Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EBondo

MacBook Backlight Issue

I've had my Macbook for about four years now and for about the last week or so have been having issues with the display screen. It seems like the backlight on the screen has died or cables have come loose or something, but depending on how bright the screen is and how far back the screen is tilted, the screen will just die. You can still see what's happening on the screen from ambient light, but as far as the backlight is concerned, it decides when and if it feels like working (display has flickered on and off just typing this out). My AppleCare is past the three years so that's not going to help me either... Has anyone had this problem with a 13" MacBook? Is it a cheap fix or am I pretty much screwed? Because I know how much Apple likes to charge out the ass for repairs.

Here's a video of it happening too.

Tried it just niw, doesnt seem to work any differently, hmmm.

And now it seems to be stuck on the Apple logo screen as well.

You may be able to buy a CCF if you can determine the part # of your display, or you could search ebay for a replacement display panel. Since your display does actually work (and just lacks a working backlight), you're in okay shape.

in a lot of cases you can just buy the exact same laptop off of ebay for less than what it would cost to buy just the replacement screen - then just swap the hard drive into it and you are done.

in a lot of cases you can just buy the exact same laptop off of ebay for less than what it would cost to buy just the replacement screen - then just swap the hard drive into it and you are done.

True, especially for a laptop that old. Then again, a 4 year old Macbook still has some value, unlike some other manufacturers...

Yeah Ido realize that but preferably I'd like to steer away from buying a new laptop.

now I reset the PRAM like JR said and it didnt seem to help, but i turned it off, let it sit for a while and tried again when I got home from work. i turned it on and went for a walk with the dog.

the display is lit but now Im stuck on the Apple logo screen with the spinning thing on the bottom. It sounds like it's trying to load butnothing is happening. any ideas?

EDIT - Okay, I was able to turn it off and boot into safe mode, and was able to turn it on again with no problems. Hopefully this helps for now! Thanks JR!