Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dooley

Chassis Welding

Hey guys, new to the forums and need some advice.

The chassis on my skate recently cracked in two locations where it connects to the boot (see pic). While I can obviously buy new skates, I have thousands of miles on these and therefore, am very partial to them. They're a pair of Mission Proto VSI Team skates with the single axel Generator Pro Team aluminum chassis (about 15-years old) - laugh if you must, but I use these skates almost daily and would like to continue using them. Has anybody tried to weld a cracked chassis before?

Let me know if you've had any positive or negative experiences with this.

Many thanks in advance.

(Not my actual skates, but i can get photos if necessary)

TIG welding aluminum is quite difficult. There are some YouTube videos our there on basics of welding aluminum, but unless you are a very skilled welder, I wouldn't bother. Either pay a professional, or buy a new chassis.

The material used in the chassis was pretty good so if you can get it to a skilled welder then they should be able to repair it. The one chassis I know you can't repair is the tri-d-lite frame that Rbk and CCM used, it was made from rubbish material that just evaporates as you try to weld it.

Thanks for the replies guys. I know a couple of guys who weld aluminum and high grade stainless for boats so maybe I'll reach out to them. I wasn't looking to do it myself, just seeing if it can/has even been done. Thanks again - I'll post my results if I end up getting it done.