Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AIREAYE

Banning "I Heart Boobies" bracelets?

http://www.vancouver...5450/story.html

So basically a school in Kelowna has banned these aforementioned bracelets (pictured below)

http://www.fightpink...rt-boobies.html

for being 'inappropriate'. I suppose with October being cancer awareness month or what have you; this article adds another perspective on what and how to show 'support'.

I've only ever seen these things get really popular this summer, and with many clothing retailers (ie. Boathouse) carrying them; I've been seeing more and more of them out there. However, most of the people wearing these are preteen and teenaged boys. Not to judge, but I've been wondering if they simply (being kids) like the bracelets because they're sexually suggestive or if they really have an attachment to the cause.

What do you guys think of this ban and about these bracelets in general?

It's a joke. I've heard of a few other high school banning them as well, and I think it's absolutely ridiculous. It's just a bunch of stiffs in the education system who obviously have no idea on what's going on in the real world. There is no real reason for them to be banned, as the money is donated to breast cancer (I don't know how much each braclet). Who cares if it's all preteen/teenage boys wearing them, the money they spent is going to cancer research. If these are going to be banned, then you might as well ban all the Livestrong stuff, and anything else that has to deal with donating to cancer.

The vast majority of people wearing them are doing it because of what they say and not what they support. The Komen foundation spends way too much time suing other charities. They have over 200 trademarks and have spent millions litigating against other charities for using words like "for a cure" or "for the cure" or even for using the color pink in their campaigns.

the money they spent is going to cancer research

Less money than you think

The vast majority of people wearing them are doing it because of what they say and not what they support.

Of course most people wear them because of what they say, it has to catch people's attention. Who do you think the target audience was when these braclets first came out? I understand what you're trying to say, but I also don't think anybody is 'against' breast cancer. Almost anybody who can support it will, as most people know somebody who has been diagnosed with cancer.

Of course most people wear them because of what they say, it has to catch people's attention. Who do you think the target audience was when these braclets first came out? I understand what you're trying to say, but I also don't think anybody is 'against' breast cancer. Almost anybody who can support it will, as most people know somebody who has been diagnosed with cancer.

So send money directly to a charity if you want to support something. A bracelet that has to be manufactured and shipped, that cuts down on how much of your donation gets to the charity. Then take out their 20%+ cut off the top and there isn't very much making to the researchers or the people that need it. I'm all for supporting charities, just not when it starts (and often ends with) buying something whose sole purpose is telling people that you support a charity.

It's a joke. I've heard of a few other high school banning them as well, and I think it's absolutely ridiculous. It's just a bunch of stiffs in the education system who obviously have no idea on what's going on in the real world. There is no real reason for them to be banned, as the money is donated to breast cancer (I don't know how much each braclet). Who cares if it's all preteen/teenage boys wearing them, the money they spent is going to cancer research. If these are going to be banned, then you might as well ban all the Livestrong stuff, and anything else that has to deal with donating to cancer.

The school board only banned them because they had "Boobies" on them; an inappropriate slang term. And it's true what Chadd says. A Livestrong bracelet for example costs a dollar and iirc the cost on those guys would probably be around $0.60 and if you take away production as well, you only end up with a few dimes (?) going to charity.

IMO there are two parts to charitable donations:

1) Actually supporting the cause

2) Looking good to others while doing it

How many times have you seen firms hold press conferences with huge cheques being handed out to charities? It's similar to that except on a smaller individual scale. People want to show others around them that they support so-and-so charity/cause and while that in itself isn't a bad thing; the real shame is that (like Chadd said) the 'image' that SOME people present is only that; an image.

The school board only banned them because they had "Boobies" on them; an inappropriate slang term. And it's true what Chadd says. A Livestrong bracelet for example costs a dollar and iirc the cost on those guys would probably be around $0.60 and if you take away production as well, you only end up with a few dimes (?) going to charity.

IMO there are two parts to charitable donations:

1) Actually supporting the cause

2) Looking good to others while doing it

How many times have you seen firms hold press conferences with huge cheques being handed out to charities? It's similar to that except on a smaller individual scale. People want to show others around them that they support so-and-so charity/cause and while that in itself isn't a bad thing; the real shame is that (like Chadd said) the 'image' that SOME people present is only that; an image.

Charities help with that, and push it. Anything that can get more money for the cause. . .

Look at the honor roll of donors, and the classifications: Platinum, Benefactor, etc. Rarely do the lists of names include "Anonymous".