Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mgd150

NYC

Im looking to jump into the Division 8 league at Chelsea. (first ice hockey experience)

Anyone have details on the skill level and cost of said league?

Thanks

It really depends on how much hockey background you have. If you played rollerhockey (at a relatively high level) and it's just a matter of getting the feel for ice, it would be good for a season. After which you would probably want to move up.

If you are new to hockey in general you may want to try the developmental league which seemed to have helped a lot of people I know that are now playing in D8.

A girl I dated played in D8 and she started out in the dev. program and gave it high marks.

Skill level is low; but every team has a a couple of ringers (sad, but true). The atmosphere is fun and most teams go out for drinks after games.

Cost shoud be on the chelsea piers website, but is usually around $550 per player for the season.

This was also my first ice hockey experience coming over from roller hockey. I played in D7 with my cousins and it was a blast. Same problem with ringers here and there but funny enough my team beat a team using a bunch of ringers to win the championship two springs ago. Its competitive but not overly so. Definetly worth a try and I believe the previous poster was correct $550 for registration. I dont know how many games you get in D8 but in D7 we had an 18 game season. Hope this was helpful!

You may want to consider City Ice in LIC. they have a division for beginners, and even adult clinics. I'm sure since you are a beginner you won't notice that the ice is much much better than Chelsea.

It's a 5 minute walk from the 7 train, which def beats walking over to 13th ave or waiting for the deathly slow M23.

If you drive LIC also has free parking vs. 18 bucks. about 5 minutes once you get over the 59th st bridge.

They even have equipment check for 120 a season as opposed to tiny locker for 600 bucks a year.

I am a Chintzy Piers hater, but I still skate there 3 times a week so I can get my fill of hockey.

You may want to consider City Ice in LIC. they have a division for beginners, and even adult clinics. I'm sure since you are a beginner you won't notice that the ice is much much better than Chelsea.

It's a 5 minute walk from the 7 train, which def beats walking over to 13th ave or waiting for the deathly slow M23.

If you drive LIC also has free parking vs. 18 bucks. about 5 minutes once you get over the 59th st bridge.

They even have equipment check for 120 a season as opposed to tiny locker for 600 bucks a year.

I am a Chintzy Piers hater, but I still skate there 3 times a week so I can get my fill of hockey.

Wow, thanks for the info. I'm definitely going to look into the beginner division at City Ice. I live on the upper east side, so it will probably be an easier trip than getting down to the Piers.

Wow, thanks for the info. I'm definitely going to look into the beginner division at City Ice. I live on the upper east side, so it will probably be an easier trip than getting down to the Piers.

Not sure if you have a vehicle, but we play at the Ice House in Hackensack, and it's a pretty good rink. Clean, locker rooms on the small side, but I would reccomend it.

Adult Spring League at Ice House starts in early April. If you want to get in, now is the time to contact the hockey department. Individual sign-ups start in D8. The hockey department will create a team from individual sign-ups. Spring season runs to end of June with better start times than the Winter League. PM me if you need a rink phone number.

Adult Spring League at Ice House starts in early April. If you want to get in, now is the time to contact the hockey department. Individual sign-ups start in D8. The hockey department will create a team from individual sign-ups. Spring season runs to end of June with better start times than the Winter League. PM me if you need a rink phone number.

DO IT! Ice House Crazy 8's! B)

Unfortunately I don't have a car, that would make a lot of things much easier though. Lugging hockey gear through the subway and on buses isn't exactly convenient.