Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shades9323

Need skate recommendations?

I am looking for some outdoor skates. Will be playing a little street hockey on a basketball court. It is kind of in rough shape. I will also be using them on a rail-trail some as well. I'd like to keep the price at $150 or less. What should I look at?

I'd recommend you go for an all 80mm setup, the bigger the wheel the better it goes over rough surfaces. Then buy the hardest possible wheels you can find for them and you should get ok use out of the wheels. Alkali CA5's are on clearance and with a sale on (21% off at inline warehouse) they would be sub $150.

I'd recommend you go for an all 80mm setup, the bigger the wheel the better it goes over rough surfaces. Then buy the hardest possible wheels you can find for them and you should get ok use out of the wheels. Alkali CA5's are on clearance and with a sale on (21% off at inline warehouse) they would be sub $150.

How do you size these? I wear NikeBauer Supreme 50's on the ice. Should I size the skates similarly?

Very similar features but the Comp has our newer Chassis (lower to the ground, better turning, better balanced), wider forefoot and reduced toe spring. Both are good options, and you can't go wrong with either. I personally would go with the Comp (because of the Chassis).

What wheels would you suggest for outdoor skating? Can I pop the bearings out of the wheels that come with the skates and put them in other wheels?

What wheels would you suggest for outdoor skating? Can I pop the bearings out of the wheels that come with the skates and put them in other wheels?

you should be able to use the same bearings providing you do not get wheels with micro hubs. Seeing as those wheels are less popular you shouldn't run into that issue. Labeda Gripper Asphalts are one of the better wheels out there for outdoor inline. Right now Im currently skating on some tron wheels (http://www.hockeytron.com/Hockey-Skates/inline-hockey-wheels/Tron-Mega-Hz-Oudoor-Inline-Hockey-Wheels.html) I have only used them twice in a pickup game of hockey on a tennis court so I cannot comment on the durability just yet, but they are getting the job done. As far as wheels go you really can't go wrong with anything of a durometer rating of 82A and above. Also recommended is a skate tool. Something along the lines of this http://www.hockeytron.com/Hockey-Skates/inline-hockey-bearings/Sonic-Pro-Inline-Hockey-Skate-Tool.html . It will help with changing bearings and rotating wheels. This will help when changing bearings or rotating wheels.

How do you size these? I wear NikeBauer Supreme 50's on the ice. Should I size the skates similarly?

I don't know if the sizing has changed between NikeBauer Supreme line and the current Supreme line.

With reference to TotalOnes that fit me well for length (toes close to feathering the cap) and I'm a D then I'd buy a 1/2 size up eg TO's size 8 width D = Alkali size 8.5. If you are an E or EE and the length is perfect then you would be looking at 1 size up. Do the pencil test and see how they fit you for length then go from there.

If you have any access to Graf skates then Alkali fit similar in length to them.

you should be able to use the same bearings providing you do not get wheels with micro hubs. Seeing as those wheels are less popular you shouldn't run into that issue. Labeda Gripper Asphalts are one of the better wheels out there for outdoor inline. Right now Im currently skating on some tron wheels (http://www.hockeytron.com/Hockey-Skates/inline-hockey-wheels/Tron-Mega-Hz-Oudoor-Inline-Hockey-Wheels.html) I have only used them twice in a pickup game of hockey on a tennis court so I cannot comment on the durability just yet, but they are getting the job done. As far as wheels go you really can't go wrong with anything of a durometer rating of 82A and above. Also recommended is a skate tool. Something along the lines of this http://www.hockeytron.com/Hockey-Skates/inline-hockey-bearings/Sonic-Pro-Inline-Hockey-Skate-Tool.html . It will help with changing bearings and rotating wheels. This will help when changing bearings or rotating wheels.

At 155lbs, might an 80a wheel work ok for me outdoors? Or should I stick with 82-84?

At 155lbs, might an 80a wheel work ok for me outdoors? Or should I stick with 82-84?

Honestly I stopped playing competitive inline over 10 years ago so my knowledge of wheels isn't what it used to be. If I'm playing inline its just on a tennis court. I used to love using old indoor wheels (72a) grippers instead of outdoor wheels although they wore down too fast. You would defiantly get more grip from an 80A but consider the surface you are playing on. If it is really rough go with a hire rating so they last longer.

Honestly I stopped playing competitive inline over 10 years ago so my knowledge of wheels isn't what it used to be. If I'm playing inline its just on a tennis court. I used to love using old indoor wheels (72a) grippers instead of outdoor wheels although they wore down too fast. You would defiantly get more grip from an 80A but consider the surface you are playing on. If it is really rough go with a hire rating so they last longer.

Playing would just be on a tennis court for now and riding on asphalt railtrails. I was wondering about the 80's because there I haven't found any yellow 82-84's!

Playing would just be on a tennis court for now and riding on asphalt railtrails. I was wondering about the 80's because there I haven't found any yellow 82-84's!

I think you are talking about the Grippers which are not meant for outdoor use. The asphalt ones are orange and if you look on inline warehouse they are all 84A http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Labeda_Gripper_Asphalt_Outdoor_Wheels_2013/descpage-LGA3.html