Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thepandamancan

Rotating Mixed Wheel Hardness Set Up

So I have a hi-lo (76/80mm) set up with Labeda gripper wheels on 'em. I have 84As on the outside and 80As in the middle and it's worked great. I've gotten the best of both grip and speed. It's finally time to rotate the wheels, but how should I do it to keep the set up I have?

Do I just flip the wheel over and move it to the other skate and repeat throughout the life of the wheels?

So I have a hi-lo (76/80mm) set up with Labeda gripper wheels on 'em. I have 84As on the outside and 80As in the middle and it's worked great. I've gotten the best of both grip and speed. It's finally time to rotate the wheels, but how should I do it to keep the set up I have?

Do I just flip the wheel over and move it to the other skate and repeat throughout the life of the wheels?

Answer to that is yes. All you can do with that setup is to move it directly to the other skate, or just flip them and keep them on the same skate, both will have the same effect. I like the setup, but you're very limited with your rotation options.

You won't lose much if you do a full rotation, rotating the harder wheels to the outside of the opposite skate. Having the softer wheels on the outside may seem like you're getting more grip, but its not like you're using a rocker chassis where 2 wheels make all of the difference. any 2 hard and 2 soft wheels should produce the same effect no matter what position they are on a hi-lo.

I never really knew what durometers my grippers were. They're always some subjective term like "soft" and "extra soft".

Anyways, I move the wheel to the other skate if theres more wear than the other, if not I'll just flip them. I don't think theres a right or wrong way to flip it (though I think it would be pretty wrong to flip your underpants back to front, inside out and back to front again). I do it so I don't get pizza cutters for wheels.

I never really knew what durometers my grippers were. They're always some subjective term like "soft" and "extra soft".

From IW:

Hardness available: XSoft 74A, Soft 76A , Medium 80A

Hardness recommendations based on Player's weight:

For play on indoor tile surfaces (ie Sport Court):

170 lbs and below = XSoft 74A

Over 170 lbs = Soft 76A

For play on smooth concrete or wood floors:

170 lbs below = Soft 76A

Over 170 lbs = Medium 80A

From IW:

Hardness available: XSoft 74A, Soft 76A , Medium 80A

Hardness recommendations based on Player's weight:

For play on indoor tile surfaces (ie Sport Court):

170 lbs and below = XSoft 74A

Over 170 lbs = Soft 76A

For play on smooth concrete or wood floors:

170 lbs below = Soft 76A

Over 170 lbs = Medium 80A

I've never been too picky. I have 2 sets of wheels, one is a cheap set of Hypers in 82a for outdoors, and a nice set of wicked stickys in 74a for indoors, but the difference between 72-78 are minimal to me, as are the differences between 80-84.

I really am not sure how using 2 durometers on one skate makes a huge difference, but if that's what you use Elevation, having the harder wheels on the outside or inside makes no difference. I'm a little bit tempted to put harder wheels on the 2 outside slots of my shock rocker and see how that works out, but I'm not gonna.

My Mission Soldier skates are 80mm wheels straight through..

What does everything think of this setup with the hardness?

83A-78A-78A-83A

I am thinking about giving it a shot playing on sport court... Thoughts?

My setup is the reverse.

I have 74A-76A-76A-74A on my Vapor 15's. Labeda Grippers for the x-soft, the wheels that came with my skate for the inside. I like it. I didn't think of switching the wheels to hard on the outside, soft on the inside. Is it that big of a difference? If so, I have to give it a shot Saturday.

My Mission Soldier skates are 80mm wheels straight through..

83A-78A-78A-83A

I am thinking about giving it a shot playing on sport court... Thoughts?

Your mission soldiers are 80mm all the way? If you have the stock vanguard frame they are not 80's unless you put hummer on. Personal opinion but I think 83 is too hard for sport court.

83A-78A-78A-83A

Give it a try and let us know, but I've experimented with the same setup and preferred the softer wheels in the 2 rear positions. I like to really bear down on my rear wheels in tight turns and have a tendency to lean hard on my forward wheels when striding forward to gain speed.

I use a Gripper Yellow (80a?) for the rear wheel and gripper white (76a?) for the front three. Found the rear wheel wearing too much when in the white. Don't notice any difference except the wheels lasting a little longer.

I used to run 72a 74a 74a 72a on a vangaurd, it was ok but I prefer a little more slide in my backwheels for hockey stops. Never found a good way to rotate them beyond swapping the wheels between skates.

TBH when they were pretty worn Id put them in a box for the off season when I would skate on painted concrete and ran 72a for all wheels.

As a side note: 72a 72a 74a 74a I found works great on sport court, I get the slide for hockey stops, long distance speed and the grip on the front when im doing tight cross overs or the first few steps of a sprint.

Its all personal preference depending on your skating style ie. where you position your weight when your during a particular move.

You could also check out the "Wheel Matrix" on the Revision web site. They list a number of wheel combinations. All of which have the softer wheel on the front and back, with the harder compound wheel on the 2 inside positions.