Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nyanad

New skates for a begginer

Since it's my first post here i wanted to say hi to everyone!

Ok, so i decided to order a pair of skates online, since the nearest good equipped hockey store is 600km away from me.

After going through all the fitting guides i have found on the web it seemed that Vapor X50R in 5.5 size R would fit me perfectly.

But when i actually got them and tried on, they felt a little too loose in the mid foot area, when i stood up there seemed to be a little too much space in the ankle area, i could barely brush the toecap with my biggest finger and the boot was uncomfortably low.

However, the heel felt locked in place. But i dont like the skate fit overall, it seems uncomfortable for me.

I would like to find something with a very tight fit around my whole foot, with the boot wrapping it around nicely.

Was wondering if its just a matter of breaking the skates in, or i just got the wrong size or model.

For reference, i'm 5' 4'', 139 pounds, left foot is 24.8 cm/8.5cm width, right is 24.5 cm/9.5 cm.

I also took the wet test, to determine my foot arch and it seems i have a normal arch. This is how my foot looks in the insole.

Would going a size down, or trying a different brand/model be a good idea, or should i just leave the skates and give them some time to shape to my foot? What do you think? Any help highly appreciated !

Ps. sorry for the poor english, its not my native language :)

WP_20150323_021.jpg

WP_20150323_019.jpg

Have a look at the alkali skates. They are fully heat moldable to a level which anhilates the competition. Simply get your skate length right and , and mold the skates. You will get the boot wrap and ankle lock you desire!

I see a couple of issues.

Looking at your foot on the footbed, I'd say those skates are at least a 1/2 size to big for you. To check for length, take the laces out, pull the tongue right out, foot in the boot and push forward so your toes are brushing the toe cap. Get a pencil, bend forward in the boot and see if you can slide the pencil down between the back of your heel and the boot. If you can slide it down easily to the footbed then the boot is at least a size to big for you.

I'd also be worried about the width. Your foot overlaps the footbed quite a bit. Either you need to look for a wider boot / size (EE) or a boot that is very moldable or accept the fact that you will need to get your boot punched to remove any hotspots (something you can do yourself relatively easily with just a few simple tools). If a D width fits your heel then you need to consider staying in the D size and getting the forefoot punched, whilst an EE has a wider forefoot it also has a wider heel area.

My foot is 25cm's in length and I can fit a size 6 XR5 or Premier. I wonder how you are measuring your foot length when a size 5.5 footbed looks way to big for you? Best way to measure your foot length is put a sheet of A4 paper against a wall. Put you foot on the paper with your heel against the wall. Use a ruler to get a straight line downward from your longest toe, mark the edge of the ruler then measure from the mark to the edge of the paper.

If the boot doesn't fit it won't get any better with use. If you haven't skated in it consider returning it for something else or another size. Alkali offer a great fit but fit a 1/2 size up ie if you fit a size 5 Bauer you will need a size 5.5 Alkali. Have a read of the Alkali thread.

Thanks for the responses. I did the measurments again using your method and leading the pencil really tight around my foot and the results that came out were 23,7 and 24, so quite a lot difference ! I took the test and could slide the pencil down quite easily, so i guess the boot is too big. I looked over the Alkali thread, but the shipping prices of those skates to Europe, at least to my area are bloody expensive (80-110$!) and i would like to find something in the low price range, let's say for max 200$. How about the Mission skates?

Thanks for all the answers. Had last week the opportunity to visit a pro shop and get the skates fitted, ended up in bauer x60r size 4.5R. So i guess im just being terrible at doing proper measurments. Anyway, the skates are great!