Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Bauer Supreme TotalONE - DarkStar50

I have been using the TotalONE skates since the beginning of December. I previously had early release skates of ONE90 and ONE95. I have been extremely satisfied with both of those skates. The ONE95 took the ONE90 package to another level for me. Fit and responsiveness on ice were both improved. MY ONE95 were going strong after 15 months of game time. I took them off for a 5 week period in late October/November to try Vapor X:60. I had worn original Vapor 8(first generation Vapor) and Vapor XX. I was interested in checking out Vapor fit again to compare the difference to Supreme fit. By the end of November, I was ready to go back to my ONE95. The Vapor fit wasn't right for me. I could feel a difference and preferred Supreme fit. Now I knew for sure. Then the TotalONE showed up. Yes, it was perfect timing.

Out of the box fit is important to Bauer. It is one of the things they ask about as initial impressions. My experience with a size 6, D width was fine. The right boot was a tad tight at the inside ball of my foot but I knew baking and leaving the laces snug tied loose down low would be fine. The left boot fit very well before baking. I only make the top three eyelets tied snug tight when I skate. Even then I do not ratchet down on the knot. I like my skates to fit with freedom of movement around my ankles. I play defence so skating backwards is over half my game. I want that ability with my skates to go to extreme angles if necessary. When I baked the skates I also applied additional pressure with my hands below the ankle to help shape the boot. I don't over heat, of course, but want to cave in the boot a bit to help secure lock down in the heel. I have done this with the last 2 Supremes during baking. This process works for me.

Now, when this skates hits retail in mid March, the first time you pick it up, the weight difference with Fusion steel is automatically noticeable. I can hold my ONE95 and the TO and feel the difference. How 27% lighter factored out to feel so different is beyond me but it does.

The Reflex tongue with the Alive insert is also something that you can feel. I was sent only Medium stiffness inserts with the skates. I have tried an extra-stiff insert at the Bauer meeting in October. I could feel a difference going from the medium to extra-stiff insert when just walking around in the skates. It was harder to flex forward with the extra-stiff insert. Now I am 5'6", 140 so extra-stiff inserts would probably be something I don't need but if I was 6'5", 240 then these would be something to consider. So for the big guys, don't throw away the inserts. You may want to try the different stiffnesses.

Now onto the ice for the initial test drive. I skate on 11/16". This keeps me above the ice and increases my glide and stride. I often get to skate on ice that has set up over night and is very smooth. If you have been on ice that is clean but very little water was laid down vs a very good Zam job that has set up properly, you know how much of a difference that makes and what a joy it is to skate on. I had this kind of rink for my first skate. The first few laps were just to get used to the weight and feel the skates under me. The boots were good, the usual get used to feel but no problems. Again, by leaving the laces loose, I am letting the boot do the work. The energy transfer is there through the boot to the blade to the ice. It becomes up to you to work the skate to gain the benefits of it and harness them. After 10-15 minutes, I started to open up laps around the wall and feel the skate under me. The boot was responding with the combination of the lighter steel/boot set up allowing for quicker C cuts and the Reflex tongue working to increase your spring back on that push off and follow through. I skated 40 minutes with no problems for pain, pressure, or discomfort. I knew I could work with the skates and get more out of them, the more I used them. Day 1 was done on TotalONE. So far, so good.

More to follow.......

The next skate was a day later was a game skate. The skates felt ready to go in a full 90 minute game session. I knew the only way to make them game ready was to push them. The first skate was a skates and gloves, stick and puck. This was full equipment, of course. I always like putting on all the gear with something new to see how it integrates with everything. The TOs had no problems as far as lining up with the shin pads and feeling comfortable in conjunction with my gear. I wear the tongue under my shin pads. I do not know if the crease JR had in the insert may have played into his wearing them tongue out. I have since checked my inserts for creases or cracks. Everything is fine with the insert.

In the game, I felt the skates were extremely responsive from the start. Due to the 2nd generation design of the ONE95 into this skate, I am really glad to see the Alive composite upper continue forward in the Supreme series. This upper has given my skating a lot of new life and energy on ice. Carrying this into the TO with the Reflex tongue has been a plus for me. The boot fit has been the same as well. No need for me to change a thing there requiring custom and this is on a retail model skate. The new hydrophobic grip-light liner is working for me too in getting a firmer heel lock. The interior ankle padding is presented with more definition through this new liner. The boot gets around my foot even better than the ONE95. During the game, I pushed the skates and myself harder as I went along. There were no problem hot spots. I knew I would rebake the right boot to get my inside heel lock just a touch tighter but this is something I have done in the ONE90 and ONE95, a second rebake of the right boot. As the game went along, the lightweight Fusion steel was playing a part too. There is less fatigue in your legs from carrying a lighter load. It is as simple as that. My legs felt stronger and when normally the gas tank is headed for E, I found that I could continue to skate hard and as fast as I wanted. The Fusion steel just adds some reserves to your late game conditioning.

Over the course of practice skates, I did the rebake. My right heel got firmer and snugger in the fit. I have a narrow heel but it is something I can work with in my own fit situation. I decided to try changing socks as well. So, for a few skates, I went to a Vapor Performance sock. The sock works well but I didn't like how high and tight it went on my leg. It was also a wee bit too thin at the front of my foot in the boot. It was an experiment to try with the TO but I went back to my standard athletic sock with no problems.

One of the things I feel happening with the TO is increased stride/glide length. When I skate in the morning on the fresh cut ice I can see every stride I cut on the ice. When I skate blue line to red line to blue line, I can see by the ice cut a longer stride. There feels like there is more energy there as you work the boot through that C cut, push, stride and glide. You feel stronger through the zone as you attack the ice with increased forward momentum. I could go on about this but I think I will wait to others experience it for themselves.

Now, if you are a defenceman in TotalONE skates, I have to tell you there is a drawback to these skates. Your coach may not like it when he sees you wearing TotalONEs. However, unless he is playing in them, too, he will never understand what has just happened to your game. The problem for defencemen in TotalONEs is simple: You will no longer want to play defence and will find yourself on the rush ending up at the goal line or in the slot waiting for a one-timer pass! Since I have been wearing these skates, my D partner knows where to find me: in front of the other net. These skates have made staying in position at the blue line waiting for the pass that never comes impossible. I join the rush and go every chance I get now. The skates just want to take me places and I see no reason to hold back.

Since the beginning of December, I have been on the TotalONE skates over 20 times between practices and games. I found the skates, for me, game ready very quickly. I did not have any problems getting used to these skates as new. They have been wearing very well. I have taken a few pucks to the boot and not felt a thing. The interior liner looks fine after two months. The inserts show no damage of cracking or being out of shape. The benefit of the lighter weight skate provided by the switch to Fusion steel is a huge plus for me. It simply makes the skate lighter and more responsive to your foot.

The common question on MSH is always which skate is the best? The best answer is always the skate that fits your foot properly. I have found through trying on other models and brands that I have a Supreme fit foot. Vapors do not fit me well enough, the CCM U+ squeezed the ball of my foot, RBK has never been an option, and Easton didn't have enough room in the toe box for me. This is all about personal preference and fit. I like Bauer Supreme skates because they fit my foot the best. I have no vested interest in pushing their product. If I was doing an X:60 review, I would tell you that it doesn't fit my foot correctly. I gave the X:60 a 5 week trial but learned I no longer can wear that skate to my advantage. Don't settle for a style because you think it may fit. Choose the style that fits you best and stay with it. When the companies change the fit, you will be the first to know when you try on that skate. Think CCM and how they moved around Tacks fit lasts until the Vector became nothing like a Tack. My old Tacks buddies got bad news when that happened. Sorry to go off on a mini-tangent here. Just think about what skates fit you the best and you will always make the right decision. At the moment, for me, the TotalONEs fit great and have features that translate on ice to improved performance for me. It is not about the brand, it is about the skate and how it fits.

This is a 3 1/2 month update on the TotalONE skates. A lot of shops are now getting there TO merchandizing displays with a sample skate. This is a great chance to get your hands on the skate and take a close look at the product. The first impression has to be the weight when you pick the skate up off the display. This feature is noticeable on the ice and much appreciated as you skate.

Over the course of time using the TOs, I have been extremely satisfied with the overall product. From the Fusion steel up through the boot, the skate has been excellent for me. The Fusion steel weight reduction is great for "making that first step count." There is a benefit to getting that quick out of the blocks start like a track sprinter gets translated to ice. The ability to get your feet moving with maximum energy input immediately is huge. This quick breakaway advantage gets you separated from your opponent quicker. The Reflex tongue and insert is helping increase this benefit, too on that initial release. The two factors combine to give you a quicker stride and glide on ice. For players who use speed to their advantage, they now have another weapon to add. The Alive composite boot continues the energy transfer from the boot back to the ice with no loss of boot stiffness or breakdown. I have given the TO skates repeated workouts in these areas whether in game situations or practice sessions skating hot laps around the rink. The skates continue to perform at their optimal levels when pushed by the skater.

The wear factor on TOs after three plus months has been very minimal. The exterior looks brand new, the interior liner is in excellent condition, the Total Edge Comfort pads are still perfect, and there are no problems with the Reflex tongue. I have been using the Mid Reflex tongue insert. Over time the insert has developed a bend to it from skating and staying snapped in to the Reflex tongue. I have no creases or cracks in the insert. When I remove the insert from the tongue, it does not lie flat as when new. Has this shaping of the insert affected the performance of the skate? Overall, I do not think so. Is there anything I would do differently now after wearing the skates for 3 months? Yes, I would do two things differently. First, I would recommend buying a second set of inserts once you determine which stiffness you like the best. I would then begin a rotation process between the two pair of inserts. I often rotate gloves to increase palm life and let my gloves live longer. I will do this with the Reflex inserts once they are available at retail. For a $10 investment, I consider this a no-brainer. The second thing I would do is remove the insert after skating to let it stay flat and increase the long term performance. For those of you who feel this is too much to do or silly, that is fine. I have always given my gear, especially my skates, tons of TLC. I pull out the footbeds after games and always hang the skates to dry. Adding this little idea to my skate routine is nothing for me. Once again, when a player makes this deep an investment in his skates, I do not consider this a problem. When an idea like this comes along, I want to take full advantage of it so this is a simple solution to maximum benefit of the TotalONE skates.

It is getting close to April 15. What more can I say for now?

Here is a 3 month update on my TotalONE skates.

One of the things I have enjoyed reading since the skates were released in April is that a lot of other TO skaters have experienced the same things I did with TOs. In the beginning of my testing, there were things happening with the Reflex tongue and the Fusion steel that added so much to the skate performance on ice. At that time, you want to believe it is real yet there is no one else using the skates to get validation from. JR was having some issues in the beginning getting fit and comfort on ice just right. I prefer to keep our testing unique at times to keep it unfiltered from each other. Once though, I started to read others review about the skate in April and May, I knew what I said over the first three months of testing was validated for me. The TOs do deliver on what the technology offers. You can't ask for more than that.

By the end of May, my mid inserts were pretty beat up. They had lost their stiffness after 5 months of use. They had remained in the tongue snapped in over that time. They were not creased or cracked but no longer were straight/flat. Finally, I got some inserts for inventory for the shop. I bought two pair of mid inserts to have and rotate. Since then, I have snapped the inserts in right in the locker room before the game and taken them out before the skates go back in the bag to leave the rink. I have been rotating the two pair for 6 weeks. The inserts stay perfectly flat now. Do you need two pair to rotate? No, I just wanted to be sure to have them. also, I would hate to lose one after getting home late from hockey. You know how every once in a while it is the small things in your bag you lose, like your mouthpiece. Then you don't realize it is missing until just before you pack the bag and are not at the pro shop! So, this justifies for me having two pair. I have also taken to marking them with a Sharpie to record each use. Again, over the top, but that's me with my gear. I have yet to try the other two inserts. I will probably wait until September or October when the ice gets in better shape. We are having a brutally hot summer and the ice is taking a beating where I skate. Even the puck hates it. It refuse to lie flat and sometimes you skate end-to-end with the puck rolling. BTW, this not the rink I work at! So, I do suggest taking out the inserts to add life to them, if you are so inclined.

My interior liner is holding up perfectly. I have no wear issues anywhere inside the boot. As I skate in the summer months the sweat is just soaking up in my socks. Halfway through a 90 minute session, I can feel the socks are getting like sponges. On some games I will change into dry socks on the bench. The longer I leave the wet sock on the greater the chance of getting a blister. With all this moisture from sweat, though, the skates are drying easily overnight. I know the hot air in the garage is helping, too but no negative effects. I dry out my gear in the garage in summer and bring it into the basement once the weather gets too cold to leave in the garage overnight. I have not had any issues with the sole separating. The ALIVE boot material is holding up like a kevlar bullet proof vest. No problems there at all. The Fusion steel is still a pleasure to skate on. The reduced weight in the summer months with the heavy air in the rink is nice to have. Even though I skate on 11/16, I still sharpen my skates very little. The steel will last me a long time.

I still think the TotalONE skate is a stand alone skate for what it brings to the player. The Reflex tongue combined with the Fusion steel and the ALIVE boot bring together a total package that works with me and for me. I am fortunate to have a Supreme last foot that works with this family of skates because as much as I like this skate, if the boot does not fit you perfectly, then there is no point in trying to make it work for you. This is said with the retail version in mind for guys walking in to the LHS to purchase. Finally, when I am in my basement gear room and see my ONE95s that were used for over 18 months or more, I know those skates had so much life still in them. They were built strong and were the beginning of the TotalONE foundation I skate on now. That Bauer improved so much on ONE95 to design TotalONE with this performance level over a 7 month period already can only have me wondering what the next idea Bauer has for the Supreme family to go "to infinity and beyond!!""

I decided to use a stiff insert on the reflex tongue tonight. I have been using only a mid insert since December. Within 15 minutes of game time, 3 hard shifts, I was feeling some pressure on the left insert across the top of my foot. On the bench I pulled out the stiff insert on the left boot and put a mid insert in on the Reflex tongue. Any previous pressure on the top of my foot was gone. I was skating comfortably again. I had planned on changing out the right skate insert as well, even though I felt no pressure. After the next two shifts I decided there was no point in changing the right insert from stiff to mid. I left the stiff insert in the right tongue and had a mid insert in the left tongue. As the game progressed I found myself in situations where I used my stronger leg, my right, to generate speed and acceleration on power skating techniques by keeping my right skate on the ice as I power skated using c-cuts never picking my right leg up off the ice. As simply as one arm is stronger than the other, my right leg has more strength and kick than my left. By taking advantage of the stiff insert on the right boot, I was able to get extra momentum coming out of strong turns to my left using my right leg to drive the energy through the boot to the ice. This idea of mixing stiffness on the inserts is intriguing and worth following up on.

These are some photos of the top of my T1s after 7 months of use. I have been contacted on MSH about wear issues at the top of the boot. I wear the RBK Edge socks. They are long on me at the bottom. Therefore I tuck them under my shin pad. My shin pad has no direct contact with the interior skate liner. This is how they look.

Right boot, outside ankle

th_T1rhto.jpg

Right boot, inside ankle

th_T1rhti.jpg

Left boot, inside ankle

th_T1lfti.jpg

Left boot, outside ankle

th_T1lfto.jpg

I am close to 60 sessions, almost 100 hours on ice.