp and accurate. Cosmetically it has maintained it's appeal: stickers all intact.

Stick took an absolute beating last game and have to say it's still in excellent condition. Small chip near bottom of shaft, but considering the whacks I got it's holding up very nicely. No loss in flex yet or blade stiffness which is very appreciated.

It's been almost 3 months since I gave an update and just wanted to say that the stick is still going strong. Still averaging a point per game, and haven't noticed any loss in durability. Blade is still supremely stiff, and flex is still consistent. Took a couple shots off the shaft as well and cosmetically the stick still looks great.

Another two months have passed and other than my last game I have been using this stick primarily as my number one.

I got some free ice the other day in between reffing and had a nice hour to just do what I want on the ice so I finally got a chance to just shoot around comparing sticks.

As usual, I started with the Ballistik for 5 min, then switched to a Derek Roy CNT/S17 repaint, and then to a Dennis Seiderber one95 with B shaft (lightweight one90). Let's just say I'm not a big fan of the one95 and it rode the pine.

While I have been using the 52 for a majority of the season and playing well with it I found myself using primarily the CNT. The 52 cal is phenomenally light, and while it seemed balanced at first it seemed to be a little more blade heavy now that I had time to use both side by side. It didn't quite have the same snap as it used to either, with shots coming better, harder, and quicker off the CNT.

I ended up using the CNT on the weekend on got two assists with it off of shots from the point. While I felt comfortable using it, I still feel the puck control and feel is better on the Ballistik as my passes just didn't seem right (receiving or giving). I'll switch it up again this week. Hopefully the shaft isn't getting worn out as I have been very happy with it so far this season.

Hmm, it's a couple more months now and the stick is still holding up great. That being said I have switched back to my Roy prostock S17(CNT) for a couple reasons:

One: got a free hour of ice the other day and just went back and forth between the two. I just can't argue that the CNT shoots harder and releases faster. I don't know if this is just due to wear over the past 7 months, but the 52 Cal just didn't seem to have the pop it used to have.

Two: My last two games have had a grand turn out of three defencemen. My stamina is no where what is used to be, but I am able to play the full game conservatively without too much problem. However, The CNT is just that fraction of a bit lighter than the .52 Cal and I find that really helps when I get to the third period.

I have a practice this Saturday and I'm hoping to give it a go there, see how it feels. It's been a great stick and I'd hate to think that it's simply starting to reach the end of its life.

Some good notes though are that the blade is still remarkably stiff - unlike Ogie it hasn't cracked. There are two chips near the heel, but there is no fraying or anything. The shaft is also in immaculate shape even though it got caught under a skate one game and had a bunch of the graphics shave off. Still seems to flex evenly even if it has lost some "pop".