Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

therf

move from externo to vector/pro tack/8090

Some background...

I've been skating in a size 12 D E-50 for about 2 yrs now. I've been fairly happy with the comfort afforded by the skate, but have a few issues -- namely the lack of forward flex in the boot and the loose fit around the heel. For these reasons I've decided to look for a new skate. While I would like a light skate, I also need a strong skate since I am a big guy @ 6'4" 235. I know the best way to choose a new skate is to go to your lhs and try a bunch of skates on, but at size 12 D/EE that is not an option.

So far I've only tried on a Vapor XX size 12EE, fit was ok and forward flex felt excellent. I ultimately decided against this skate for durability reasons. I will be trying on a 8090 12 EE tomorrow night. I would love to try on a Vector Pro 12D (have questions about durability here as well) and a Pro Tack 12D, but these have been impossible to track down at any lhs.

I would have to order the Pro Tacks or Vector Pro blind off the internet. Any recommendations out of the remaining skates (Vector Pro, Pro Tack, 8090)? If I fit a Vapor 12EE would I fit a 8090 12EE (I don't have the option of trying on a 12 D to compare)?

I have comfortably worn both Bauer & CCM in the past, abeit distant past (Bauer 100s back in the mid 80's and CCM Ultra Tacks towards the late 80's). When I started skating again a few years back I was using the Ultra Tacks until they broke down -- but I loved them right up until that point.

Thanks in advance,

Marc

Loose fit in the heel?

Might want to look into a skate with a narrower heel.

Also - I've found that you should drop 1/2 size for the 8090.

What's your foot type?

Got access to S500? Might work for ya...

What skates have a narrower heel? Also it's still not clear to me how much of my heel movement is due to me tying the skates extremely loose so I can have the forward flex I was looking for.

Unfortunately I don't have access to a S500. I called the 2 major hockey shops in the Chicagoland area and all I've been able to come up with were the 8090s & the Vapor XX in a size 12. The 8090s are being sent over to a store closer to me to try on tomorrow night.

How do I determine my foot type? I currently wear a size 14 D in a street shoe. I know my foot won't fit into a 12 D XX but did fit fairly comfortably in a 12 EE.

Thanks for the response,

Marc

i dunno if this will help you any, but my brother use to always get blisters on his heel and ankles when skating. we went to a shop in the city for skates for him, and my brother previously was fitted in EE mission pure lites, and the guy there said the blister problem was becuz his ankle wasn't locked down, so he put him in a D and punched the toe area out a little and its worked fine for him

What skates have a narrower heel? Also it's still not clear to me how much of my heel movement is due to me tying the skates extremely loose so I can have the forward flex I was looking for.

Unfortunately I don't have access to a S500. I called the 2 major hockey shops in the Chicagoland area and all I've been able to come up with were the 8090s & the Vapor XX in a size 12. The 8090s are being sent over to a store closer to me to try on tomorrow night.

How do I determine my foot type? I currently wear a size 14 D in a street shoe. I know my foot won't fit into a 12 D XX but did fit fairly comfortably in a 12 EE.

Thanks for the response,

Marc

Hey what stores did you call?

Gunzo's & Jerry's. Had some luck with Gunzo's, tried on the Vapor XX last week and they have a few pairs of 8090s in stock in my size. I'm just hesitant to go that route w/o trying on any other skates -- I would love to try the Pro Tack & Vector Pro, as well as the Mission S500 (as suggested by JR).

Just an update.

Had a chance to try on the 8090 12 EE tonight. Felt great in the heel & toe box, only concern was that it might have been a little wide in the mid-foot area. They are having a pair of D width skates sent over from another location so I can give those a try.

If these fit I almost feel obligated to buy them, otherwise I'd have to order a pair of skates (Vector Pro / Pro Tack / S500) blind off the internet due to my oversized feet.

Glad you did. Otherwise I probably would have settled for the EE assuming the skate bake & fit machine would snug them up. At that point it would have been too late to turn back.

Heating the 8090 EE width in your case would not have reduced the width of the skates if they already felt wide. It is hightly recommended to feel snug rather than lose prior to heating as they will & can mold out up to 2 widths in certain cases.