Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Precision

Heel lifts + Superfeet

So I have a pair of custom MX3s and under the recommendation of my fitter I had 3/8 heel lifts added. Now with all my modifications the skates are not "light"... Now I wouldn't call them heavy but if you held mine in one hand and a stock pair of mx3 in the other you'd say wtf.

Now I like the forward pitch of my Vapor X90s so that was the intent of the heel lifts but honestly my legs are getting burnt out so fast with the combination of the lifts and how the superfeet make my foot sit in the skate that I am thinking of having them taken off. This is the first time using them even having used edge holders before. Also I don't know how much heel lifts weigh but I could use a little less weight on my feet. Does anyone else use heel lifts? Or has in the past?

So I have a pair of custom MX3s and under the recommendation of my fitter I had 3/8 heel lifts added. Now with all my modifications the skates are not "light"... Now I wouldn't call them heavy but if you held mine in one hand and a stock pair of mx3 in the other you'd say wtf.

Now I like the forward pitch of my Vapor X90s so that was the intent of the heel lifts but honestly my legs are getting burnt out so fast with the combination of the lifts and how the superfeet make my foot sit in the skate that I am thinking of having them taken off. This is the first time using them even having used edge holders before. Also I don't know how much heel lifts weigh but I could use a little less weight on my feet. Does anyone else use heel lifts? Or has in the past?

Thats kind of a bummer but comfort and performance heavily (no pun intended) outweighs the weight of the skate for me. I put the forward pitch on mine too. Love the power i get but its such an efficient skate that i too am burned out quick and i find myself gliding more. Might switch back to the stock pitch because of that.

It's a trade off for sure but i also have a level 3 stiffness as well as +2 facing and traditional eyelets so all of that adds weight but the pros outweigh the cons I am just too much of a defensive minded skater for the lift I'm getting between the superfeet and the heel lift. The only reason I added the superfeet was because I was getting serious rubbing above my outter ankle.

That rubbing you describe above your outer ankle is what prompted me to ditch the superfeet for the stock insoles. This was on the original TotalOne's, but I was going through the same process of trying to match the pitch/skating feel of my Vapors. No edge holder obviously, but I had the same heel lift and used superfeet at first.

The little extra bit from the superfeet was putting my outer ankle bone, or malleolus to be exact, right up on the eyelets whenever I was flexing forward trying to skate. That rubbing against no padding became a problem. With the stock insoles it didn't happen nearly as much- I guess because I sank back into the heel pocket a little more. Trying to get more forward flex in an attempt to get the vapor feel just compounded the problem and I ended up getting a cheapo bunga-type sleeve with padding in that spot. Not ideal but it did help.

It looks like you added the superfeet to fix the problem, which means maybe this is a volume issue...? I know that for all the generic talk that Vapors are lower volume than the Total's, I never ran into the anklelbone/eyelet problem with Vapors.

Anyone using Superfeet ever find that they were down and start to take up less volume over time? I have been finding lately that I have more volume in my skates (or at least it feels that way).

The plastic nubs on the bottom of the heel cup are probably wearing down.

A properly-fitted Superfeet insole is designed to move within the skate. The bottom of the front of the insole should be beveled for that to happen.

The plastic nubs on the bottom of the heel cup are probably wearing down.

A properly-fitted Superfeet insole is designed to move within the skate. The bottom of the front of the insole should be beveled for that to happen.

Ok.. I'll check the nubs and for sure I can get a new pair. What do you mean by having a "beveled" front?

There should be a 1mm or so gap between the skate and the sole in the forefoot so that it can move. The bottom of the footbed should be beveled as well - easiest way to do is is with a cross grinder.

Sorry to highjack but curious to know if anyone has tried the Superfeet Carbon insole? MY LHS stopped stocking the yellows and have these out instead.

Sorry to highjack but curious to know if anyone has tried the Superfeet Carbon insole? MY LHS stopped stocking the yellows and have these out instead.

Carbons don't really work well in most player skates - the heel cup is too wide.

They work better in goal skates, and in some cases, Easton Makos. I have Carbons in my sneakers.

3/8 heel lifts seem pretty extreme, what if instead of removing them you replaced them with some smaller lifts, perhaps 3mm?

Because your foot still moves in the skate, in both directions.

That way, the sole still stays aligned.

Huh. Interesting. Just to clarify, you mean front to back and not side to side right?

Carbons don't really work well in most player skates - the heel cup is too wide.

They work better in goal skates, and in some cases, Easton Makos. I have Carbons in my sneakers.

I have a pair of carbons in my makos. The wide heel is definitely not a match for me but the SF yellows kill my arches and seem to raise my instep too much.

No, both directions. The point of SF is to stabilize your heel and move with the foot as it moves in the boot.

Wow. I've been using SF wrong for the last 5 years. :sad: