Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
skyscrape

Bauer APX

Skate: Bauer Vapor APX 12D

Foot Type: I mainly wear Chuck Taylors so I would say narrow foot for the most part. A little wider in the forefoot but not drastically wider. I do run into depth problems in a lot of skates including all other Vapor Skates around the 5th eyelet from the top.

Ht./Wt.: 6'7 300 lbs.

Play Level: A level adult league. Play both D and Forward

Previous skates worn: 652 Tacks and Graf 703's as a bantam and Midget. These were size 10 and 10.5 NBH One95 12EE and Bauer X:60 11.5 EEboth

When I was 13 I was already 6' 195lbs so I needed a stiffer boot so I went to Grafs. My feet hurt pretty much all game, but it was better than the Tack fit was for me.

As far as new Tech skates go, the One95's were sold to me as my first skate back into the game. I had no idea how they were supposed to fit. So, when I put my foot in they felt so comfortable and much stiffer than anything I had ever skated or even tried on for that matter. My problem was the fit. I am not a 12EE so my foot slipped a lot and they felt like I was wearing boxes for skates. Then I went against wise advice I received here and bought the X:60's. I was willing to suffer a bit with the slight depth issues I had in the skates in order to get rid of all the negative space. What I did not realize was how much a flattened arch screws things up. I was completely compressing my arch in order to get my skates as tight as I needed. Again bad fit. Instead of explaining what happened in the buying process of the APX here, I will do it below.

Fit (9.5/10)

First off, I would only give a perfect score on these skates if they were custom. One foot is slightly shorter than the other. So I am guessing I would be a 11 3/4 and an 11.5 matchup. So a 12 is almost perfect on one foot and slightly long on the other.

Depth- I was informed by JR that the APX has more depth in areas than the traditionally lasted Vapor line and he is right. I pass the pencil test in these skates. Which allows almost NO space or shifting in the boot.

Width- My biggest problem in the oNE95 was that I was using innersoles and thick socks to take up negative space. This was a band aid not a fix. The width in the APX feels a little wider than the X:60 which allowed me to go with the D width APX. I have no and I repeat no movement inside the APX boot! I do not need any arch help from innersoles either.

Toe Cap- Seems like More room than the X60 as well. But much more streamlined than the one95 toe cap to me. This could be due to the comfort liner and ergo toe innersole.

Comfort- This is a huge part of the skate!!!!! It feels like a slipper! The innersole that comes with the skate has the ergotoe flaps that wrap up around the forefoot. This innersole alone makes this skate by far the most comfortable skate I have ever put on my feet. The rest of the boot design and liner makes it head and shoulders above the competition (in my opinion). Having the proper fit is very important, so my comment here is based off of the creature comforts alone. Only complaint is the tongue could be smoother on the inside up top. The tongue has rolled on the edges at the seams and I have to really think about the position of the tongue as I am lacing them up. If they could somehow put a felt like material all the way to the edges it would complete the quality of comfort experienced everywhere else in the boot.

Blade/Holder (9/10)

I love the Tuuk lightspeed 2 holders! I am still not sure how I feel about the Fusion steel. I like it enough to not switch out the steel until I need to, but will I spend the money when I have to(or better yet, is it important enough to spend the money over step steel), I am not sure yet.

Weight (10/10)

By far they feel like the lightest skate I have ever put on my feet. Again the fit may play a huge part in this, due to the fact that my One95' are light and the x60's were light as well.

Protection (10/10)

I have blocked shots and aside from one right on the knot of my laces that was slightly off center to the inside of my foot, none have hurt. That one didn't hurt per say, but it was like a throbbing dead foot! It was sore the next day, but considering it was a slap shot from closer than ten feet I would say pretty good protection.

Durability (9.5/10)

The paint, dye, or sublimation that they used for the red has scuffed off in spots. When I say scuffed I mean half inch scuffs. I am sure things might be different in a full contact league, but at the level I play I am going on 6 months I believe and they still shine under lights. Other than that no durability issues!

Not sure if this is really a durability comment but, I was one of the guys that would say buy Canadian made hockey equipment! My one95's were Canadian made. When I really started playing a lot something felt off. I looked at the skates and the holders were misaligned to the point where I could look down while on my feet and on one skate you could see the holder peeking out and on the other skate you could not. This is more than a 1/4 inch difference. Not too mention that the one that was moved back was also slightly angled like a snow plow. This was what put me on the warpath for new skates. My APX are not Canadian made and the quality control seems to be better as far as my experience goes. So do not write these off just because they are not made in Canada.

Performance (10/10)

I had no idea how much speed and agility I was missing out on by wearing skates that do not fit right! I realized this during the first shift in the APX!

Agility- Huge improvements due to the lateral stiffness of the boot! I used to flex the x60's laterally in crossovers which would affect my balance and power coming out of the crossovers. The best way I can explain this is that I thought I just had form issues. Instead it was more like a torquey car with bad tires. Yes I know I could have improved with what I had, but the point is these skates instantly fixed my issue. I can now power through turns and crossovers like never before(both forward and backward). These skates are ski boot stiff laterally but compared to my one95's they feel like they are easier to flex forward which surprised me. But then again it may be because the boot is so stiff I am skipping the top eyelet. I could not skip the top eyelet on my one95's due to causing slippage. I had guys asking me what I had done differently to improve so much and I have to say it is the skates.

Acceleration- Again guys were asking what I was doing differently. Explosive acceleration is the best term I can use when explaining how I feel in these skates. I believe this is due to the great forward flex I get out of these skates.

Overall Assessment (97%)

I have to say I will not change skates. In fact next season I may get a pair of customs or a replacement pair in the same size, that way when these wear out I will not have to consider any other skate.

BOTTOM LINE- If they fit you and you have the money, you will not be sorry!

I hope this helps.

Skate:Bauer Vapor APX 8.5D

Foot: guess my foot is pretty average. In vapors I feet very comftorably width wise and volume wise

Height and Weight: 5'11 160lbs

Level of Play: Varsity and 16u aa

Previous Pair of Skates:Vapor X60

Fit: Fit is something thats very hard to review since it will vary from person to person as no two feet are the same. So I do advise you try these on as with any skate. I fit very well in the X60 the only spot I didn't really fit perfectly was the volume I just barley failed the pencil test in those but I didn't experience any sort of pain as a result. Instead in the APX I pass the pencil test, not really something signifigant for me seeing as I had no substantail problem but perhaps something to consider for those coming from previous Vapor skates. Overall the skates fit me very well and are extremely comfortable, If you fit well in previous vapors I'd imagine these are very likely to fit you.

(9.5/10

Holder/Runner: I'm very used to the Lightspeed 2 holder so I enjoyed it as many people do and didn't adjust the pitch at all. One of the big selling points on this skate though are the lightspeed fusion runners. At first I thought I'd notice a difference, but once I actually skated in them I was blown away. It seems like a negligible amount of weight reduction but what many will fail to realize is that the farther away from the core, the more the difference is noticed. Seeing as these are at the bottom of your feet the difference is outstanding. Coming from my X60's I loved the weight reduction, I noticed that I seemed to feel a little less fatigued at the end of a shift. From a sharpening aspect is seems to hold an edge just the same as ls2 did so pretty good I get around 2 weeks inbetween sharpenings which for the amount of time I play, I feel it's pretty impressive.

(10/10)

Boot: The boot features Bauer's Curv composite which is a change from the Vapor line's traditional construction. This is a change that I love. The skates are stiff while, but not too stiff. I'm able to get a nice amount of forward flex while still getting great lateral support. As a result of the Curv composite these boots are very light which as with the steel is very nice.

(10/10

Liner: The liner is still composed of two different materials. On the top is a clarino material that is meant to be durable. What I like about this choice over what was used in the x60's is that while it durable, It is still comfortable. The top of the X60's liner was rougher and would occasionaly rub against my ankle. This is something I don't notice in the APX. The bottom part of the liner is a hydrophobic material which is much softer and very comfortable. I hang my skates upside down and the Liner dries very quickly so no complaints in that regard.

(9.5)

Footbed: Normally I probably wouldn't talk about the footbed but because it has a new feature to it I thought I'd address it. At the end of the toe there are wings that fold up and hug the toebox. While this is something extremely simple it is incredible and I'm astounded no other company has thought to incorporate this in their skates. Normally the transition from the Liner of the skate to the plastic of the toebox can be a little bit uncomfortable but with this new feature it is a seamless and very comortable transition.

(10/10)

Weight: As I've said due to the Fusion runners and the Curv boot the skate is very light and it is without a doubt the lightest skate I've ever worn. I'm very impressed with the weight of these.

(10/10)

Toungue: I like what Bauer did with the toungue on the APX. It features an external lace bite bar so as to prevent the laces from digging into it, which in past skates could cause breakdown and possibly lead to lace bite. The toungue has showed no sign of breaking down.

(10/10)

Durability/Protection: I've skated in these skates alot. sometimes 10 times a week. Aside from some stiching coming undone around the tendon guard and cosmetic wear the skates have held up pretty well. Protection is nice as well, I've blocked some pretty hard shots only felt a slight sting.

(9/10)

Conclusion: The Bauer APX is a nice but expensive skate. If you play at a highlevel and/or have the money I definantly recommend. If it fits you, you will not be dissapointed one bit.

(9.5/10)

BAUER APX SKATES

Model Specification

• Previous Models: CCM Tacks, Vapor XX, Vapor XXX, Vapor XXXX, Vapor x:60
  • Size: 9D
  • Use: 1 year

Fit

The APX skates to me felt like slippers the first time I slipped them on my feet; baking them only increased the comfort level. The toe box has a bit more room depth-wise, but this did not have an negative impact. Coming from the Vapor line, there is the slightest bit more volume in some areas, but IMO the transition was unnoticeable as far as fit was concerned. As you have heard many times before, if you fit well into the Supreme line and find them comfortable, odds are you will not have an optimal fit into the APX.

9.5/10

Blade/Holder

The Tuuk LS2 holders are very nice, but the steel took a little getting used too. Nothing drastic, more of a subtle difference, but got used to the feel after a few games or so. The angle of the skate is something you should be prepared for if coming from another manufacturer. Some people complain that they feel like they are leaning too far forward, but this is more a personal preference. When I switched from the more level CCM Tacks back in the day, the Vapors definitely felt strange, but once I was acclimated to the forward pitch, I was noticeable in my drive and acceleration.

8/10

Weight/Protection

The skates are extremely light, which coming from the Vapor series, I had grown accustomed to. Again, they feel like slippers on your feet and do not impact the distribution of power in your strides. They are very lightweight skate and the protection they provide was not sacrificed. I have blocked many shots and have been hit in various areas of the boot and no real pain. The one area that does hurt is getting hit right in the tongue, just below the shin guards, but that is an area that is always vulnerable.

9/10

Durability

I have been using these skates for a year and they have held up very well. Other than the normal nicks in the holders and scrapes along the boot, the structural integrity has been superb. It is important to not have a skate start breaking down after a short time of use and the APX skates will not disappoint you.

9/10

Conclusion

Overall the APX skate is a fantastic skate, I recommend them to anyone in the market for new skates, but I would definitely try them on first. Everyone’s feet are different so it is important to try on a skate before making your decision. One con is that, like all top-end skates, they are extremely expensive. But if you are willing to shell out the money and the skates fit you well, then I would highly recommend the APX skate; it’s a top-end for a reason!

9.5/10

player reference: 6'0 / 165lbs / A League (3x/week)

Skate: Bauer Vapor APX 10.5EE

Ht./Wt.: 6'1 230 lbs.

Play Level: A level adult rec league - D.

Previous skates worn: Graf G7, 705. Reebok 9k, 11K. Bauer Vapor X, XX, XXX. Bauer Supreme 8090, One90.

I have over the years happily interchanged between Reebok and Bauer skates, I am in the fortunate position where my foot shape is comfortable in both. My Reebok 11K had eventually broken down, and as much as I liked those skates, I felt it was time to return to Bauer. I have been skating in the APX skates November 2011.

Fit (9.5/10)

In Supremes I always wear a 10.5D, but due to the difference in last, I ended up with a EE width. My forefoot and heel fit perfectly from the offset. Once these skates were baked, the fit improved massively.

In all my skates I miss the top eyelet in order to improve forward flexion. I feel that I can get quicker starts and corner better when I do this. However, whenever I did this wearing the APX, I would end up with cuts on my ankles, so I really appreciate the total comfort strips being included on these skates. I have since started lacing all the way up to the top eyelet to avoid these cuts.

Blade/Holder (9/10)

I loved the blade on my Reebok 11k’s, I loved how stiff they were. The Tuuk lightspeed 2 holders took a few skates to adjust as they are longer than the Epro holder, but now I feel that I am benefitting in terms of top end speed.

One of the reasons I liked the Epro was because of the flatter profile which would allow me to control the puck off my skates when required. My prior thought that this would be affected by the more rounded TUUK holder has proved unfounded.

I cannot say that I have found any significant enhancements as a direct result of the fusion steel, my edges hold out for roughly the same period of usage. If they weren’t already packaged with the skate, I wouldn’t necessarily rush out to buy them separately.

Weight (10/10)

The lightest skate I have ever put on my feet. I do not feel that any sacrifice has been made in protection to achieve this.

Protection (10/10)

As stated above, no protection has been sacrificed in order to achieve the outstanding weight of this skate, in fact I think it has improved.

I have taken shots off all angles of the skate, and have yet had to miss a shift as a result.

I have had no lace bite issues thanks to the fit and design of the tongue.

Durability (9.5/10)

There has been no structural damage to the skate. Any blow or contact to the skate does cause the design or colouring on the forefoot to smudge, just a minor quibble.

Performance (10/10)

Maneuverability, speed and acceleration have all improved. There is a definite pop to the end of my strides, and I feel that the reduced weight has contributed to improvements in acceleration and maneuverability.

Overall (97%)

I am extremely happy to have changed from Reebok back to Bauer. The combination of fit and performance is incredible. I worry how hard Bauer will have to work in order to top this skate.

Edited by steve66

Skate:Bauer Vapor APX 9.5D 10D, I like my skates very tight,

Shoe Size: 12D

Foot: I have weird type of foot. My foot is wider toward the front and narrow at the heel and ankle. It also gets wide toward the arch

Height and Weight: 6'3 225lb

Level of Play: B/C level player, high school and juniors experience

Previous Pair of Skates: Bauer one95s, CCM 552 & 652 tacks, Bauer X:60s, CCM U+ reloaded, Reebok 9k & 11ks

Fit: The fit for me was better in the 9.5 than the 10 as in terms of sizing.I like a tighter fitting skate. The volume in the skate I felt wasn't deep enough. I had some issues with lace bite and wasn't a big fan of the tongues. I usually replace the tongues in my skates with classic supreme felt tongues. I also had some issues with heel slip. The skate felt a little wider toward the aft of the skate and narrower towards the front.

(7/10)

Holder/Runner: I tend to use the LS2 holder on most of the skates I use. I like the repsonse and feel I get from the ls2. I was a big fan of the tuuk custom+ holder so using the LS2 is an added benefit. I didn't like the fusion runner very much. I felt that the runner would bend and warp under tight and aggressive turns. I use a radius of 40/60 and 25/45 on two different sets of steel.

Holder (10/10)

Runner (5/10)

Durability/Protection: I usually try to skate 3 times a week 2 hours each time adding in 2 games a week. I felt that the skate was much stiffer than other skates on the market. I tend to be a powerful skater so something that won't buckle under pressure I enjoy. I have had skates last me years and some some skates only last me 2 - 3 months. I did have the carbon of the boot start to cut and because less stiff over time.

(8/10)
Conclusion: The Bauer APX is a great skate in the vapor line. With the APX2 skate coming out shortly the original APX is a fantastic platform to start from. I used the APX skate for about 6 months before passing them on.

(8/10)

BAUER APX SKATES

Player: 5'7 155lbs player and coach. On ice about 7-8 hrs a weeks

Previous Models: Vapor XXXX, reebok11k tuuk runners

Size: 7D

Use: 3 months

Foot type: flat footed no arch.

Fitment:

The APX skates I thought were going to be narrower than my old vapors from what I read. Actually it felt a tad narrow in the heel but it really locked my heel in place nicely. Got them baked and punched in places due to being flat footed felt gret ever since.

10/10

Blade/Runners:

Tuuk LS2 holders are my favorite. I had my reeboks with them. This time I replaced the steel with step steel just to see what the hype was all about and it was a great replacement, even though the tuuk runners are great as well. Deffinetly no issue with them.

10/10

Weight/Protection:

These skates are extremely stiff and light. Never felt anything like them. Keeps my foot really locked in place. Don't really have to worry about pucks unless you get one in the tongue area.

9/10

Durability:

I haven't had them for long but I can assure they will last a long time. So strong.

9/10

Conclusion:

Love the skate. If your looking for a great strong skate and worry about skates breaking down don't really need to worry with these.

Feel great. Fit perfect after baking them. Feels like a feather in your feet.

Maybe a tad expensive but what can you say it's the top of the line skate. Worth it.

I'm very pleased.

9/10