Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UseToBeGoodAtHockey

Building Inline Skates - Grafs w/ Sprungs

Brand new to this forum and have been reading a lot on these sprung chassis and needed some help. Started playing roller hockey when I was 5 till I was 10 then switched completely to ice till I was 19 so I have no clue about inline skates anymore.

What are good roller skates, wheels for sport court, and bearings now? What's the word on these sprung chassis now that they have been out for almost 3 years?

I really love my Grafs and am kind of set on taking a Graf boot and combining it with a Sprung chassis. Also, would it be easy for me to mount the boot to a Sprung chassis myself or would I have to pay to get it done professionally? What does everyone think would make a good combo here?

I was thinking:

Graf Supra 703

Sprung A7/A8 frame

Labeda Addiction 150 Wheels

Swiss Bearings

Bought a pair of Mission CSX's for my first inline season in 4 years last summer and they were absolutely terrible. Biggest piece of crap equipment I have ever bought or even used. So I want to make sure I do it right for this year's season.

There are numerous conversions to sprungs on ice boots in the sprung thread.... I believe that almost all (if not all) Graf models have been mounted on Sprungs.

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index...hlite=%2Bsprung

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index...ighlite=%2Bgraf

I myself am converting a pair of 670 this weekend when I've got some time... You can do it yourself if you want to, but its up to you.

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index...c=44573&hl=

There are numerous conversions to sprungs on ice boots in the sprung thread.... I believe that almost all (if not all) Graf models have been mounted on Sprungs.

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index...hlite=%2Bsprung

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index...ighlite=%2Bgraf

I myself am converting a pair of 670 this weekend when I've got some time... You can do it yourself if you want to, but its up to you.

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index...c=44573&hl=

Cool...let me know how it goes. Do you know if you can order just the Graf boots from the manufacturer instead of ordering the whole setup.

Graf makes a great bot. I use to use them back in the day when I was playing ice. Once you get into them and find a model you like it can be hard to get use to another boot. They do not sell boot onlys though.

Honestly, my 2 cents is that if you want to go through that trouble to stay in a Graf boot, that is the best way to go. This is also a very expensive way to go as you will be paying a premium for everything.

Inline skates have come a long way in comfort and performance. Before going through all of this trouble I would recommend to you to go and try on some skates from Mission Tour or Bauer or Rbk. Try on some skates to see which brand will fit the best and you will walk away with a great skate for half the price. I have used Graf for a lot of years growing up and I can attest to you that you will be happy in a brand of current inline boots.

(Shameless Plug) You might try on a pair of Tour with our quilted lining and unmatched Hum'er frame (was that too much of a plug)

I love Graf skates just way too much...maybe I will convert my old ice pair into an inline and just buy a whole new set of Grafs for ice. Really hate the way roller hockey boots are designed...feel like bricks on my feet.
Graf703.jpgGraf.jpg

I love Graf skates just way too much...maybe I will convert my old ice pair into an inline and just buy a whole new set of Grafs for ice. Really hate the way roller hockey boots are designed...feel like bricks on my feet.

Fair enough. I can understand sticking to something once you find it works.

Let me know I f I can help you get into a Hum'er chassis.

These are not Grafs... but as close as you can get to them, lol. They're Missions done to be as close to Grafs as possible. A7's mounted up on them. Fit is the same as 735's. Just a bit more room in the heel than my 703 and G3 Grafs have that I can compare them to. If I had been able to find another pair of 703 boots reasonably I'd have gone that route and mounted Sprung A7's on them.

fed1.jpg.JPG

Without gear, I weighed about 200lbs last year, now about 194lbs... should still hold up?

I wanted to mount my A7, but the sole of the boot didnt seem wide enough at the rear... I followed the instructions to the T, centre line, then 1/4" back towards the heel.

looks similar in terms of the mount compared to other grafs... I had my previous A6 mounted right on centre on my previous mounts, and if I leaned back I just felt like I was gonig to tip over backwards... I think with the 1/4" back it would help with that...

Got the boots 'fitted' by a guy from the IW board... sent him pics and he helped me with the boot selection (already had them in mind). The boots fit perfect in terms of length, and the depth is sweet (thanks to epstud for the heads up on getting this range of grafs).

Boots might get some lace locks put on them, and swapped to yellow laces to match the yellow Graf logo... we'll have to see what happens

Ditto, very nice! I'm contemplating adding in another eyelet or two on mine. Especially after the broken ankle I won't mind a bit more support. I've only skated in them once and although they fit nice it was easy to tell how different they felt compared to my ice skates in terms of support.

I had some questions in regards to the type of bearing and wheels best these days.

Best type of bearing to use?

Best type of wheel to use on an ice court?

I have been reading a lot on these forums and doing research and was thinking the Labeda 150 Addictions might be the best option. Has anyone skated on these before and have some thoughts?

Addiction wheels, well so far so good.I bought a set of the orange wheels about two weeks ago.I have them on my Graf 705s with white A6 sprungs.Ive skated on them about 7-9 times and have been checking the wear after each skate.so far they are showing no signs of cracking,and of course some rub wear off the wheel but holding grip very very well. At this piont as long as I have the money to spend on wheels the Addictions are my choice of wheels,I will go by 4 at a time now and change the front and back as they go just to keep this set up going.AND Fatwabbit welcome to the Graf family.

Thanks .... finally was able to get something that fit...

The only reason I ddint do them before was that I was worried about the fit...

Addiction wheels, well so far so good.I bought a set of the orange wheels about two weeks ago.I have them on my Graf 705s with white A6 sprungs.Ive skated on them about 7-9 times and have been checking the wear after each skate.so far they are showing no signs of cracking,and of course some rub wear off the wheel but holding grip very very well. At this piont as long as I have the money to spend on wheels the Addictions are my choice of wheels,I will go by 4 at a time now and change the front and back as they go just to keep this set up going.AND Fatwabbit welcome to the Graf family.

Ditto Rob. I think they're the best wheels for Sprungs yet. Players on reg frames are giving the same feedback. Go Kevin, go. :)

Thanks .... finally was able to get something that fit...

The only reason I ddint do them before was that I was worried about the fit...

so how is the fit ?the 670s look good with the white sprungs,I dont know of any other skate co. other than Graf that gives you so many options when trying to find a skate that fits your foot.

Fit wise is great! Most of the skates I've tried (and the list is LONGGGGG) dont have enough depth or doesnt lock my heel in properly. Almost every skate I've had has failed teh pencil test.

I did go on Graf's website (numerous times in fact) to narrow down the search... and through some recommendations from epstud (who has the G70) I figured that I needed something in that range .... G70, 670, 570, 370... the G70 was too expensive, and the 570 and 370 would have been a little too soft I think. so the 670 were the obvious choice... the 709 would have been an option, but I believe that it has a wider heel.

The depth of the skate seems perfect, and the grafs have a newer tongue... thick white felt, and the logo is a chromish embossed design and not screen printed on.

I've only mounted the left boot so far, and will do the right this long weekend. It will make its debut next week at drop in, that gives me a few days to tweak it a little more if needed (change laces, lace locks, bake etc)... before the league resumes the following week.

Fit wise is great! Most of the skates I've tried (and the list is LONGGGGG) dont have enough depth or doesnt lock my heel in properly. Almost every skate I've had has failed teh pencil test.

I did go on Graf's website (numerous times in fact) to narrow down the search... and through some recommendations from epstud (who has the G70) I figured that I needed something in that range .... G70, 670, 570, 370... the G70 was too expensive, and the 570 and 370 would have been a little too soft I think. so the 670 were the obvious choice... the 709 would have been an option, but I believe that it has a wider heel.

The depth of the skate seems perfect, and the grafs have a newer tongue... thick white felt, and the logo is a chromish embossed design and not screen printed on.

I've only mounted the left boot so far, and will do the right this long weekend. It will make its debut next week at drop in, that gives me a few days to tweak it a little more if needed (change laces, lace locks, bake etc)... before the league resumes the following week.

Im thinking about ordering some 670s as well because I cant find a skate deep enough for me, the supremes were close but I get lace bite pretty bad. U+ werent even close. Will these work well for someone with skinny ankles? Is it pretty snug at the top of the ankle area?

Are these and the 570 pretty close or is the 670 much better? Lastly, are these about as stiff as a One55?