Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jim Bob

Has anyone else read THN's Great Debates?

It's a special edition that you have to buy. They said it has been out since October 25th, but I had to go to a couple of different bookstores before I found it. And I almost missed it because of where they had it laid out.

But it was well worth it.

I thought it was awesome. And not just because the writers and fans that were polled said that Brett Hull's goal shouldn't have counted.

:D

You mean there is actually debate over that? I can't imagine anyone (other then maybe a mildly retarded Dallas fan or something) even beginning to try and justify that one.

I thought it would be like the Yearbook and come in the mail. Damn cheapskates.

The yearbook is figured in to the subscription price. This was an unplanned addition and wasn't figured into the cost by THN.

And it's a nice magazine edition, like the yearbook. They'd lose a ton of money if they sent it to subscribers for free.

I'm surprised you had such trouble finding it, but I guess that since I'm in Toronto, I can go into just about anywhere and find it.

It was definitely a good read, but I was surprised at some of the results (can't remember what, but I'll post again when I flip through it a 2nd time). I thought some of the counterpoints were weak as well.

And IMO, the Hull goal shouldn't have counted.

My grocery store, which has THN and WNY Hockey Magazine in the newspaper section and the THN Yearbook in the magazine section didn't have it.

I checked a bookstore near where I work and they didn't have it.

I then went to another bookstore and they had it.

And I live in a pretty decent hockeytown in Rochester, NY.

Is that the what if edition, heard somewhere that if would have been like what if the Hull goal woudn't have counted?? If Eric would have played for Quebec?? If Roy woudn't have been traded to the Avs, stuff like that??

Is that the what if edition, heard somewhere that if would have been like what if the Hull goal woudn't have counted?? If Eric would have played for Quebec?? If Roy woudn't have been traded to the Avs, stuff like that??

Yeah that's the one, what if Orr had two good knees, if Mario was drafted by the Devils.

I agree this is a good read, and I have been recommending to everyone I know that likes hockey. I thought the best talent and best player catagories were created to appease both 66 fans and 99 fans, what's a debate if a few toes aren't stepped on?

Here are a few things that I couldn't believe:

Most Underrated Player: I can't believe Shane Doan got 2 votes from the writers...I remember when Doan had his first decent season and almost the ENTIRE fuckin' hockey world goes ape shit about how good he is...he's a fine player and I like him, don't get me wrong, but for all that he HAS NOT achieved at the NHL level, I think he's OVERRATED at this point.

Best Hockey Nation: 40 votes for Canada...not hard to understand considering it's a Canadian publication (I'm from Canada and I love my country too - my vote goes to my homeland!), but I have to hand it to the only guy that had the balls to vote for the Czech Republic...which, I think was a mistake, considering that their rise to REAL prominence has only been in the last decade or so...where's RUSSIA guys? These were the guys kicking everyone's asses (and I hate to admit it, Canada's too) for the longest time, and still produce some of the sickest talent on the planet...

Martin Gelinas: Goal or No Goal?: Interesting that they were willing to hand the U.S. based Dallas Stars the cup on an obvious NO GOAL, but weren't willing to award an OBVIOUS GOAL to the Canada based Flames...let's face it, everyone knows the cup belongs to Calgary.

Wood or Composite?: Thank you. Now everyone drop your overpriced composite tomato stakes and pick up a real stick.

The Czech Republic has produced an amazing number of NHL players considering teh size of the country.

The puck wasn't in, live with it.