Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

woody31

New Mask

So I just now found out why the 1400 is called the widow maker. If you get caught in the side of the head, it makes a really heavy impact. I was wondering if there are any major differences between the 1400 and the 2500, and if any one has anything good to say about the Vaughn 7500 mask. Any details will be very helpful.

Also, i'm looking into the Bauer NME 7, but if the 2500 is more effective than the 1400, i'll probably buy that

While the shape of the 2500 is going to be different than the 1400, it is still going to be a similar plastic (lexan) construction. The Vaughn mask you mentioned is also made of the same materials.

The NME7 would be a step up, as it is made using a fibre construction.

That being said, you could probably find something like an EDDY GT II for a bit less. A lot depends on the fit, but between the Eddy and the other sub-$300 masks, I think it is the best option.

Thanks, good to know, and you put it right in my price range, what about the eclipse mask, or is that the same story

Same story.

Eddy WAS making the masks for Vaughn (not sure if they still are right now). I'd imagine the Eclipse to be similar to the 7500 (though I haven't seen an Eclipse in person).

Hope that helps!

Same story.

Eddy WAS making the masks for Vaughn (not sure if they still are right now). I'd imagine the Eclipse to be similar to the 7500 (though I haven't seen an Eclipse in person).

Hope that helps!

Thanks, and it does help

Thanks, and it does help

i believe the eclipse is a lexan or plastic mask. i for one actually love the feel of eddy masks! I believe i heard that Van Valdon is making the vaughn line now but don't quote me on that one.

So I just now found out why the 1400 is called the widow maker. If you get caught in the side of the head, it makes a really heavy impact. I was wondering if there are any major differences between the 1400 and the 2500, and if any one has anything good to say about the Vaughn 7500 mask. Any details will be very helpful.

Also, i'm looking into the Bauer NME 7, but if the 2500 is more effective than the 1400, i'll probably buy that

Just pony up the $350 and get a Hackva or something similar. You do not want to trust your head to ANY of these masks.

Well put.

The general rule is that, at retail, a Hackva, a low-end Sportmask or a mid-range Eddy (NOT the Eclipse) are your best bets. The best price-point value on earth is a $300 custom fibreglass Protechsport, provided you can do a head mould and wait a while. For the interested, Michel's wait-times recently dropped from about 13 weeks to around 5 or 6o, so now's the time.

Throwing another name out there that interests me, the Sportsmask Riccochet, in my new price range and i am wondering if anybody has any info on it

+1 on everyone's recommendation for the Hackva. When I was buying my mask I haven't even heard of this company but they do make a terrific mask.

I just started playing goal a few months ago but have taken a few pucks and sticks to the head already without feeling more than a light tap. Just go into your LHS next time and try to flex the different masks. I was at Sportchek the other day and I decided to give the Bauer 1400 a good flex and you'd be surprised how much that thing bends... try doing the same with a Hackva and you'll see the difference in quality.

They are great alternative masks. They offer a great range of view and great neck clearance. Eddy makes a copy of the Mage called the Vision, as well

So I see, the only problem that I am having is that my league requires a CSA, HECC, and CE certified mask, so i don't know if either is fully approved

So I see, the only problem that I am having is that my league requires a CSA, HECC, and CE certified mask, so i don't know if either is fully approved

The Mage RS is not CSA or HECC approved. I absolutely love mine, however.

I know you guys are going to be groaning when you see this, but my budget has been cut and i'm looking at either a reebok 7k or Bauer NME 7, any thoughts?

I know you guys are going to be groaning when you see this, but my budget has been cut and i'm looking at either a reebok 7k or Bauer NME 7, any thoughts?

RBK 7K is $299 (reg. $349) and Hackvas are $379 where I'm at. I'd spend the extra $80 now otherwise I'm sure you'll be in the market for another new mask in the near future.

I own a Ricochet in XL and have played in it many times. It is one of the few true XL size shells. X8 also comes in XL. For my East-european face XL Ricochet works great for a non-custom mask fit. For just a glass mask it does not ring all that much. Super light.

I did inquire heavily about the 7K for my brother and have been told that construction is good, combination of EPP and EVA(? - help) foam is great for reducing ringing. I have heard stories about the buckles breaking from shots. They appear to be easier to find now vs when the masks were originally released. Also I have heard that some Itech attachment mechas can be fitten on the Reebok masks.

Unconfirmed source mentioned that some of the Bell helmet designers were involved in Reebok masks creation.

I don't think there are non-cert cateye cages for it that I know of.

I tried the 9K and 7K on in Large annd it is definitely narrower fitting then Ricochet or X8.

If size is OK, the 7K can be had for $249US.

For your question about the Mage RS, it is also only available in one Sr. size, it does not fit an XL head (7 5/8 or 60+cm, with wide forehead). Sportmask has been saying that they will make an XL RS since last January (last time I asked).

If you like a big window mask, there is single Mage II left at Majer Hockey. Perhaps you could negotiate a price, check it out. Certianly different looking, but visibility is unmatched. You can see the back of your neck almost :-). They have been selling it for a while now.

http://buy.id.ebay.com/buying/en/display/360355029470_Sportmask-Mage-II-Hockey-Goalie-Face-Mask-Helmet-Senior

Hackva is a solid mask and their customer service is great, but they are on a heavy side and visibility is not the best.

Sorry I can't comment on the NV7.

Hope this helps and good luck.

I weighed my Hackva against a 961 and yes it is heavier... but the difference is negligible.

Unless your facing consistent shots from Major Junior or pro players, a 7k or NME7 will do fine. If you have the money a Hackva would be better but if you are on a budget, I would not worry with either of those helmets.

Unless your facing consistent shots from Major Junior or pro players, a 7k or NME7 will do fine. If you have the money a Hackva would be better but if you are on a budget, I would not worry with either of those helmets.

So other than the Sea Dogs (CHL) players that they have at the goalie camps I go to, I should be good

Itech hardware (buckles) can be fitted on the 7K and 9K mask. I looked at the welds on the cage, look clean. Dual foam is a good option.

On NV7, I found they had a recall, not sure what timeframe. If that is the mask that fits you best, one thing to double check is the lemon date.

Baeur was easily replacing them. I think some 2500 went under it too, people got free upgrades to NV7s.

If you are worried about ringing, try ear plugs. It works. Soft workplace type ones.

I found a 7K at IWH for $249, and Sportmask Ricochet for $339 at THS.

Surprised nobody mentioned it. If you can find a Koho 570. Lefevre design, full Kevlar. Ugly paint jobs. Solid solid masks can be had for over $100. Really solid.

Full kevlar and top quality resins (I scraped a bit cleaning on the inside of mine, it does not smell like a hospital).

CatEye cages are hard but not impossible to find.

Good luck.

If those are your *only* options, I'd suggest the Sportmask. How did they fit relative to one another?

However, you would do far, far better to order a custom-fitted Protechsport Fibreglass, provided you can make a head-mould and wait a few weeks. The Protechsport will be cheaper ($300 CAD), more durable, better fitted, and (not just as a consequence of the superior fit) more protective than either the X8 or the NME7.

If, however, you need to go retail for time purposes, and the fit is good, the X8 is a better shell.