Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Netminder32

Old goalie, vintage stick, POLL... should I use it?

Brian's vintage possibly prototype "Curtis Curve" goalie stick.  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sooo... haven't been on here in a while, but I'm still around and have a dilemma that only another hockey minded 'tender could appreciate. First a little background. Prior to starting this season my plan was to order a pair of new Boa "Curtis Curve" goalie sticks to use this year. They now offer a natural finish and are quite spectacular. But funds will be tight in the very near future and my playing days may be quite numbered. Prior to this season I was diagnosed with colon cancer and will be starting chemo and radiation therapy in the next few days. I'm planning on playing right though my treatment, right up to the surgery which should be late January. My current Christian Cutis Curve is essentially all used up and my remaining Eagle Curtis Curve is looking like kindling. Which brings me to my dilemma...

I have a pristine Brian's Curtis Curve which I believe was a factory prototype that was given to me as a gift by our local Perani's Hockey World store owner. He had received a variety of wierd prototype sticks mixed in with a batch of pro return sticks that he bought. It sat in the store room for a few years until the one day he found out I used CC sticks and presented it to me. It is all natural finish and the only markings on it are the Brian's logo in black on either side of the paddle. No lettering outline, now words on the shaft, nothing like it's retail counter parts. It's truly beautiful and one of a kind, though not likely appreciated similarly by anyone other than myself. My plan had always been just to simply preserve it as a piece of goaltending and Brian's Mfg. history. Now in need of a stick and with my future playing days numbered, I'm considering using it... what would you do? what would you recommend? Looking for advice from my fellow puck targets here... :wink: Help!

I'm not a goalie but I voted "It's a piece of goalie history... preserve it!"

If it's been in storage for a long time it might be too brittle to last anyway. In the worst case scenario, it cracks a few games into your season and you're paying for new oars anyway

Here's hoping you come out of the radiation therapy with good news.

Actually there are two small companies in Minnesota still making Curtis Curve sticks. Boa hockey and Eleven hockey. I'm thinking of picking up a couple of Eleven sticks to try out for the Winter season.

And.. updates: I decided to live on the edge and use it! Figured I didn't know if I'd ever play again and it was just too tempting... Sadly it met it's demise. Took a shot off the top of the handle and blew the upper curve right off. :( It did last for a lot of games prior to that though.

Now the good news. Went into the local Perani's just to pick up a regular stick to use until I order the Eleven's... and they found another Brian's prototype Curtis Curve in the back. Guess what I'm using now. :smile:

As for the cancer. Had the surgery, did the recovery. Everything went way better than anticipated. I actually lived!!! Back playing regularly now. Still have the souvenir scar... Thanks for the well wishes!!!

Just a thought. Is there any money value that you can get from the stick. If funds are tight and you don't we.t to use it then I would see how much you can get for it. That is unless you have sentimental value.

Edit: I'm seeing this is old. Sorry for the late comment. I'm very glad everyhing is going well.