Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sav25

My Hockey career is over

Thanks for the replies lads

Going to give it a couple of weeks to give it a chance to heal a bit - then try lacing up as suggested with some 'party feet' (ladies pressure reliever things) in between.

For the question earlier - I'm currently in Mission LTs

Out-in lacing solved it for me when I started doing it a few years ago. No problems since. I'm not too sure why and never really bothered to think about it - it just worked :P

Everyone is different though and some people really just can't seem to find a proper fitting skate. I think the problem could definitely be a little more complex than most people make it out to be.

Just to elaborate on my previous post, I took a picture to illustrate why I think out-to-in lacing solves lace bite for some people. On the left skate with in-to-out lacing, when you lean over the top row of laces you basically press against a straight bar that digs into a small point on the front of the tongue. On the right skate with out-to-in lacing, the top row wraps around the tongue distributing the pressure more evenly across the tongue.

lacing.jpg

Hey Im terribly interested on this post, but Im not sure I get it fully.

From what i see in the picture, do you have the bow at the bottom of the skate?? In other words, do you start tiying at the top instead of at the bottom?

Tack så mycket!

Hey Im terribly interested on this post, but Im not sure I get it fully.

From what i see in the picture, do you have the bow at the bottom of the skate?? In other words, do you start tiying at the top instead of at the bottom?

Tack så mycket!

Oh, no, sorry. I get it now! The picture is from your face downwards!

Thanks a lot!!

I don't really suffer a case of real bad lace-bite, only when I tie the last hole and when I do it hard, but I will give this a try as it might nevertheless alleviate my small lace-bite problem.

I am sorry to hear that you've got excruciating lace-bite Sav. I understand completely. In my judgment there are two opponents in hockey: fatigue and lace-bite. I have had a history of lace-bite. I don't really know what the cause is. Jeffw made a very interesting observation in his own case, as he said it was due to too much room in the heel, I believe. Epstud74 surmised it was the result of poor fitting to begin with; a plausible cause, but I don't think it can be boiled down to fitting. The reason is is that even pros experience lace-bite. Phil Maltese was telling me that a number of pros use his lace-bite pads. I tried them; they didn't work for me, but perhaps it was because my tendon was already so hurt.

At its worst, there seemed to be nothing I could do about my lace-bite, and so I had no choice but to get different (and in my case better) skates. It continued because I refused to stop skating, so I never allowed it to heal. I don't regret it either. A problem like this can go to hell as far as I'm concerned. I was willing to let my fucking foot fall off before I conceded. Needless to add, this obduracy on my part is just idiotic, but something interesting happened: I was skating right through the worst pain; it was unbearable, so much so that I almost cried every fucking time I skated hard, or skated backward. When it reached the summit of the pain, it suddenly stopped. It fucking stopped. It's stupid; it makes no sense, and I am not condoning this course as I can't even be sure my brute-forcing it was the cause.

Anyway, with those skates I had not experienced lace-bite again. I have just begun getting it with my new skates, but, with lace-bite, if you catch it early and padden the aggravated area sufficiently well, you should be fine. This would entail letting your foot heel for a bit.

But don't quit! Don't worry; this is fixable.

Has the lace bite healed and have the party feet worked???

The Mission Lt's I found to be terrible skates, for my feet. When laced they felt 100% with no dead space. After 10 mins of playing on them I got a horrific pain in my right ankle. Had them baked, punched, baked and punched some more ... but the pain never went. So I had to give in on them.

They seem to be made a some very soft materials, but then around the heel some very hard material ... and the two just seem not to have a balance when laced tight. So the "soft" wraps the foot very well, but then pulled the edges of the harder material into a space under my ankle bone. Agony.

I could never give in on hockey due to something like that ... just go see a doc, have your foot chopped off and a skate grafted on and fused to your bloody stump instead ... also quicker around the supermarket!!!