Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eugene8080

Inline Equipment for Hot and Humid environments

Hi,

I play in a tropical environment. In the summer is can be 35C with 90% humidity. I have only played here for a couple years but I am quickly learning how best to deal with it.

One of the best tips I got was to wear an under armor type shirt. But before the game soak it in cold wet water and wring it out. It is cold at first which is nice but the big benefit is that it re-cools when you skate. The negative is a little extra weight but it's not much and you get used to it.

I wear mission skates and they dont bother me in the heat at all.

I have bauer xvi gloves and the are a little too hot. I used to have mission warp 4s and they were much cooler. I haven't tried it but some people have suggested lacrosse gloves.

Pants I find the most important part of cooling. I have a bunch of types and they make a big difference. Anything light with lots of holes. Same goes for the jersey.

Hope that helps

Kevin

Hmm, never tried the board shorts thing but might try that on a really hot day. I have a few force pants from different travel teams that work pretty well. They are great because the entire calf is venting. I would look for anything like that. I have some old Mission Matrix pants that suck but are tanks. Winter only pants. And I have some Mission BSX pants that are nice and cool but are falling apart after one month. Both low end mission pant though, so what do you expect.

I play here in Hawaii. We got a pretty nice indoor arena now, so we dont' have to worry about heat and humidity as much.

as phantomower says, when outdoors, a lot of guys use board shorts, exposing the calf. There was a guy that wore football pads underneath his shorts (since he fell quite a bit).

I play in Southern California and while it hasn't gotten too hot yet, I noticed that wearing shorts/ice pant shell with socks was better than pants. Maybe it's just me, but I noticed a lot more air flow to my legs through the socks than my reebok pants (which claimed to offer breathability). I play in an outdoor league and a league where you're required to cover your legs so that's why I did it, otherwise I'd just play with my calves exposed. If you do try this, get the new Reebok socks which are thinner but rip easier. I fell a bunch of time using traditional socks and no rips yet.

Also, I'd invest in wearing some sort of moisture wicking shirt. I've noticed a difference in my comfort during games while wearing them.

I play in Southern California and while it hasn't gotten too hot yet, I noticed that wearing shorts/ice pant shell with socks was better than pants. Maybe it's just me, but I noticed a lot more air flow to my legs through the socks than my reebok pants (which claimed to offer breathability). I play in an outdoor league and a league where you're required to cover your legs so that's why I did it, otherwise I'd just play with my calves exposed. If you do try this, get the new Reebok socks which are thinner but rip easier. I fell a bunch of time using traditional socks and no rips yet.

Also, I'd invest in wearing some sort of moisture wicking shirt. I've noticed a difference in my comfort during games while wearing them.

I think the best you can do is find equipment that has the wholes in the padding material that lets some air flow through (or designs that allow air to flow across the skin). I have a Tour girdle that lets a fair amount of air through (though the hockey pants I have been using outdoors don't have a good material higher up for letting air through). Mission and a few other companies used to make gloves that had the "air flow technology".

Seems like in the time I was out of roller hockey (5 years or more), the manufacturers gave up for the most part on designing gear for outdoors. There used to be a lot more out on the market as far as outdoor blades, skates that came with outdoor wheels and designed to take the punishment, and gear designed for air flow.

For pants I would try to find a lightweight pair that has plenty of mesh vented areas. My most breathable pare of pants are probably the Tour Lionhearts. Wearing moisture wicking under shirt and pants may also be helpful for you.

wearing a moisture wicking/under armour style shirt under your jersey isn't going to be cooler than just wearing the jersey with nothing underneath.