Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Latest on Theoren Fleury

I c/p'd as there's a subscription.

TORONTO (AP) -- Theo Fleury is still battling a substance abuse problem, nearly two years after the former star last played an NHL game.

``I'm not sober,'' Fleury told Rogers Sportsnet in an interview broadcast Monday. ``But am I trying? Yeah I'm trying, I'm trying every day. Do I want to be sober? Yeah, eventually at some point I want to be sober.''

Fleury, 36, was suspended by the NHL in April 2003, three months after Ohio police said the seven-time All Star was intoxicated following an altercation at a Columbus strip club.

Fleury voluntarily checked himself into alcohol rehab during the spring of 2001, while he was with the New York Rangers. He missed the final 20 games of that season.

His abuse was not limited to alcohol or any specific drug.

``It was all of them, it was every single one of them that you could put your finger on,'' Fleury said. ``Once you get a handle on one thing, then something else creeps up, then once you get that under control then something else creeps up, that's the nature of the disease that people really don't understand. This is a lifelong sentence.''

Fleury signed a two-year, $8.5 million contract with the Blackhawks on Aug. 15, 2002, after being released by the Rangers.

He was suspended two days before the regular season after reporting his own aftercare violation. He sat out 25 games before returning on Dec. 6. Fleury finished with 12 goals and 21 assists in 54 games.

Fleury notched 455 goals and 633 assists in 1,084 career NHL games.

I saw part 1 of the 3 part interview on Sportsnet. Sounds like he's been through hell and back. Addicitions, and the disease they spawn must be terrible to battle. Your will gets broken down so badly time and time again. I wish him the best, but it's a tough road.

There was talk (from a hockey panel on TV) of him being Hall of Fame material if he could have finished his carreer in a better way. Over a point a game for 1,000 games... Scored a couple of big playoff goals for Calgary during their run way back when.

Theo,

I'd imagine that being molested by your coach messes one up well beyond the point of anything money and fame can provide...

imagine having the one thing you truly love to do..also be the worst way to spend your days when you're in your teen years....

Theoren had a lot of issues before he came to NY, and the city definitely wasn't the best place for him to be...

there are a lot of stories about him while in NY..some of which I saw..but as they do no help to the guy...not really worth sharing...hopefully he gets on with his life and is able to live clean

...there are a lot of stories about him while in NY..some of which I saw..but as they do no help to the guy...not really worth sharing...hopefully he gets on with his life and is able to live clean

Not to be tactless...but what did some of the stories in NY pertain to??