Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Law Goalie

Ballistik .52 Calibre one-piece composite goalie stick

My thought was that if you cut the paddle down, you could comment on the feel and other performance items without being impacted by the extra length.

I understand where you are going, but I thought it would have value as an addition to the rest of the review you are doing.

I had another thought, while reading a different post. Do you have a goalie buddy for whom the paddle length would be more optimal? Perhaps that person could use the stick for a game or 2?

I know, and I didn't mean to jump down your throat. You asked a legitimate question; I just didn't want others to get the wrong impression.

Part of the review does have to do with how they size their paddles, both in terms of how many lengths they offer, and how those lengths are measured in retail sizes (25", 26", etc.). In this case, not offering a shorter paddle is causing me some problems that might be an issue to others. I am doing my best to keep those sorts of intuitive impressions distinct from my other observations of the stick, but if you do see specific places where my judgment in another area might be influenced by the personal preference of paddle size (or anything else), please do point it out.

On top of that, cutting down the paddle just can't be done on a composite stick the way it can be with wood; ditto recurving. There's no way to modify the stick without seriously compromising its structure.

I am, however, very interested to hear that with respect to OPS in general, "Combat (formerly Ballistik) will be offering custom again." I don't know if this includes their goalie sticks, but that would be a very big advantage.

I haven't messed with a composite goalie stick, all my goalie buddies are wood freaks. I didn't think of the fact that the shaft walls would flare out into the paddle. Cutting the paddle down would leave you with a stick with only 2 walls left. You would probably break it on the first good impact to that area or a decent flex...

So much for that idea.

I was just hoping to find a way to eliminate the paddle height variable from the review. It seems that you really like the stick, but the paddle length is showstopper for you. You've done a good job making it clear that is personal preference/playing style that is causing the issue, but I was hoping to go even further. Maybe Combat will read the reviews and whip up a stick with a shorter paddle. ;)

No worries about about hurting my feelings, you comments were fine and understood.

Updated and more or less concluded the LTR after the MSH Summer Jam in Toronto. I also added a couple of sub-reviews by other goalies who demoed the stick for short periods.

All in all, I have been thoroughly astonished by the .52 Cal. It is hands-down the best one-piece composite goalie stick I've ever used, seen, or hear of. Its durability both structurally and cosmetically is nothing short of miraculous - there's an in-game pic in the LTR thread from the MSH skate in which the stick looks new after seven months of hard use - and its performance is so impressive that I've continued to use it in spite of the fact that it's the wrong pattern (paddle, lie, curve, etc.) for me personally.

I couldn't agree with you more. The stick I have is an older version by the same maker, and it's seen more action than Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee and Arnold combined! Yet, it is still as structurally sound as the day I got it. There are some dings, and mine is white, so a ton of puck marks and skate cuts, but it's going strong. I might even get out there and use it this weekend.

Is there a place in SE Michigan where these sticks are available? I'd like to take a look at them and then match the paddle up against the stick I'm currently using, as there seems to be little to no meaning to comparing paddle lengths between manufacturers. The Combat dealer list on their website is a bit thin in the U.S.

Is there a place in Michigan where these sticks are available? I'd like to take a look at them and then match the paddle up against the stick I'm currently using, as there seems to be little to no meaning to comparing paddle lengths between manufacturers. The Combat dealer list on their website is a bit thin in the U.S.