Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadioGaGa

Montreal Canadiens 20xx-2013 Season

Better slump now and regain momentum in last few reg. games.

Did they clinch too soon?

That was my concern....I had originally said that Price should play 6 of the remaining (at the time) 8. With his recent strugles...maybe a couple extra days off and a chance to clear his head and refocus is a good idea...it's not like Budaj has been bad, 7-1-1, in a short season, from your back up is pretty decent.

IMO, very smart move from Therrien to send Budaj out tonight against Pittsburgh, who even with injuries, are still rolling on all cylinders. Last thing you want is another blow out with Price being part of it. Budaj has played well and deserves a start anyways and with Price's last two games, it was easy to justify sitting Price for tonight's game. Hell, if Budaj plays well and the Habs win tonight I'd give Budaj the next start as well just to rest Price a bit more.

Habs Jerseys off our Backs presenation:

http://video.canadiens.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=66&id=241175&cmpid=embed-share-video

I noticed many of the players took off their jersey, signed it for the person who had won it, maybe a picture...then skated away, which is all they are really obligated to do (especially after a 5-1 loss). Watch Gorges, and Gionta...they make their way down the row and shake hands with everyone, before stopping for a couple autographs and the camera moves on. I definitely hope Gorges is the next Captain of this team!!!

I like Georges a lot. He's a well spoken, no bullshit guy. Would be my pick as the next captain as well. Heard the Habs recalled 8 players from Hamilton. Wondering if they are going to sit a few players for them to rest/heal before the playoffs and just not worry about where they'll end up in the standings.

Indeed. I think that the line up for tonight's game is an indication that they will try to push for second place. Price is starting tonight and the only other change is Armstrong in and Moen out.

The 8 from Hamilton are "Black Aces"...extra guys for practice...barring injury (or really, really horrible play by someone) none of them will see the ice after Saturday. Maybe a game for Tinordi or Beaulieu before the end the season...but, as you say...2nd is not out fo the question...gotta push for it.

I'm tired of reading post game reports of a loss with "things to build on" .

C'mon boys...turn this ship around. Getting beaten by the Leafs in Rnd 1 is NOT an option!!!!!!

It seems both the Habs and Bruins don't want to finish second. Boston's in first place because they have one more game to play otherwise the Habs would be first in the division. Montreal needs to win tomorrow against Winnipeg and more importantly against Toronto who they will likely face in the first round.

A few shakey moments in that Winnipeg game, but they ended strong. Well, teh goals weren't great, but the pressure was. Hopefully, this is finally the corner turned. If my math is right...I think if they beat Toronto and Boston loses 2 (or gains a single point in a loss) they'll finish 2nd...but 2 points by Boston and the match ups are set.

He's still a little timid at times. But 7 hits and an assist is a pretty good game for a 21 yr old D man in that role. I think he'll be even more comfortable on Saturday...he's used to playing the Marlies :wink:

Dollars to donuts some scuffle started with the kid and some other guy over a girl and the dad probably got pulled into it. Then the other combatant realized the kid had a potential future in the NHL and made a phone call.

Well that was a disappointing way for the season to end after they had played so well for so long. But, I don't think they need to make many changes to have the same sort of success next year. Losing Emelin really hurt them. Everyone who played them late in the year lost the fear of going to the net. He makes people play the game differently than they want to because he is such a physical force.

Next year: As I see it, I'd like to see Ryder go, along with Nokalainen, Dreweskie and Halpern. Hopefully Kaberle is the second Buy Out. I'd like to see Armstrong back for a contract similar to this year. He was hurt and never really had a fair chance at making an impact, but I think he can play a role. A healthy Bourque showed he can still play, and can take Ryder's spot as a scorer who adds some toughness.That leaves them right around 5- 6 Mil under the Cap (if my math and Capgeek.com are right) to add some depth and grit, and maybe keep something set aside so if there are injuries or they need to add at the deadline, they have room. They also have a TON of Draft Picks this year...so who knows if a combination of players and picks could come into play to bring in a big name, Top 6 Forward.

Dumont & White are RFA. I can see them back. Blunden is a little older, I could see them letting him go. I think White had a rough year...I honestly didn't think he'd see the ice after his late season suspension ended, but even after all he went through, MT still put him out in some big situations and if he learns to play on the edge without going over he's a guy that can be a useful player.

Pacioretty / Desharnais / Gallagher

Gionta / Plekanec / Bourque

Prust / Eller / Galchenyuk

Armstrong / Moen / FA

FA / Dumont / White / Leblanc

I don't think "skill players" are the problem. All 3 Top lines can score. You've got the potential of 2 25-30 goal scorers (Pax, Gallagher) and another 4-6 who could get 15-20+ (Pleky, Gio, Eller, Chucky, Bourque, Desharnais). Whatever the others score is like found money.

I wonder if the shine is off Leblanc a little...he was hot and cold (with way too much cold) in Hamilton this year. But I think come Camp, he will get a look along with Danny Kristo and Michel Bournival. Bournival was streaky, but showed some offensive flash, but maybe not the grit needed to be a regular NHLer. Kristo really didn't appear ready for the NHL coming out of NCAA either. We'll have to see what their off season training brings.

On D...they really don't have to change a thing. Weber is an RFA, but I see them letting him go. Maybe add a vet to give the kids a run for their money in Camp...but I think Jared Tinordi has already won his spot for next year.

Markov / Emelin

Gorges / PK

Bouillion / Diaz

FA / Tinordi

Beaulieu / Pateryn

Really...who wouldn't want that Top 4 if they are all healthy?? It rivals just about anyone in the League, IMO. Good mix of O and D!

Price and Budaj

They are set in Goal. Mayer is leaving for Europe next year. Tokarski is likely to be the starter in Hamilton. Whether or not they think Peter Delmas is ready to be an AHL regular remains to be seen. Maybe bring in a veteran to play along with Tokarski in Hamilton and help bring him along.

Just my .02...well now that pennies are gone in Canada, I guess that makes it my .05!

Three UFA players I would love to see the Habs go after would be Valtteri Filppula, Ryan Clowe, and Pierre-Marc Bouchard. I would love to see Pierre-Marc Bouchard on a wing with Galchenyuk. Get rid of Gionta and Desharnais. Hard to do, but I think we could do it. Make Pleks or Prust captain. You are taking out a French-Canadian player and adding another, so great on that front and Filppula & Clowe would add that playoff grit we need. Just some ideas to throw around.

I really don't think bouchard is a good fit in montreal. The guy is 30 years old and has had a slew of injuries the last few years. Signing him would take a spot away from a kid on the farm such as leblanc who was their first rounder in 09 or collberg. I don't think bouchard would help in the rebuilding process.

Let the kids play and stick to the process in my opinion.

Maybe, so. I doubt Leblanc will be able to make this squad next year with the young talent already there. They need some more veteran presence if they are going to do anything in the playoffs. Plus, I would rather see Danny Kristo than Leblanc. He looked really solid with Team USA in the WHC and hasn't really had a chance at the highest level. I don't know how they are going to address the size issue. But, they will have to.

Desharnais is not going anywhere...MB just resigned him.

I could see Prust with an 'A' next year, if they do a rotating thing..hard to take A's away from either Gorges or Markov...Pleky has been the additional "A" in injury situations in the past...Can't see Prust as 'C'. Some teams do Home/Road A's. Gionta as Captain with Gorges & Pleky at home. Markov and Prust on the road would be fine with me...A couple years ago I would have been all over the idea of Pleky as Captain...but now...on that team...if anything happens to Gionta, Gorges is the heir apparent, IMO.

Yea, Prust deserves a 'A' not question for his performance. I know MB just signed Desharnais, but his weaknesses were really exposed in that series and did little to solidify his position as the #2 centre. Plus, it isn't a crazy contract to move. Get some draft pics for him and put Galchenyuk as the permanent second line centre.