Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jason Harris

Highlights or hidden gems in Florida?

A quick backstory. We were on our way to visit the out-laws this past August when Southwest announced they needed up to three volunteers to give up their seats. I quickly ran to the podium to sign up, then the family discussed who would stay behind depending how many seats they needed, since Grumps lives only 12 minutes from the S.D. airport. They ended up needing two seats, so the Big D and I had to hang out for two hours, but were given around $750 of vouchers for our time. She and I had to return home that Sunday, while the ladies were staying with the grandparents, when I started thinking that if Southwest needed two seats on a Tuesday night, there had to be big odds that they would needs seats on a Sunday afternoon, so I checked their website. Sure enough, the first five flights of the day were listed as sold out, so we immediately volunteered our seats when we got to the gate. We got lucky once again, because we were given around $850 of vouchers to hang out at Grumps' house for another three hours.

WIth $1,600 of Southwest vouchers that had to be spent in twelve months, we booked a trip to Tampa the first day they fares became available. We had to pay the taxes of about $175, but not bad for just having had to hang out at the airport for a couple of hours.

So my question is whether people have any suggestions of what they consider highlights (museums, natural attractions, etc) of Florida for a family with 12- and 14-year-old daughters, regardless of how well known the sites might be? Out tentative itinerary is to fly into Tampa, head to Fort Myers to see the Sox in spring training, then cut through the Everglades to Miami, down to Key West, then heading up the east coast to Capa Canaveral and St. Augustine, before heading back to Tampa. Any particular places to see along that route? Any deviations we should make for some must-sees elsewhere?

Thanks!

Ok, here's my take:

Out tentative itinerary is to fly into Tampa,

-If you like museums we have the largest collection of Dali's at the Dali museum. We also have a new Dale Chihuly museum which is spectacular. Ft Desoto Park has some nice beaches with great views, the fort, and a ferry out to Egmont Key, all a ice way to spend a day. Busch Gardens has great roller coasters, lots of them.

Head to Fort Myers to see the Sox in spring training,

-I've only really ever passed through Ft. Myers

Then cut through the Everglades to Miami,

-There are lots of places to stop and see gators and just soak up nice views of "the river of grass". It's quintessential Florida. You might look into the Miccosukee reservation near Big Cypress for gator shows, airboat rides, etc. Airboat rides are very fun!

-Miami. Traffic, lot of it, f you plan on going into the city. There are some cool things to do though. South Beach has it's own very unique flavor. Good food, eye candy, and your daughters will go nuts over the shopping. Like basketball? Take in a Heat game, beautiful arena right by south beach.

Down to Key West

-This is, to me, the best part of Florida. Take the Card Sound Rd bypass for a more natural drive to Key Largo (and US1 which you'll follow to Key West), don't count on getting anywhere in a hurry (all the way down) and enjoy. The whole ride is gorgeous. It just gets prettier the closer you get to Mile 0.

-On Key Largo Pennekamp Park is famous for it's snorkeling- but a lot of it's reef's have died- the best is a short boat ride from Key West to the Dry Tortugas.

-Islamorada is famous for it's fishing- if you are into that there are great near shore and off shore charters here. The 7 mile bridge is very cool, and it's in this area that the water starts to turn Azure.

-Coming up after that is Bahia Honda State Park. This is a must stop- you can walk out on the old Bahia Honda bridge, snorkel in the shallows on the east side, camping is beautiful this time of year. The cabins there are a great place to stay too. Just fantastic views and environments. The bird watching is top notch. Probably the best beach in Florida. Probably one of the best in the country.

-The next island is Big Pine Key- home of the endangered Key Deer. These deer are tiny and found only on BPK and it's nearby keys. If you ride back through Big Pine to No Name Key you'll see tons of these critters.

-It's not far to the end of the road now- Key West. I recommend staying down near the main strip (Duval Street, Whiting Street) at a B&B. We like Duval Gardens, centrally located (and not on the noisy end) and pretty affordable. If you have more funds, the best is The Gardens. Amazing walled in grounds and top notch service. I'm not positive they take kids under 16 though.

- Stuff to do. Must: Key West Lighthouse (best view in the city), Hemingway House, Mel Fisher Treasure Museum, Southernmost Point Marker. Recommend the aquarium, sunset festival at Mallory Square, and aimless wandering.

- Cool stuff not well known: Nancy Foresters Secret Garden- rainforest situated in the middle of the old city- amazing. Tons of rare plants, orchids, flowers, birds. The Chicken Store. It's a chicken store, and awesome.

-Best Beach in Key West: Ft. Zachary Taylor Park. This is where the locals go- it's a little rocky, but the snorkeling right off the beach is great- Tarpon, Barracuda, Reef Fish, Grouper, Lobsters. Touring the fort is cool too.

-Restaurants- 7 Fish is a must. The Green Parrot is the best bar in the city, with the best music. Also nice to hit the big land marks (Sloppy Joe's, etc).

So, do yourself a favor and stay in the old city- it may cost a little more, but its much better than having to drive down there, find parking, etc. Get yourself in a nice B&B (everything is rate controlled by the hotel board)- and have one of the bike companies deliver a few rental bikes for you guys. They come with locks and lights, it's the best way to get around. Key West is awesome.

-Capa Canaveral: Go To Kennedy Space Center and do the full tour. There might be a shuttle on the pad, and there are only two flights left! Seeing he saturn V center, the VAB, etc is incredible. The rocket garden is amazing, as are the IMAX films and exhibits.

-St. Augustine: The fort is very very cool, as is the old city. It's the oldest city in the country and has a lot of neat historical stuff.

Before heading back to Tampa. Any particular places to see along that route? Any deviations we should make for some must-sees elsewhere?

If you are into Nascar the Daytona Speedway tour is cool.

Feel free to ask me any questions. We lived in Brevard county (Cape Canaveral area), Have vacationed in the Keys many times (married and reception at the Lighthouse), grew up in Tampa. Also have lived in Orlando and Tallahassee.

Wow, thanks for that input! And thanks for your P.M., also.

We'll have to determine what our budget is, but this information gives us a great head start to start booking reservations.

If you go during the hockey season then plan to hit a Panthers game. You can get great seats from scalpers for bargain basement prices and parking is free.

That's actually a good idea, chippa. Once I saw that the B's weren't going to be in town, I didn't give it another though, but that would be a good thing to do while in the Miami area.

The arena is pretty much right off the Florida turnpike so it should be an easy ride from Miami and it is located by a large shopping area. The last time I was down in Ft. Lauderdale was the first time I got to see the B's down there. All of the other times I've been a Panthers fan. You can't beat the price, I've bought lower bowl seats around 20 rows up for $30 each from scalpers.

We're staying in Key West tonight, and drove by a roller hockey rink earlier in the day that bills itself as the "Southernmost Hockey League." I was curious if anyone from MSH has played at this rink?

That's funny you say that, JR, because other than today's rain, we've been saying how lucky we've been with the weather. Even though I grew up in Boston (decent humidity) and the Big D grew up in San Diego (a touch of humidity), we're fully acclimated to the dryness of Denver, so when the temperature creeps up to go along with humidity, we don't deal well with it. We've been averaging mid-80's for most of our trip -- nothing to complain about there!