Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LickerLongTail

Titanium Bearing Question?

A TITANIUM BEARING WOULD STILL HAVE AN ABEC RATING. THE TITANIUM JUST REPRESENTS WHAT THE INNER BALLS AND RACE ARE MADE WITH OR COATED WITH. FOR EXAMPLE THERE ARE 3, 5, 7 AND 9 TITANIUM BEARINGS. MOST COMMON IN 5'S AND 7'S.

A TITANIUM BEARING WOULD STILL HAVE AN ABEC RATING. THE TITANIUM JUST REPRESENTS WHAT THE INNER BALLS AND RACE ARE MADE WITH OR COATED WITH. FOR EXAMPLE THERE ARE 3, 5, 7 AND 9 TITANIUM BEARINGS. MOST COMMON IN 5'S AND 7'S.

Titanium is a fashionable material these days....just not necessarily the best material for a bearing application. While it might help save a little weight...titanium rubbing on titanium is prone to "galling"..so if you ever get your bearings a little dry they will not last very long.

I had a set of titanium bearings that honestly lasted me from bantams till juniors. I did regularly service them though. I've heard them not last long at all, but that was from people who don't clean bearings.

We got one set of titanium bearings as a promo one time. I went through my standard procedure of cleaning out the oem lube and replacing it with the synthetic lube I used for these bearings..like I did for every set of bearings we ever used...almost. I could never get that set of Ti bearings to spin as freely as the Boss Swiss we always used ....probably the cage was too tight..have seen this with other bearings as well. The fact is that keeping them clean, will definitely give you some long life, but they are not a bearing which will stand up under neglect as well as a bearing made from hardened stainless.