Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sniper9

stiffer stick for roller hockey?

for those who play both roller and ice, do you use the same flex for both? i used to use a stiffer stick for roller because i find that the roller surface provides a lot more friction, therefore it creates a decent bend in the shaft. for example, i used to use 85 on ice and 100 on roller.. this year was the first year i tried 75 on ice, and i love it. i tried the 75 on roller and it seems to be fine but when i really lean into slappers in roller it feels like my stick is going to snap in half! also, i sometimes completely knuckle the roller puck.. i am not sure if it is just the nature of roller pucks or the flex.. OR the fact that i am a bit higher up on inline skates which makes the stick a tad shorter causing a slight change in lie. your guys' thoughts?

I actually use a siffer stick for ice. The ice will load your stick more, even if it feels like it doesn't. The puck is also lighter in roller, which is why most people I know use a lighter stiffness for roller. Some say the puck/ floor balance each other out, and use the same flex for both. But i will tell you, 95% of people I know use stiffer sticks for ice, including myself.

I actually use a siffer stick for ice. The ice will load your stick more, even if it feels like it doesn't. The puck is also lighter in roller, which is why most people I know use a lighter stiffness for roller. Some say the puck/ floor balance each other out, and use the same flex for both. But i will tell you, 95% of people I know use stiffer sticks for ice, including myself.

I can see why some will use stiffer for ice since the puck does weigh more on ice, therefore the puck itself will cause my flex in the shaft. for me, i really feel my stick flex on roller compared to ice on slappers.. maybe it just has to do with the weight of the puck and nothing to do with the surface...

Do you notice the differences in weight between the ice and roller pucks?

(sorry, I don't play ice, so I don't have personal experience to speak from)

I do notice a big diff.. Ice is heavier, and roller is quite a bit lighter. I wish they come up with a roller puck that is closer to the weight of an ice puck, but i know it is hard to do that while having the puck slide well too

ice puck is definitely heavier.

i have been using a easton ultra lite 100 and just ordered a reebok 6k 77flex. will report back when I test it out. i play on smooth concrete for now.

I currently use the same stick for everything, but that is because they are pro-stocks and I I love the curve/feel of the stick.

Last year though I used three different flexes for three different surfaces.

1. I primarily play roller hockey on a waxed wood floor and preferred to use a 110-flex stick. I find this to be the "grippiest" surface. I do not tape the bottom of my blade for this surface.

2. Playing roller hockey on sport court I would use an 85-flex stick! Even when taping the bottom of the blade, I could not seem to get as much on my shot when playing sport court. 85 was still a little whippy though and I ended up using 100-flex when it was all said and done.

3. Placing ice hockey, I would use a 100-flex stick. I played forward though rather than my regular defense. I also taped the bottom of the blade when playing ice. If I played D, I would have used a stiffer stick.

I like stiffer for roller. I may be weird, but it seems that the extra friction makes it easier to load up the stick when shooting.

im using around 90 flex for roller and 85ish for ice. So, stiffer for roller (more friction), especially when you doing a lot of slap shot and one timer.

i used to use stiffer for street.

i broke many of my old wooden sticks on ice.

i started using a 100flex easton ultra lite on ice for a while. it worked fine but was a bit stiff.

now i'm venturing again to softer flexes. i just got a reebok 6k 75 flex. going to try this weekend on smooth concrete.

I use a whippier stick for roller hockey. Raygunpk has a good point about the friction though. I use duct tape on the bottom of my stick when playing roller hockey because the friction makes it just like ice. Yeah, it sounds kind of hick, but it saves my blade and makes the friction almost the same.

update: played with the flexier stick and there were definitely a couple times where I thought I was going to break it. but my shot velocity does seem harder. this will take some getting used to. my passing and shooting was a bit off.

i tried to use different flexes for ice and roller and found that it messed with my head i tried variations of a 77 85 and 100 flex sticks now i just use 77 for both ice and roller i might wear my sticks down faster but it doesn't mess with my head just my opinion

85 flex everywhere now, but for a long time 95/100 on ice, 85 on roller. Lighter puck needs more shaft load. Especially on wrist shots.

i just got my buddys old tps whip flex r1 shaft that came out in like 2002 lol.. we will see how that goes... once i got used to the 75 flex for roller i was good though... ill probably stick to 75/77 for both ice and roller.. thanks guys

85 for ice and 75 for roller.

I need the stiffer stick on ice for receiving the heavier puck and little faster response on shots. Softer stick on roller for more loading on shots because the puck is much lighter.

so i tried the whip flex tps and that was a disaster.. a combination of the stick being the whippiest i have used/not used to it, and the stick being an old old 2 piece with a totally diff kick point that I am used to as well.. I ended up using my old ops made 2 piece 100 flex.,.. it was great for slappers but my wristers suffered a bit.

i guess i will have to use that until my new base 75 flex to come in.

yea the combination of new stick (reebok 6k), new flex (75), and new skates (mission t8) made my passing and shooting off. i need to get used to it. i figure a couple more skates. i came from easton ultra lite (100 flex) and old bauer pro comps.

yea the combination of new stick (reebok 6k), new flex (75), and new skates (mission t8) made my passing and shooting off. i need to get used to it. i figure a couple more skates. i came from easton ultra lite (100 flex) and old bauer pro comps.

it is amazing how much of a difference a slight change makes... i am coming off a 75 flex base with hossa pro stock.. so i was instinctively trying to shoot off the toe of my p88 and p92, instead of going heel/mid to toe... i remember when i had to readjust from originally shooting with a p88 to the hossa too! i know i can get used to the p88 again, which is ideal since it is a very good overall blade.. i loved my wristers with the hossa, but it lacked in backhanders (passing and shooting).