Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chippa13

Punished for being human

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/report-housing-homeless-player-gets-florida-high-school-coach-bill-buldini-suspended-093010

In the movies, taking in a homeless high school kid who turns out to be a heck of a football player makes for a heartwarming story.

In real life … not so much.

According to reports by the Orlando Sentinel and wftv.com, an Orlando-area coach was suspended for allowing a homeless player to move in with him.

One thing that strikes at me is the HUGE potential for abuse to the kid here. He is vulnerable, he has no support network, his coach controls his potential for a successful life...Graham James anyone? An argument for better safe than sorry here, but the alternative is definitely 'unsafe' too, not to mention inhumane...

One thing that strikes at me is the HUGE potential for abuse to the kid here. He is vulnerable, he has no support network, his coach controls his potential for a successful life...Graham James anyone? An argument for better safe than sorry here, but the alternative is definitely 'unsafe' too, not to mention inhumane...

This is the reason there are so many laws in place governing pretty much all aspects of family law. It's really hard to figure out what someones true intentions are in cases like this. Yeah, there are a few Mother Theresa types here and there but there tend to be a lot more of the opposite as I've seen it.

Yeah but you never hear the positive outcomes from this situation on the news, you only hear the bad, unfortunately. This is the main reason allot of my mates avoid the commercial news programs here in Aust.

I just watched "The Blind Side" last night. Great movie, better story. This country can be so screwed up that it is pathetic.

What I find funny about the quote, "In the movies....but in real life..." was the movie was about real life. One difference, of course, was a family offered Michael Oher a home, not the football coach.

Although I'm well aware it happens, I believe the majority of these circumstances are not Graham James scenarios; they are about people trying to help the kids. Heck, my nephew is moving in with us tomorrow to finish his senior year of high school in our town. We didn't ask for this, but if it helps him get a better start in life, it seemed the right thing to do. And I don't believe my thinking on this is much different from the majority of others.

What I find funny about the quote, "In the movies....but in real life..." was the movie was about real life. One difference, of course, was a family offered Michael Oher a home, not the football coach.

Although I'm well aware it happens, I believe the majority of these circumstances are not Graham James scenarios; they are about people trying to help the kids. Heck, my nephew is moving in with us tomorrow to finish his senior year of high school in our town. We didn't ask for this, but if it helps him get a better start in life, it seemed the right thing to do. And I don't believe my thinking on this is much different from the majority of others.

BINGO, thats why billet families are commonplace in junior hockey...the family has no real power over the kid, but the coach DOES, im not supporting the suspension, but im just offering the darker side of this possibility