Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

damille2Hockey

Skate profile for Defense

Hi I just bought new Bauer TotalOne skates and I had them checked out by my local hockey store, they

said the skates need to be profiled. They are for a Defenseman 6' 1" 220 lbs I was thinking of an 11' radius but I am concerned that is too flat. What about a 9.5/11 ft is that a good compromise ?

Well, stock TotalOnes come with a 9' factory radius and the boot structure doesn't result in any particular aggressive lean out of production' more 'neutral'. Profiling can allow you to change how aggressive (forward leaning) your stance is by moving the apex of the profile up and down the steel. A more aggressive lean would put the apex further towards the front and vice-versa. Profiling them to a numerical radius (9',10',11' etc.) changes the amount of blade on the ice, which increases as you go up.

As a defenseman myself, I would look for a slight forward lean onot the balls of my feet to account for the need to spring for loose pucks down low, emerge from scrums along the boards to start the breakout and to keep a shifty forward to the outside. This is what's also frequently recommended for our position from what I've read. I might also want to experiment with a lower radius to allow for quicker pivoting and backwards crossovers.

That said, it really does depend on the skater and their tendencies/preferences. Most people do not profile their skates and are fine in whatever's stock. Maybe you would like to skate with your T1s for a bit to get a feel of what you might want to change. I'm sure others will give you more informed insight but that's a very basic overview right here.

Hi I took them in to my local skate shop and they put a 10' radius checker on it and it was touching at 2 points and dipped in the middle so it looks like they will have to be done regardless. Maybe I will start with an 10' and go from there.

I think the real question is; what was the skater using for a radius on his/her previous skates and how did that feel? That will probably give you the best indication of where to go with the radius on the new skates.

Hi I am not sure what you mean, what I was trying to say is the profile from the factory is messed up not sure what it is. What is the best profile / radius for a Defense 6' 1" 220 lbs, should I start with a 10' or 11' radius or is it better to do a split radius ?

That could be that you profile for the skater but I would like a starting point as the profile is messed up so what is best as a starting point ?

The profile isn't messed up. While factory radii aren't always spot-on, your guy didn't even put the right radius bar on the blade as Bauer's steel is 9', not 10'.

A good starting point would be whatever the skater had for a radius on their previous pair of skates. Every skater is different.

As for the steel, the radius straight from the factory is seldom dead on and that even if you want to go with the 9' radius that a Bauer is supposed to come with that you are better off getting the new skates profiled to a 9' so that both skates are matched to each other.

Do it, try a bunch of different settings. If you find something you like, great! At which point you will need a new set of steel, and you can set them up as you need to. No one person on here, no matter how experienced we are, can tell you what you should get, since we aren't seeing you skate. Try it...

Just had my 705's switched up for Ls2's and loving it. Didn't feel as much of an enormous difference in forward lean as everyone said I would, Maybe because my Graf's had the shitty cobra 2000 on them, not the 3 or the 5, but a lot of the lean is in the boot.

Anyhow, I'm 6'4" and about 200lbs, and love the stock profile, hollow at 7/16th.

I know it probably goes against the point of this site in a way, but see how you get on with the stock profile and actually skate on it; before you start changing it based on what some guy in a store told you...

Last time I did that, some guy did a "d-Man grind" (half inch) on my blades and I fell on my face/ass so many times, horrible.

I think the real question is; what was the skater using for a radius on his/her previous skates and how did that feel? That will probably give you the best indication of where to go with the radius on the new skates.

Do it, try a bunch of different settings. If you find something you like, great! At which point you will need a new set of steel, and you can set them up as you need to. No one person on here, no matter how experienced we are, can tell you what you should get, since we aren't seeing you skate. Try it...

+1 for both. being a defenseman doesn't mean you have to get a longer radius. I'm not sure PK would be able to do what he does with a 11' blade, and I doubt chara has a 7' radius either.

You can tell us what you feel is wrong (too wobbly, not reactive enough, I feel like I'm too much on my heels, too much bite etc etc), and/or post a youtube video of you skating. There are no rules with sharpening, it's like a contour vs 4-roll gloves, heel vs toe curves, list goes on and on, fact of the matter is, it's all about what you're more comfortable with.