Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sko0terMan

New goalie, help please

Hey guys whats up, ive posted some stuff on here and the community has been pretty helpful. Now my problem is that im switching from skating out to playing in net and dont know what pads i should use. The pads that i have available are a set of Vaughn V4 pro stock leg pads, Vaughn V7000 glove, and Vaughn V7600 Blocker. Or i have a set of Reebok Revoke pro leg pads, Reebok Revoke pro glove, and Reebok pro blocker. Now as far as the chest protectors I have either a Bauer X50 or a Reebok xpulse 6.0. I would appreciate any advice.

vaughn_zpsec97edd7.jpgreebok_zps3cde6b65.jpg

bauerchest_zpsd3c1026c.jpg

reebokchest_zps38944228.jpg

You're probably not going to get a lot of replies to this simply because all goalies have different preferences. Which is why there are so many choices out there... You simply need to dive in and find out what works for "you".

That having been said... Vaughn is always the right answer. :) (ok, it's just my personal preference...)

Good Luck in net!!!

When you say "available," do you mean

A) that friends are letting you sample these, or these are sitting in your garage ready to go?

-Or-

B) does "available" mean that you need to invest $1000 and you are stuck with what you got?

If the answer is A), then I would just try them all out and go with what works, but this seems like too obvious of an answer, so I am guessing it must be B) (in which case I can't help ya)

Thanks for the replies.I actually I have both of these sitting in my garage.I have used both sets a handful of times. What I have noticed is that in the Vaughn glove, it is a little harder to open and close it. I dont know if it is like that because it was a "practice" glove or that is just the way it is made. Other then that to me(really not knowing what im doing in net) they seem and feel the same. I think cause i have no control of rebounds due to lack of technique.

Thanks for the replies.I actually I have both of these sitting in my garage.I have used both sets a handful of times. What I have noticed is that in the Vaughn glove, it is a little harder to open and close it. I dont know if it is like that because it was a "practice" glove or that is just the way it is made. Other then that to me(really not knowing what im doing in net) they seem and feel the same. I think cause i have no control of rebounds due to lack of technique.

That's the only way to go, is just to try everything out. I wish I had an LHS by me, that I could at least try stuff on. Even better would be if they let me skate around and play with the stuff. Almost every time I play, I realize something about the fit of my gear, that I would not have realized, had I just been trolling forums and reading reviews (such as which stick lie is best for me, whether I need a belly guard, wrist guards, whether sizes are correct, etc.). Even wearing at home, it is hard to tell if my sizes are all right, because things shift around and what is comfortable when I am standing is not always comfortable when I am skating around.

Thanks for the advise. I guess im just worried that im going to face a shot from one of those jack asses who takes a slap shot a 6 feet in front of the goalie and not have the right/appropriate gear on to face a hard shot and get hurt. I know I will not be facing any pro or junior players but i want to make sure that i have a decent amount of protection.

Thanks for the advise. I guess im just worried that im going to face a shot from one of those jack asses who takes a slap shot a 6 feet in front of the goalie and not have the right/appropriate gear on to face a hard shot and get hurt. I know I will not be facing any pro or junior players but i want to make sure that i have a decent amount of protection.

Good mask, good cup... the rest will be fine. It only hurts if it misses you and goes into the net. :wink:

From a protection stand point, even off shore stuff is going to protect you from a shot. That's what "all of this stuff" is "designed" to do. Unless you are facing NHL shooters you don't need any beefed up gear.

Have you been playing since posting this? Havent' seen any replies in a while...

Yea since I started this post I was able to play only a few games :sad: I guess my back wasnt 100%. The surgeon said I was clear to play but my back told me a different story after a few games. Im going to not play to the new year to let it have the extra healing time while I build up my core again. I know what you mean about the gear being made to protect us, I just wanted to make sure I wasnt playing with inadequate stuff. After all I dont get paid to play and I need to keep my day job