Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Jackson

Preferance On Stiff Flex

I'm 5'8'' on a good day, at 140lbs.

As I've just gotten back into hockey a couple of years ago after a hiatus that spanned my teenage and college years, I chose two different sticks to try out which I'm still using today. My Int Ballistik (Combat) 52cal is rated at 65 and has two inches cut, open toe curve. My old Int Mission Dangler two-piece is two inches longer and probably in the 65-70 range, open heel curve. All of this considered, the Mission is certainly the whippier of the two. For a house-leaguer of my size, I have a generally above-average wrister velocity.

Between the two sticks, my wrister is consistently and significantly faster with the slightly stiffer 52cal. It's more comfortable in general and I think it's very well-matched to my height and technique.

I started reading this thread from the beginning and want to add that I am also one that enjoys 'feeling' the flex on a shot. Taking a wrister with a heel curved 81 flex feels so nice when the shaft bows and rockets the puck off. It didn't feel nearly the same with a mid curve. Between the two shafts I have and OPS I have invested in, it's been a while since I found an 'everything' stick and it is here.

I'd say that stiffness is dependent on the openness of the curve as well and where you like to shoot. From what I have noticed, softer flexes keep the puck down.

I'll add that I am 6'2 and about 205 and an 80-85 flex feels effortless when shooting.

It really depends on personal preference. Some people like stiffer sticks, some people like softer flexes. It's all about the players technique and what they're comfortable with. There's no magic formula that tells what flex is suited best for a person. Its trial and error.

While there are guys like Weber and Chara that use really stiff flex, you have guys like Brett Hull that could rip one timers with wiippy sticks.

this is certainly a complex issue: as many pointed out there's a difference between a game & practice (types of shots taken, time to load etc); plus different flex points also make the overall equation even more complex (mid flex sticks would feel less stiff even at the same flex rating)...

back to the drawing board :)

It really depends on personal preference. Some people like stiffer sticks, some people like softer flexes. It's all about the players technique and what they're comfortable with. There's no magic formula that tells what flex is suited best for a person. Its trial and error.

While there are guys like Weber and Chara that use really stiff flex, you have guys like Brett Hull that could rip one timers with wiippy sticks.

I read somewhere that SHea Weber likes to use a 100 flex because it is allows quicker snap and wrist shots from the point, while still allowing a hard slap shot.

Ok, I still don't get it... stiffer flexes were created for a reason right - the stiffer the shaft the more energy it stores and so can release theoretically resulting in a harder shot correct?

So wouldn’t a bigger stronger player who can flex a stiffer stick benefit from the stiffer flex? Isn’t it why there’re guidelines that the flex should be around half the weight?

Ok, I still don't get it... stiffer flexes were created for a reason right - the stiffer the shaft the more energy it stores and so can release theoretically resulting in a harder shot correct?

So wouldn’t a bigger stronger player who can flex a stiffer stick benefit from the stiffer flex? Isn’t it why there’re guidelines that the flex should be around half the weight?

Many, many pros have moved down in flex since the advent of composite sticks. The number of guys using stiff (110+) flexes is nowhere near what it used to be.

Absolutely, a bigger guy can benefit from a stiffer flex on his slapper, to a point, but there are a lot of moving parts in that equation. Height, stick length and strength are all far more important than just raw weight. Plus, there is also the style of play and shooting motion that also plays a huge part in determining the best stick flex. Even a 6'3" 225lb winger is often better served by using a lighter flex if he isn't going to be taking slappers all the time. It's not often that you get time to wind up and hammer a slapshot at even strength if you play at a competitive level. If I play the point on a PP, I still switch back to my XN10s as they are better suited to slappers than my widow.

Many, many pros have moved down in flex since the advent of composite sticks. The number of guys using stiff (110+) flexes is nowhere near what it used to be.

Absolutely, a bigger guy can benefit from a stiffer flex on his slapper, to a point, but there are a lot of moving parts in that equation. Height, stick length and strength are all far more important than just raw weight. Plus, there is also the style of play and shooting motion that also plays a huge part in determining the best stick flex. Even a 6'3" 225lb winger is often better served by using a lighter flex if he isn't going to be taking slappers all the time. It's not often that you get time to wind up and hammer a slapshot at even strength if you play at a competitive level. If I play the point on a PP, I still switch back to my XN10s as they are better suited to slappers than my widow.

any reason you're referring specifically to slapshots Chad? Are you saying wristshot wouldn't benefit from a higher flex provided a player can flex the stick?

I understand there're a lot of variables to this, but what makes it confusing for me is that I often play with minor pro players that have an absolute bomb of a wrishshot and are using 102 flex sticks often cut down.

This makes me wonder how Ovie (who's much bigger & stronger & of course better player) can get away with using 85 flex sticks? and what would happen if he went up the flex?

any reason you're referring specifically to slapshots Chad? Are you saying wristshot wouldn't benefit from a higher flex provided a player can flex the stick?

I understand there're a lot of variables to this, but what makes it confusing for me is that I often play with minor pro players that have an absolute bomb of a wrishshot and are using 102 flex sticks often cut down.

This makes me wonder how Ovie (who's much bigger & stronger & of course better player) can get away with using 85 flex sticks? and what would happen if he went up the flex?

One would have to assume that the release would have something to do with it.

From a pure power generation standpoint, if you can flex a stiffer stick on a slapper, it will have more power. However, if you go with the stiffest stick you can flex on a slapper, it is going to negatively impact your wrist shot the vast majority of the time. Shooting form is a huge part of it. Some guys shoot with a motion that doesn't generate power primarily via flexing the stick, they do so by using the stick as a lever and with quick hand motion. Ovi uses the flex of the stick to do the work for him, but don't forget that once his 85 is cut down it's closer to 95 or 100. He wouldn't get the same release on his wristers if he was using something cut down to 115.

I'm 6' 2" - 180# and generally use an 85 flex.

(Technically, about an 80 flex as I leave my sticks full length and Easton's usually are 5 flex lower than their rating at full length.)

My feeling is that one should probably use the highest flex that they can actually load and shoot well with.

(If nothing else, you should get a little longer life out of it before it becomes too whippy to even use anymore.)

For me, I guess I'm a lazy guy too. I just don't want to have to actually lay on my stick. (I'm naturally a bit more of an upright skater in my "old age".) Then there is also the fact that I can't even remember the last time I took a slapshot other than messing around in stick time. I just find quick release wristers/snappers rocket off of a little more whippy stick, for me. Personal preference. :)

It really all depends on your personal preference. Try a bunch of different flexes, pick the one that works best for your style.

You can always adapt to something else, but I always found myself going back to the 100 flexes come purchasing time.

If this thread has proved anything, it's that it has proved nothing. People use what works for them.

this thread has proved anything, it's that it has proved nothing. People use what works for them.

yep, try everything you can and use whatever works best.