Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doctor Hook

Indoor wheel question

I decided to give roller a try (I still play ice hockey as well) and I am still learning a lot about roller gear.

My indoor rink uses Sport Court (the plastic mesh-like tiles). My wheels are 76mm Labeda Power Lite Grip. From what I've read, these are appropriate for both indoor and outdoor use, but when I skated, I felt the wheels slip and skid every so often, particularly after I take a shot or need to do a sudden change in direction.

I'm wondering if upgrading to actual indoor-specific wheels would do the trick, or if these wheels are good enough for your typical beer league and I'd just have to get used to the slipping.

Also, I don't think the Sport Court is cleaned or wiped down or whatever, seemed filthy.

Thanks all, looking forward to learning more and playing this great sport.

It would help if you know what kind of durometer (wheel hardness) you're currently using and how much you weight.

In gerenal getting softer wheels will give you more grip but they'll be less durable.

I use Rink Rat Hornets, the xx grip version. Have lasted pretty well so far, and still look new. Great grip and you can also pick them up in the xxx version (yellow wheel)

Also have Revision Platinums on my Wicked Light's and they've been great too

There's other wheels such as the Addictions - do a search on this forum and read some reviews!

It would help if you know what kind of durometer (wheel hardness) you're currently using and how much you weight.

In gerenal getting softer wheels will give you more grip but they'll be less durable.

78A and I'm 200lbs or so.

If I play 1 beer league roller hockey game per week with average wear and tear, about how long do you think a quality set of wheels should last?

I use Rink Rat Hornets, the xx grip version. Have lasted pretty well so far, and still look new. Great grip and you can also pick them up in the xxx version (yellow wheel)

Also have Revision Platinums on my Wicked Light's and they've been great too

There's other wheels such as the Addictions - do a search on this forum and read some reviews!

Good info, will look into those. Thanks!

Revision, Labeda and Rinkrat all make excellent indoor wheels. Any of their indoor wheels with a 76a hardness should be fine. I'd avoid hyper these days.

Rinkrats hornet/hotshot wheels are pretty decent but i wouldn't get the xxx's, they chunk too easily and im a fair bit lighter than you. Labeda gripper millennium are a great wheel to begin with personally.

For a quality wheel at your size the Revision Bronze would be perfect for you. 76a durometer seems to fit the bill for guys you're size that I play with and every one of them seems to love to Revision Bronze in terms of wear and durability.

Great info, guys, I appreciate the help.

I actually just received these in the mail (I ordered before I started the thread):

http://cgi.ebay.com/GREEN-Inline-Skate-WHEELS-Indoor-76mm-74a-Hockey-8pk_W0QQitemZ360346923955QQcategoryZ64670QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D10%26pmod%3D360338794860%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7342606613186579510

Will give them a changeover tonight. Oh also, I've never changed inline wheels before but from what I've read, it doesn't seem like too much of a challenge. However, any hints, tips, tricks for wheel changing is also appreciated.

Here are a couple tips from my experience:

-Do not skate outdoors with your indoor wheels.

-When in doubt, get the harder/more durable wheel. I can not tell you how many times I've flat out busted wheels by getting a softer set.

-Cleaning out your bearings/axles does wonders. Do this when your putting on your wheels. Just take your bearings/axles out and use a paper towel and a Q-tip. Remove all the dust that clogs the bearings. When they're shining like new they work like new.

-I like to use the bearing lube. Spray it into each of your bearings before taking the floor. You can find this stuff at any LHS.

-Oh yeah, and in ROLLER hockey WATER is your enememy! Keep it away from your wheels!

Here are a couple tips from my experience:

-Do not skate outdoors with your indoor wheels.

-When in doubt, get the harder/more durable wheel. I can not tell you how many times I've flat out busted wheels by getting a softer set.

-Cleaning out your bearings/axles does wonders. Do this when your putting on your wheels. Just take your bearings/axles out and use a paper towel and a Q-tip. Remove all the dust that clogs the bearings. When they're shining like new they work like new.

-I like to use the bearing lube. Spray it into each of your bearings before taking the floor. You can find this stuff at any LHS.

-Oh yeah, and in ROLLER hockey WATER is your enememy! Keep it away from your wheels!

Good stuff, thanks for writing that up!

One thing with the 74A wheels make sure you do not skate hard on them right away give them some break in time i weigh 135 i had some 74a wheels went out skated in a practice at the end i had three broken wheels but got the new one and skated easy for awhile then they lasted me 2 seasons plus 3 skating sessions a wook and some speed team practice on the side but thats on a wood surface so those should work great for you size and being on sport court.