Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LetsGoWings13

roller tips

I am gonna be playing for my high school and i can skate fast and i play well its just when i try and stop or turn when im flying i wipe out are there any tips on ways to correct this. What is the correct way to stop quickly in roller hockey.

Thanks in advance.

work your way up. Get some floor time, and gradually star slow and work upto top speeds. If not you can take some HUGE spills.... as I found out late last season.

ya i cant stop with out my feet going out from under me when im going fast. what is the correct way to stop. is it just like a hockey stop. also are there any strictly roller hockey message boards?

Keep your feet spread apart.. the mistake I make in ice is stopping with my feet apart like it's roller.

It's the same kind of motion but with your feet about shoulder length apart with more weight on your outside foot than on your inside foot.

Depending on your wheels and the surface you're playing on it's very hard to do a sliding stop on wheels.. I've done it once, by accident..

The more reliable way to do it is with a really, really tight power turn..

For a stop to the right - Put your right foot in way out in front of your left, get low, lean right, and carve a super hard turn with your front (right) foot on the inside. Obviously, reverse everything to do a stop to the left..

The hard part is making it a stop instead of a turn. If you leave too much weight on either skate, you'll roll through instead of stopping. Concentrate on driving your weight straight down into the middle of your stance - halfway between each skate. It's a very quick movement. If you make it too long and drawn out, you'll just keep rolling.

If you watch some of the better players, you'll pick it up in no time..

Look, it's impossible to stop on roller like you stop on the ice...Instead of breaking, you need to use your agility and you need to play smart. The best way to avoid contact when you are full speed is to make a quick turn...

Here we go again. At the pro and semi pro levels most of the players can come to a stop as quickly on inlines as on ice. In fact one of the the most commonly asked questions when other inline players are watching an XIHL, MLRH or tournament Pro game for the first time, is "how do they do that????, meaning stop like that.

These players do a derivitive of what is called a "jump stop" a little similar in fact to a jump stop when skiing. Basically the players have learned to unweight their skates, turn 90 degrees and plant. This is not the only kind of stop you will see in these games, but there are many who are proficient at it. With the advent of the super grippy wheels and now even better(read grippier) surfaces, there is no reason why inline stopping should take any more of a "pre-slow down" or "wide turn into a stop than ice"....except on a dusty or dirty floor.....which happens.

Basically these players will pivot, usually on their front wheel, to where the skate comes to a ninety degree angle to the direction of travel instead of actually "jumping". Like pivoting on the rocker of an ice skate, but doing it at the toe instead of the middle.

To learn this:

1) get fully protected so that when you fall you have the requisite padding in place (and fall you will)

2) lay your stick down sideways in fromt of you.

3) take maybe three steps back and skate slowly towards your stick laid crossways on the surface in front of you.

4) as you approach the stick jump over it and turn 90 degrees and land on your lead foot. Start with a short distance and skate slowly at first in order to learn the balance points, both side to side and front to back.

5) repeat this exercise in the opposite direction.

6) let your knees flex on landing to absorb the shock

7) as you get comfortable, gradually increase your distance and speed a little at a time....

8) as you get better and faster try landing with both feet turned instead of just one.

9) with practice you will be able to accomplish this at full speed, with minimal "lift- off" (the stick is no longer laid in front of you at this point)....pivoting on the front or sometimes even the rear wheels instead.

10) You will even see these advanced players stop on the "inside edge" of their trailing skate..just like ice.

The growth of grip technology is changing the way inline is played. Although you do not necessarily see it on all surfaces and with all the levels of play yet, at the top of the sport, there is no more big circle stops, very few "T-stops", and the change of direction during a game resembles that of ice at these levels. The full contact version of the sport tends to inspire learning these techniques faster than traditional non contact inline hockey.

Excellent tutorial, however I think most people when starting feel the wheels grip too well when stopping. I know a lot of people who wanted a more gradual stop on wheels, more like stopping on ice. On ice, most people stop over a couple of feet while on wheels you tend to stop much shorter when following the instructions you have posted.

You are right, it takes training, and practice time to build up to it....also that's why the knee bend is so important..working like a cushion to absorb the shock which is more severe than ice..as you point out.

On the few occasions I still do some skate coaching I start beginners on this technique right away. The way to start to get the feel for this is to put your stick on the ground and straddle it with your feet spread say shoulder width. Then starting by balancing on one leg, hop from one foot to the other across the stick, trying to stay still on landing, and let the knee sag to absorb the shock, as well as preload your leg for the next hop. Get into a rythym. This will immediately improve your balance and the feel for the angles you need.

When I used to run my training clinics, the kids would do slaloms which involved jumping over small cones to a dead stop then sprinting to the next cone with a change of direction, their legs were totally burned out after about 10 minutes. The same drill is also used for ice too of course, but it is less impact strenuous on ice.

By varying the wheels a bit, you can induce a bit of slide into this kind of stop, but there are other undesirable effects from doing this. Sometimes the floor will not allow it anyway, if dusty. To a degree it also depends on how high you lift and whether you come down on two skates or one. The higher you go, the more deflection of the wheel surfaces on landing and thus the greater the grip, so there are some variables to play with. Often if you just use one skate, you can also slide a bit, but the angles are critical..just like ice but different.

As I mentioned, one of the major differences between the inline game and ice hockey was always the issue of stopping. For a long time what Kove Ribs said was true. But I think he lives in a "deprived" region for inline..... :P ....there are no sport court facilities in Montreal..or at least none that anyone will admit to...But with these new wheels and floors, the pace of the game is changing to a great extent because of grip, both in stopping and starting. Once you accept that the game does not have to be played the way Kove Ribs describes, it opens a lot of doors for development and improvement in the sport.

You are right, it takes training, and practice time to build up to it....also that's why the knee bend is so important..working like a cushion to absorb the shock which is more severe than ice..as you point out.

On the few occasions I still do some skate coaching I start beginners on this technique right away. The way to start to get the feel for this is to put your stick on the ground and straddle it with your feet spread say shoulder width. Then starting by balancing on one leg, hop from one foot to the other across the stick, trying to stay still on landing, and let the knee sag to absorb the shock, as well as preload your leg for the next hop. Get into a rythym. This will immediately improve your balance and the feel for the angles you need.

When I used to run my training clinics, the kids would do slaloms which involved jumping over small cones to a dead stop then sprinting to the next cone with a change of direction, their legs were totally burned out after about 10 minutes. The same drill is also used for ice too of course, but it is less impact strenuous on ice.

By varying the wheels a bit, you can induce a bit of slide into this kind of stop, but there are other undesirable effects from doing this. Sometimes the floor will not allow it anyway, if dusty. To a degree it also depends on how high you lift and whether you come down on two skates or one. The higher you go, the more deflection of the wheel surfaces on landing and thus the greater the grip, so there are some variables to play with. Often if you just use one skate, you can also slide a bit, but the angles are critical..just like ice but different.

As I mentioned, one of the major differences between the inline game and ice hockey was always the issue of stopping. For a long time what Kove Ribs said was true. But I think he lives in a "deprived" region for inline..... :P ....there are no sport court facilities in Montreal..or at least none that anyone will admit to...But with these new wheels and floors, the pace of the game is changing to a great extent because of grip, both in stopping and starting. Once you accept that the game does not have to be played the way Kove Ribs describes, it opens a lot of doors for development and improvement in the sport.

Yeah, exactly, the floor we play on are not grippy at all...

Jump stopping is pretty much the one thing I've added in the last year or so that's helped me in leaps and bounds. Especially on defense it's pretty hard to get anything change of direction pulled on me.

I know...I tried to find one when I was up there in early January last year for my son to practice on ....nada.....I couldn't even find someone to tell me there wasn't any lol.

The newer wheels have made this possible on most of the newer dedicated sport surfaces for a while now, but the latest floors like Exxcess and Skate Court are even more grippy than Sport Court, even though the puck slides faster and bounces less. Add these together and you can really cut and move like you are wearing edges on ice hockey skates. Different technique a bit mind you..but hey..if you are a good skater, you will adjust pretty fast. Then it's a huge difference.

One very underrated and overlooked thing about grip/stopping is the actual building keeping their floor in good shape. So many buildings don't really give a shit about cleaning and dust buildup unless it's a national.

I've only ever seen one bloke in Aus who can move on Inlines like he can on Ice. I never got the chance to play against/with him either. Which Im told is one of the biggest hockey privledges one can have in Aus.

Yes the principles of both versions remain pretty much the same....closure on defence, and creating space on offence.

Assuming you have good technique, creating space and closing space depend largely on grip:

out accelerate your opponent

out stop your opponent

out turn your opponent

And most importantly............out think your opponent(get a grip.... :D )

Having more overall speed can also help, but only when the above are already true.

For too long the acceleration, turning, and particularily the stopping, within the sport of inline hockey were accepted as being the major limitations when compared to ice hockey. For these reasons the sport of inline hockey is and has been somewhat more dependant on advances in technology than ice hockey. Although the newer floor and wheel technologies have not become universally available, as they become more common, the face of the inline game will gradually change.

your legs will be spread apart wider than in ice also and the way u turn to go to a stop is different but I think MDE3 explained it well enough. If you try to stop the way you do on ice you will end up spinning around like a figure skater