Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mhkehoe

CCM (formerly KOHO) Crossover Blades

I just noticed it looks like the KOHO Crossover ABS blades have been rebranded as CCM (and lower model KOHOs as Reebok 2k ABS). They also now are in more curves. Only issue is, they have gone up a ton in price. Hopefully they will settle back down to their $25 price tag per blade, I don't think I could stand paying that much for a blade then drag it across asphalt.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/ccm-hockey-replacement-blade-crossover-sr.html

yeah not sure what they are thinking tacking an extra 17 bucks per blade - maybe they are looking for a reason to stop selling them?

I can only assume that because the back order they have been on for the last 2-3 months, one place thought they could charge a bit more for them from the people desperate for the blade, and then everyone else (IE Hockey Monkey) followed suit with slightly lower prices. Either that, or producing a different blade curve ended up being expensive and they are passing on this new setup cost onto the customer.

im all for them adding new curves - there really arent very many choices for a outdoor blade - but the crossover was already $5 bucks more than the rbk 2k's and now they are $20 more. $38 is just too much for a outdoor blade that at most will last a month or two.

Is the durability of an ABS blade really worth the premium over say a Fiberglass laminate blade?

Depends on the surface...on smooth concrete that's in good condition it's probably not that much better. On pure asphalt, it's ABS or nothing.

Another thing to remember about ABS is that you're sacrificing some performance (due to torquing, feel etc.) for durability. Since many people seem to find this a worthy sacrifice (or just don't know the difference :biggrin: ) the ABS blade will continue to be produced, but in limited variety (curves) as I don't think there exists a large enough market for them.

Even the larger hockey stores here in Canada (PHL, Sportchek etc.) only carry one or at max 2 models of ABS blades (usually the Easton and sometimes older model Reeboks) simply because not many people buy them compared to traditional wood blades or composite ones.

it might be a smaller market initially - but you go through blades way faster. i dont know what the volume numbers are for koho or rbk but i usually get a month out of an abs blade and can get a year out of a composite blade.

Another thing to remember about ABS is that you're sacrificing some performance (due to torquing, feel etc.) for durability.

I think if you are using this with a light street hockey ball (non fluid filled), i don't think torquing is a huge issue with ABS. But say with a puck or fluid filled ball it can definitely be a plus to have something stiffer. Compared to the traditional old school plastic street hockey blade, its pretty stiff. Do kids still use those old street hockey blades nowadays? Thats the sole reason why i used to collect broken old wood sticks back in the day. To convert them into street hockey sticks so we would have extras for the neighborhoods kids to use for a pickup street hockey game.

I think if you are using this with a light street hockey ball (non fluid filled), i don't think torquing is a huge issue with ABS. But say with a puck or fluid filled ball it can definitely be a plus to have something stiffer. Compared to the traditional old school plastic street hockey blade, its pretty stiff. Do kids still use those old street hockey blades nowadays? Thats the sole reason why i used to collect broken old wood sticks back in the day. To convert them into street hockey sticks so we would have extras for the neighborhoods kids to use for a pickup street hockey game.

For sure, for anyone playing roller outdoors with a puck, ABS would torque a bit. As for the plastic street blades, yes they do sell, but personally I wouldn't ever use one

For sure, for anyone playing roller outdoors with a puck, ABS would torque a bit. As for the plastic street blades, yes they do sell, but personally I wouldn't ever use one

Does anybody know how the straight ABS blades compare to the crossover blades which would be more durable? I imagine the crossovers have a better feel for the puck tho

Also which blades CCM makes is close to the KOHO Jagr curve?

If you play on a smooth concrete rink, you may want to try the Warrior Bentley blade. It's a composite blade but it's a solid composite (no foam core). I play about 3 times/week. The blade wears down like an ABS blade. It was going strong for about 2 months but then the blade got caught in a board seam and snapped. Blade wear reminds me of the old CCM Vector 5 blades (black and grey ones) or CCM Vector 8 blades (black and yellow).

Also theres this blade http://www.reebokhoc...oduct/2k-blade/

Im assuming thats equal to the CCM crossover blade right there both fiberglass reinforced with ABS core

No, it is the KOHO Ultimate blade, it is significantly more flimsy. The Crossover has a wood core that extends into the blade. I have used these blades with a weighted roller puck, and you can feel it flex a lot.

The CCM Crossover is unique in the ABS blade line in its structural integrity. It is a shame they are so expensive now, because even with a curve I hate, I would buy them over all other ABS blades.

No, it is the KOHO Ultimate blade, it is significantly more flimsy. The Crossover has a wood core that extends into the blade. I have used these blades with a weighted roller puck, and you can feel it flex a lot.

The CCM Crossover is unique in the ABS blade line in its structural integrity. It is a shame they are so expensive now, because even with a curve I hate, I would buy them over all other ABS blades.

Which would you say hold up better as far as wearing on concrete?

Which would you say hold up better as far as wearing on concrete?

Both will wear approximately the same, maybe slightly less wear on Crossover.

I don't think the price difference will be worth it for ball hockey. I haven't touched the Crossovers since they were rebranded CCM and went up $10 in price.