Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Squirrel

sharpening question

hi. today i was at my lhs to get my skates sharpened (which is different for me because i normally get them sharpened at the rink) and they asked me if i wanted standard 3/8'' or someting like that (i dont remember). i was wondering what other types of cuts there are and if they make much of a difference between the different sharpenings? would it be smart to change after using a certain mesurement all this time?

thanks guys

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/index.php?sh...8&hl=sharpening

This is the general sharpening thread, it covers alot of stuff including hollows. The lower the number, the deeper the hollow. ie 1/8 is very deep, where 1" is much shallower. Generally the higher the number the more glide, but the less you are sitting in the ice and more on it. Alot of factors come into play, skating style, height, weight, personal prefrence. I am jumping around right now trying to find a good hollow. There may be a hollow thread as well, I am not sure. It's good to keep it constant once you find it for conistancy, but it is nice to try new things. It's not like it cannot be fixed with another sharpening if you don't like it.

the ultimate goal is too find a medium. For me, (5'9 160), 5/8 was too much glide while 1/2 digs me in a little too much. I use 9/16 right now. Experiment as easy said.

Ice conditions should also factor into your decision. I know that different hollows work better for me at different rinks.

True. If you know you're gonna be on softer ice, such as is usually the case during the summer, you may want to get a bit shallower hollow, to avoid being up to your ankles (so to speak) in ice.

I started skating on a 1/2 inch, but found it digging in and dragging too much. Im a pretty big guy, so I switched to 5/8 and it works great. Theres one rink around here that has good enough ice that 1/2" iisn't a problem, but for the most part i just stick with 5/8"