Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

woody31

New Mask

Are the Protechsport Masks HECC and CSA approved?

Nope, most Masks from small manufacturers are not approved due to the costs or the fact that custom masks cannot be certified due to the way they certify them. Major brand masks (Bauer, Reebok), Sportmask (some models), Mask Marvel, and Hackva I know for sure are certified. Sad thing is that the Certification does not mean much from a personal standpoint as they certify the plastic Widowmaker masks. If your League Requires the sticker, you have two options:

A - Buy a mask that's certified

B - Find the stickers off a used mask and put them on yours (I know goalies who do this, its a way to beat the system)

C - Ask your league if you can sign a waiver clearing them of all liability.

PS - You also need a certified grid cage, a Cat-Eye will nullify any certification

Certifying a custom mask would add about $10,000 to the cost of each mask under the current system. And, of course, certification does not mean each mask leaving the factory has been tested or even checked, only that a few scheduled demos passed. The certification tests also have nothing whatsoever to do with the ability of the mask to mitigate repeated puck impacts. Terrific guarantee, eh?

Ax's three options and qualification re: the cage are all sound, depending on what you're looking to do.

I would add that if you're playing in a league that requires certification for insurance purposes (youth hockey, some adult leagues), and you aren't covered otherwise, you're in a tough spot. You will need to buy a less protective mask in order to be covered by their insurance, and live with the knowledge that you're risking injury in order to be covered in case of injury.

If, however, you're playing in a league (like the US collegiate system) that *recommends* masks that are actually certified but in fact only requires masks that *could* be certified (ie. straight-bar cages, suitable materials), then you CAN in fact use a custom mask. This is why you do see Warwick, Promasque, and even the odd Protechsport in the NCAA, as well as full-custom, uncertified Itech/Bauer masks.

+1 on everyone's recommendation for the Hackva. When I was buying my mask I haven't even heard of this company but they do make a terrific mask.

I just started playing goal a few months ago but have taken a few pucks and sticks to the head already without feeling more than a light tap. Just go into your LHS next time and try to flex the different masks. I was at Sportchek the other day and I decided to give the Bauer 1400 a good flex and you'd be surprised how much that thing bends... try doing the same with a Hackva and you'll see the difference in quality.

Just wanted to throw two cents in here, the flexing of the shell is a solid test, but it only gives you a small portion of the story. The best way to test these things is to remove the cage and then flex the shell. A large number of manufacturers are using the cage as a point of structural rigidity these days, which is not the greatest way to go about things. Hackva is definitely a solid piece to go on, as is Vaughns (which are made by Dom Malerba, of Pro's Choice, these days).

sorry to hijack this thread but I need to get minideej a mask.

He's currently been using a loan 1200 as he's only 7, has been asked to play up (which for us here in the UK with few low levels means the under 12s as he is already in the under 10s) and the under 12's can and do hit harder shots and can get the puck in the air a lot more often.

Which are the recommended junior helmets out there? I was looking at the NME3, but all suggestions would be welcome.

p.s. I'm in Toronto in a week, so supplies should be decent.

The NME3 isn't really going to be an upgrade. Both are cheap lexan shells.

A 7 year old playing with 12us? Definitely get something better. First things first, you need a mask that FITS properly, and has a decently constructed shell. Even the most basic fibreglass mask is going to be better than any of the lexan alternatives, and if the fit of the mask is crap, the protective capabilities of the mask suffers.

I'd suggest looking at a Sportmask Ricochet (which is available in a junior size that usually fits kids that age quite well), or an Eddy Tusk (they have a junior/youth size and a "small" size that fit the same head circumference, but I believe the chin is shorter on the junior/youth) which will fit a little larger. Both of these masks would provide adequate protection, and won't break the bank (the Eddy will be the cheaper option).

Assuming the fit is the same (which it isn't) the Hackva is of superior construction. The X8 is a very good quality fibreglass mask; the Hackva 2608 (any model, cosmetic texalium or not) has full layers of both Kevlar and carbon fibre reinforcing its fibreglass layers, yielding a mask that is much stronger and stiffer respectively. I believe both use a polyester resin, same as the Itech/Bauer 960/1, though the X8 might use a superior epoxy resin. That I'm not sure about: Sportmask doesn't openly say what kind of resin they use, which isn't uncommon.

There are of course additional differences: they offer different cages and window sizes (ie. the hole in the mask that the cage covers), and thus different sightlines, along with different venting, chin-lengths (X8 relatively long, Hackva relatively short). Most importantly, the fit is different enough that one will almost certainly be better for any given person than another.