Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

CCM RBZ Skate Initial Thoughts

I might be buying these skates. I'm coming off of Vapor XXXX (7 years old). How does the boot angle differ from the RBZ? I know the XXXX was known for having a really aggressive skating stance. Do you feel more on the heels with these?

I am looking for some advice, been trying to break in these skates for about 6 weeks now. I've been on the ice with them 4x and they have been baked 2x. RBZ are replacements for my old custom Graf 703, which were the best skates I've had and I've had them since 1999. However they were getting too soft, they were flexing too much. Skates I've tried, APX2 & Total one NXG - not enough volume and hot spots, Mako - they just didn't feel right, 20K - bulky and heavy, Graf G75 & Nexus 1000 - heel was slipping.

my shoe size is 8 and I wear anything between 5.5 to 6. I have an extremely wide for and mid foot, however my ankles are average to narrow. I am in between sizes when it comes to skate, hence the previous custom 703. Customs now are not an option plus I got a really sweet deal on the RBZ, I got them in size 5.5 EE, tried the size 5 did not fit, also tried the 5.5 D, they did not fit also, due to bad lace bite, pinching on the underside, outside and also under the arch. I wear superfeet yellow with them and I do not wear socks with my skates.

Initial fit, the skate felt good and was the right length and width. After first bake, it felt even better, they were extremely stiff. They were better with the top eyelid undone. Here's my problem, right underneath my ankle bone on both sides, I felt a bit of negative space and when I was on the ice for the first time making some hard turns, it felt like my foot was flipping over inside the skates before the skates were. it made it hard to turn and crossover. It even didn't feel right on hard push offs. I went and got them baked a second time, by someone who's been doing skate fitting for over 20 years. This time he lace them up way tighter after the bake and hand pressed in the ankle and heel area where I was feeling the negative space. When I was on the ice after the second bake, the skates did felt better, however I still feel my foot flipping and I also feel my forefoot lifting a bit from the skate, weird since I've never experienced this before. I tried not to do up the skates extremely tight, I tried that and if I do, I get wicked lace bite.

Anyone know anyway to fix or resolve this? Any advice would help and greatly appreciated.

With the way skates stretch with baking you may be good with a d width. Ccm used to and I think still does give a demo pair for stores to use or tells them to let them bake before a customer has to buy. I know this isn't the best advice but it may be the truth.

With the way skates stretch with baking you may be good with a d width. Ccm used to and I think still does give a demo pair for stores to use or tells them to let them bake before a customer has to buy. I know this isn't the best advice but it may be the truth.

CCM's do have demo pairs. my LHC has a bunch of demo pairs on display ready to go.

http://www.rbzfreakishlyfit.com/

The stores are listed with the ones that have demos.

Can anyone comment on sizing from last years model to this years in length. I have U+12's right now and looking to get RBZ's but according to Hockey monkeys web description it states you should get 2 sizes smaller than your shoe. I wear a size 11D U+12 now. Didnt know if i should go with an 11 or 10.5 in the RBZ skates. Any help is much appreciated!

Can anyone comment on sizing from last years model to this years in length. I have U+12's right now and looking to get RBZ's but according to Hockey monkeys web description it states you should get 2 sizes smaller than your shoe. I wear a size 11D U+12 now. Didnt know if i should go with an 11 or 10.5 in the RBZ skates. Any help is much appreciated!

my toe would graze my u+10s and they would press a little more on the CL's (both size 7d). I demo'd a pair of RBZ in 6.5D and they were perfect.

What is the profile of the new steel? Still 10' standard?

I didn't even measure it when I put the radius on, but I'll verify in store.

I was searching the net for an answer to this, finally contacted CCM customer service - I was told the Speedblade runners have a 10 ft. working radius. To whom it may concern..

Compared to NXG's the depth is a slight more on the RBZ's.

Have had my RBZ's just under 6 months, switched my holders to LS2's about 2 months ago and noticed outsole and toe cap separation. It is now getting worse. And for the record I take very good care of my gear. My skates especially. Which is leaving me dissapointed even though this is definitely the best skate CCM has ever produced. Take that as you will as I am basing that statement on only ever owning the RBZ's but working in a shop over the last decade. But Anywho I digress ........

Was wondering if anyone else is having similar issues?

No physical separation, but some tearing and I would think that if I treated my gear poorly, skated much more often and was much more heavier, it might become an issue. So far so good, only slight cosmetic issues.

Stitching hasn't been the greatest, as my left tendon guard is losing some and starting to delaminate a bit. The stitching above the middle few eyelets on the right side of my right skate is gone too. Again, not catastrophic, but deserving of careful monitoring.

Thought they were holding but alas i was mistaken. I had to super/crazy glue and then JB Weld my toe caps to my outsole and a little bit of my outsole to my quater package near the balls of my feet. This does not bode well for my hopes of future CCM skate durability, in particular the new Tacks.

Hi guys,

Really pleased I found this thread, I have a pair of RBZ pro's, generally used 2-3 times a week and I've noticed delamination arounnd the tendon gaurd due to the stiching coming loose. They are going back to the shop for assessment next week but going on some of the problems you guys are having it doesnt look promising.

Im just hoping they go for a repair rather than replace since these were by far the worst skates I've ever had to break in - lovely now, but its taken a good month and a half!

Regards

Pete

Hey JR, I know in the past you put heel wedges on your skates to get a forward lean, im assuming puts you on your toes enough. Im coming from Totalones with a 1/8 wedge. Im going to be putting RBZ on LS2 holders, think I should still go with the 1/8? Thanks in advance

Hi JR,

I had a bit of a closer look on the boot and theres actually stitching issues on both tendon guards and around both toe boxes. The skates are getting picked up on Thursday to go back to the UK distributor for repair. Your right with the easy fix part, I probably could of implemented a home repair but at the moment they are still well within warrenty (2 months old) and I kind of begrudge home-repairing skates that cost over $700.

Apparently, as CCM dont use glue between the layers, any damage to the stiching results in a separation of the layers. I guess if it happens again and they are out of warrenty, I'll break out the super glue ;)

Hey JR, I know in the past you put heel wedges on your skates to get a forward lean, im assuming puts you on your toes enough. Im coming from Totalones with a 1/8 wedge. Im going to be putting RBZ on LS2 holders, think I should still go with the 1/8? Thanks in advance

I think you need to skate on them first. What works on one skate doesn't work on the other.

I've had a pair of RBZs for about 2 months now. Switching from Bauer TotalOnes to these here are the observations i've had.

My bauer size is 9.5 and i'm an 8.5 in CCMs now. 11.5 US Sneaker size. I'm 6'2" 240 so i prefer a "pro-stiff" skate boot.

Break in period was slower than Bauer skates. I have baked them a total of 3 times. My first impression was not good. They felt "wobbly" for some reason. I had wicked lace bite with the tongue "flopped". The top 2 eyelets "frayed" slightly. I havent got it fixed yet as it has not effected the laces at all but i have read this is a common thing. I was fairly close to returning them as the holder/blade combo felt so different from the Tuuks and some of the other previously stated issues. I think part of this negative initial impression was the fact that i've been slightly spoiled but the out-of-the-box that Bauer has perfected over the last 10 years.

What i can say is now that they are broken in I still get lace bite if i try to flop the tongues so i've gone back to just tucking them. It's not all bad though. Now that i am used to them i can definitely say i'm feeling much quicker and more agile. They are very comfortable and they have made good on the promises of the skate. The reasons i converted from Bauer have been realized and i'm totally in love with these. The steel on the blades is pretty amazing, it's not just a marketing ploy, they keep an edge longer and you get that sensation of a "polished" blade right after they have been sharpened. You can feel it when you are stopping, you dont get that sticky blade sensation they slide well but still hold on tight turns.

Challenges aside, i'm very happy i went with the RBZs. They have definitely helped my game and would recomend them to anyone. They just require some patience in my opinion.