Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vulcan7905

Adult Beginner League

The best guy on our team was moved up to the next league, but we still won our second game last night. Much closer though. Again, it's really great to have a league without superstars. And my teammates are patient with me.

Thanks again for that video WH. I'm still trying to figure out how to stop players with the puck (along with everything else). I often get one poke at the puck, with all upper body, and then I'm out of the play.

But still having a blast, and counting off hours until the next game.

Our League director has made tomorrow just a clinic since a lot are going to the Tampa game and a lot want to watch it. I will be there and just record it and watch it when I get home. He salso said that that one game will be added onto the end of the season. So I'll be missing two games at the end of the season since vacation is the same time. Oh well, I get some practice tomorrow at least.

I'm still trying to figure out how to stop players with the puck (along with everything else). I often get one poke at the puck, with all upper body, and then I'm out of the play.

With experience, you'll get positioning and timing down on when to go for the poke check and when to just force the puck carrier to the boards or outside. Or even inside if you're baiting him up for a teammate to step up on him/her.

I'm still trying to figure out positioning as well. I'd love to see a good explanation of what are everyones "duties". I mean, rather than showing me a hockey play with x's and o's, in general, if I'm playing centre, what are the general goals/duties of my position? Kind of a floater who goes wherever I'm needed, or what? I hate feeling like I'm completely out of position every game!

I'm still trying to figure out positioning as well. I'd love to see a good explanation of what are everyones "duties". I mean, rather than showing me a hockey play with x's and o's, in general, if I'm playing centre, what are the general goals/duties of my position? Kind of a floater who goes wherever I'm needed, or what? I hate feeling like I'm completely out of position every game!

If your center you should be helping the 1 D-man if he's behind the net. The other D-man should be guarding the front. If the puck is on the half boards keep an eye on the slot and stay between the hash marks.

This is all in regards to the defensive zone.

If your center you should be helping the 1 D-man if he's behind the net. The other D-man should be guarding the front. If the puck is on the half boards keep an eye on the slot and stay between the hash marks.

This is all in regards to the defensive zone.

Yea, this is the kind of thing I'd love to see posted somewhere. Maybe it is, and I'm just unable to find it...

Defense is .... difficult. Just hard to learn the footwork to track the offensive player. I think I just need to do more 1-on-1 and 2-on-2 during stick and puck.

Wish we had such a thing here. They claim there's no time in the schedule for Stick and Puck... despite the figure skaters getting tons of freestyle time to practice. They have 3 hour public skating sessions... why not cut that down to 2 hour and have stick and puck? Sheesh.

I typically play LW, and last game I think I was a bit better positionally... I kept a closer eye on their RD while in our zone. Did a bit of corner digging and made sure to get back to the point. My endurance is still bad, so I still have some problems keeping up, but I think I'm understanding my coverage a bit better now.

The most experienced forwards on your team should be center, if thats you then great! In beer league, you have a lot of responsibilities from my experience in playing.

Defense - You cover the other teams center and cover, you guessed it, the center of the ice. In addition, you also keep track of your wings and keep them in line. Make sure they cover the points because wingers always have the tendency to go to the net and leave them open. Also be sure to help the D if needed but focus more on the front of the net and keep players from crashing if the D isn't there. Finally, you have the most range of motion so you must be aware of whats around you and not open any lanes for the other team.

Offense - Center of the ice, making passes, controlling the play. Use your defensemen to you advantage to help open up space for yourself and wingers. Don't crash the net so much as if the other teams gets possession, you won't have time to get back on D.

This is just my advice but it might help you

The most experienced forwards on your team should be center, if thats you then great! In beer league, you have a lot of responsibilities from my experience in playing.

Defense - You cover the other teams center and cover, you guessed it, the center of the ice. In addition, you also keep track of your wings and keep them in line. Make sure they cover the points because wingers always have the tendency to go to the net and leave them open. Also be sure to help the D if needed but focus more on the front of the net and keep players from crashing if the D isn't there. Finally, you have the most range of motion so you must be aware of whats around you and not open any lanes for the other team.

Offense - Center of the ice, making passes, controlling the play. Use your defensemen to you advantage to help open up space for yourself and wingers. Don't crash the net so much as if the other teams gets possession, you won't have time to get back on D.

This is just my advice but it might help you

Understood. I certainly don't play center though, I'm nowhere skilled enough (though I did play center during a PK and was 50% on faceoffs - so much fun!). I'm usually wing. Still haven't decided which side I like better.

My biggest problem I think right now is taking a pass from behind me. By that I mean, when we're breaking out, and I'm along the side boards waiting for a pass from the D-men. I'm not very good at looking back and managing to take the pass cleanly. I often miss it, sometimes resulting in icing calls :(

Yikes, no stick and puck? That's the majority of my ice time. I guess you might as well keep bugging them about it. Hopefully someday they'll set aside a few hours a week.

Accepting a pass while moving forward on the breakout is exactly the kind of thing to work on in stick and puck. I'm not great at it either.

Sounds awesome! My skating has progressed to the point when Im planning on getting into playing open hockey this fall. Nice to see Im not the only, "old" guy who still plays.

Great breakdown..How about forwards?

From Wikipedia

A winger's responsibilities in the offensive zone include:

* fighting for the puck in their zone

* positioning themselves in front of the net

* making plays to open teammates

Wingers should typically not:

* fight for the puck in the same corner as their fellow winger

* chase the puck down low in their own zone

The wingers' responsibilities in the defensive zone include the following:

* wait for a pass from their teammates

* intercept a pass to the opposing defenceman

* attack the opposing defencemen when they have the puck

Wingers should typically not:

* play deep in their zone

* help out their teammates along the boards

Yikes, no stick and puck? That's the majority of my ice time. I guess you might as well keep bugging them about it. Hopefully someday they'll set aside a few hours a week.

Accepting a pass while moving forward on the breakout is exactly the kind of thing to work on in stick and puck. I'm not great at it either.

Yeah, it blows. We have a developmental thing on Fridays, but its for both kids and adults. And we mostly just do 1 on 1, 2 on 1, etc plays and not much of anything else. Lots of skating around cones with the puck and stuff.

Got a break away tonight and of course I go to shoot the puck and miss then fall. I think people are surprised by my speed when I'm on the ice really.

So there is a rink around where I am from and i think its a pretty sweet program that a lot of rinks should offer, but don't. I think we can all agree they (the rinks) could make some serious money.

Dover Arena Co-Ed Hockey League

This league is focused on the beginner/intermediate hockey player, 18 and over, and is CO-ED. This is a 6 team league, players register individually and the arena staff adjusts the rosters to ensure parity between the teams. Full equipment is required. Focus is on fun, teamwork and skill improvement. Jerseys, referee, timekeepers and scorekeeper are provided for the games. There are very strict discipline and tough play rules. Strong intermediate players and advanced players should not join this league.

Full equipment is required. Games will be held on Monday nights, one game per week, starting at about 7:00pm. Non-contact, no slap shots. Registrations are limited and this program fills quickly!

Dates: July 11 - August 29, 2011; Mondays

Times: Mondays between 7 & 11pm

Cost: $165 for 8 skates

Current players must sign up by June 19th to hold your spot for the summer program. After that date those on the wait list will be assigned to a team.

Co-ed/Beginner Pick-up Hockey - Wednesdays

This is a beginner hockey pick up game for men and women ages 18 and over. This recreational program focuses on skill enhancement and fun. This is a safe, non-contact program and welcomes all beginner skaters and intermediate skaters that can stay focused on a fun pick-up game situation. No strong intermediate or advanced men or women skaters in this program. Full hockey equipment required. Each session is an hour and a half. Two goalies will be provided.

Dates: July 13 - August 24, 2011; Wednesdays

Times: 9:30-11:00pm

Cost: $10 per skater. Call ahead with an arena pass or pay ahead to reserve a spot.

For more information,

Wow, that is pretty awesome Hampshirepuck. $165 is a hell of a deal(which probably doesn't include being USA Hockey certified). I paid (well the wife technically) 205 for a 12 week league. I'm always happy to see beginner leagues get started. I always try to help out as much as I can with them cause I love to see new people get into hockey and enjoy the sport as much as I do.

yeah its a pretty cool program, and the winter season is about the same price , I like to play at the pick up sessions, not because i play at that level, but its a fun skate and like you, it feels good to teach the newer guys some basics like puck cycling and forechecking. Yet for some reason there is still the wannabe hot shots out there picking fights...its actually kinda funny. My B-league team for a 17-game season is about 240

We have a lower skill level pickup night once a week. It actually consists of 1hr of drills and 1hr of pickup. Unfortunately there are still higher skilled guys who show up, which is frustrating. I don't need some guy hotdoggin while I'm trying to learn how to play.. But still better than what most places have, I suppose.

I don't understand why people do that. Just for there own ego boost or what? We have two guys on the other team who hotdog it non stop and try to push around my 110 lb female teammate. I put an end to that because she is just a beginner and they feel all big and bad. Go play in the novice and leave us newbies alone while we enjoy the game and try to improve. Freaking Idiots.